kstokell

Oly 60mm with +7 Dyron diopter and focus range?

I have a question for the "super macro" shooters out there. I have just started using my new E-M1 rig and have the following observations regarding my macro setup:

- when using only the Oly 60 mm. lens I can focus on a subject from about 8 cm. to infinity

- when I add the +7 Dyron diopter I only have a narrow focus window of about a minimum of 2 to a maximum of 6 cm. from the subject

Although I have managed to take a few good shots with the diopter fitted (see below), it does mean I need to get very close to the subject to be within the focus window.

So my question is why am I unable to focus to infinity when the diopter is fitted, is this a physical limitation of this type of setup, or would for example a Nauticam CMC give me a better range of focus.

post-53307-0-50177500-1463316822_thumb.jpg

Physics is physics and you can't change the way that diopters work. Working distance with a strong diopter is dependent on the design of the diopter but with the CMC for example you still need to be very close. Optically (at least in my hands) the CMC is way more better than the Dyron, but the physics of the setup don't change much.

Bill

Physics is physics and you can't change the way that diopters work. Working distance with a strong diopter is dependent on the design of the diopter but with the CMC for example you still need to be very close. Optically (at least in my hands) the CMC is way more better than the Dyron, but the physics of the setup don't change much.

Bill

Way better in what way Bill?

My Dyron +7 had lots of chromatic aberration and was not terribly sharp near the edges. My CMC has very little to no CA and is sharp across the whole frame. Color rendition seems (probably only in my mind) better too.

Bill

My Dyron +7 had lots of chromatic aberration and was not terribly sharp near the edges. My CMC has very little to no CA and is sharp across the whole frame. Color rendition seems (probably only in my mind) better too.

Bill

Thanks! I'm thinking of upgrading to the CMC.

Sponsors

Advertisements