Sign in to follow this  
bhallster

5D Mark III / Nikon Lens Underwater housing

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III and use a converter to shoot with old Nikkor AI-S Primes. Is anyone familiar with using this type of setup with an underwater housing...Any brand?

Thanks!

Brian

This could be done in virtually any housing as long as you accept some functionality compromise, and are adventurous with DIY gearing, or are willing to pay dearly for custom stuff.

You need two lens controls - Aperture, and Focus, for total control.

Only Seacam has two lens controls on the housing body. So theoretically in that housing you could have full lens control.

Another option would be to just preset aperture, and create a focus gear. This is far more commonly done in these kind of installs, and this can be done in basically any housing.

I have used several old manual focus Nikon lenses on Canon DSLRs - pre-Ai, Ai, Ais it makes no difference. For example I have a vintage two-part 1200mm ED lens (not Ai or Ais), - it was a bit less expensive than the Canon lenses that is two stops faster. Good for those long distance wildlife shots over water. I have not however used any old Nikkor under water in a Canon housing.

The issue with Seacam is that the Nikon gears are a slightly small diameter than the Canon gears. The only MF Nikkor that I have tried under water is the 15/3.5 lens. That was over a decade ago and in a Nikon housing. Since I was doing remote control I pre-focused. However only a few pix were in focus - I soon replaced this lenses with the 14mm AF!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements