Sign in to follow this  
tx51210

Compact Flash Cards and Coolpix 5000

Just got a Coolpix 5000 and was researching the larger compact flash cards. The Nikon book does not list anything larger than 10x 160mg in their book. Might be due to the larger cards being newer.

Anyone using larger compact flash cards (256mg and up) that are listed as faster ie: 16x.

The industry seems all over the map on standards and it is rapidly changing. I just don't want to get burned buying a couple of expensive cards that do not work with the camera.

[Edited on 2-2-2002 by tx51210]

I have a Lexar 160meg 10x and a 128meg 10x. I got both of them well over a year ago and they don't seem "slow" to me.

The "10x" denomination is pretty arbitrary, IMO, but Ithink it is supposed to correspond to ____ Kilobytes per second

It basically comes down to the fact that the faster the card, the faster your camera will be able to write to it and the faster you will be able to transfer images to your computer.

There is an excellent comparison of CF media at:

www.dpreview.com

I would just thank your lucky stars that media is so CHEAP lately. It wasn't 1.5 years ago.

Cheers

James Wiseman

What I am really wanting to know is if 256mg, 512mg and up cards will work ok with the Coolpix 5000.

Best place to check this out, is the digital media speed reviews at dpreview.com, and also, they have the most active discussion forums, including for nikon, and for storage&media.

The forums there have a good search capability, so you hardly ever have to even ask - just search.

(Hint - hint! Eric! ;)

The answer is, the high speed name brands, (lexar, etc), are not all that fast, and are absurdly over priced.

The generally fastest are the ridata, and you can get 256meg for about $115 or so.

512's are still a bit of a premium, but just barely any more.

Good luck.

Don

Hey!

This forum supports searching! ;) The link is in the upper left-hand portion of the page.

I should figure out how to customize these templates, if it is at all possible. :)

Somehow, my browser forgot I was logged in, so the above reply from anonymous, is really from me...

Don

this XMB forum is the default XMB install. There are a TON of templates, organized nicely by a single drop-down menu. *sigh*

I'll get around to making this match the rest of the site one of these days, though. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements