gahendo

Rx100 ii setup help

I already have a rx100 ii and picked up a used nauticam housing for it. I also have a uwl-h100 lense for it and am looking for advice to finish up a beginner setup. I really just want to be able to take pics of the reef and my dive buddy. As of now i will mainly just use it for general photos just to show my younger daughter.

Will i need two strobes or will one be ok? What else may i need? Apprericiate any tips :)

Thanks

With the flat UWL-H100 you can survive with a single strobe with a 110 degrees diffuser getting really close.

If you have the dome the strobe won't cover the lens field of view and really you need two strobes

Invest in good quality strobes such as Inon Z240 there are a lot of suggestions on my blog for rx100 users

With the flat UWL-H100 you can survive with a single strobe with a 110 degrees diffuser getting really close.

If you have the dome the strobe won't cover the lens field of view and really you need two strobes

Invest in good quality strobes such as Inon Z240 there are a lot of suggestions on my blog for rx100 users

Hi- I have read your blog and many posts and I'm sure you have answered many of the same repetitive questions but it seems that I am still a little confused so if you had the time to clarify I would appreciate it. I currently have the sonyrx100II and wanted to buy the nauticam housing; I understand most people like the UWL-H100 28 LD (In your blog you had the AD) but it seems the LD is maybe newer or most recent or has the locking device either way in your newer posts you mention the LD vs AD. I would also need the adapter and the only one I could find was either the Nauticam 67 to LD adapter that was about $160, but I wasn't sure if on the Inon website if the M67-LD mount converter for UCL-330/165M67 is the same??

You also mention for video you shot with the UWL-H100 (not the 28?) and used a filter. Are there no filters available for the UWL-H10028LD? I guess my main question is I would love to take great photos and then switch to video in between some shots since I am still a beginner I don't think I would be able to have the ideal set up like yourself for video vs photography- so my question is what is the better lens for this? I understand for video the white balance is not so good but the filter would have to be put on before hand as it can't be removed underwater.

For video I was also just thinking of mounting my gopro off the camera if that was even possible but I guess I should worry about one thing at a time.

I haven't really dabbled into Macro yet so I don't think I would need those yet. If you or anyone else had any insight that would be great!

I used the 28AD lenses on the mark II camera for still images and the LD version for video. For the newer mark III and following it is only LD mount as the master lens is too wide for the 28AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a Sony RX100 II for a year, until I relegated to backup by getting a housing for my Nikon D810.

I went whole-hog at first, buying the Sony, a Nauticam housing, dual strobes, focus light, and both dome and macro wet lenses. The macro was on a flip adapter so I could shoot with or without it underwater. I used the camera on three dive trips, sometimes snorkeling. I ended up never using the dome port, and my macros didn't come out when I tried that lens. (Probably just wasn't as extremely close as I needed to be.)

Personally, I bought the rig as a step up from Canon point-n-shoots with pop-up flash. Lack of (external) flash was just too limiting after 9 years. Having dual flashes made a huge difference, but then it was a huge difference I was going for. Using the rig without flash would still give plenty of good results, particularly in shallow water.

For video, I used the focus light (V24 Fishlite), but it was too weak for subjects more than 2-3 feet away. I never got the white balance right either, but then I never really worked at video. But in general if you want well-lit video below about 15 feet, you need some serious video lights. The camera will do fine for video without lights, but the colors won't be there.

The Nauticam seems a seriously good housing. Enough so that I got another one for the Nikon.

Sony dive shots, including video, here: http://www.cjcphoto.net/roatan2015/index.html

It's a pretty decent little camera. I found that the menu was hard to read underwater, so I turned the LCD brightness way up. That made the shots look very overexposed when reviewing on LCD, but if you trust the histograms you're fine. I found that I got better results setting shutter priority and locking in a minimum 1/160th speed. Other modes were allowing shutter speed to drop as low as 1/30th, and I got a lot of blurry shots that way.

Sponsors

Advertisements