fxvideo

Gates SP44 Acrylic port polishing out watermarks

I have a Gates SP44 acrylic port which has some watermarks in the glare coating. I know that underwater you won't see it but with curtain angles you will see the marks on your shots.

Can anyone tell me if I can polish this water marks/coating out my port completely.

Regards

Marcel

Are they water marks from salt, Marcel? If so, I'd suggest a long soak in a mild solution of water and white vinegar.

I have a Gates SP44 acrylic port which has some watermarks in the glare coating. I know that underwater you won't see it but with curtain angles you will see the marks on your shots.

Can anyone tell me if I can polish this water marks/coating out my port completely.

Regards

Marcel

Are you sure it is acrylic, the glass ports are coated but I don't think the acrylic versions are coated.

​If it is acrylic, use the Novus 2 piece polish to restore it.

I think you are right, this is a glass version. I guess polishing is out of the question then. I have used the vinegar method with my Fathom port but with no result.

I have just got the confirmation that the dome is acrylic, so polishing is a option is guess.

Your local Gates dealer will be able to supply you the Novus 2 part polish.

Depending on how bad it is, you may need to sandpaper it first before applying the Novus.

A bit of elbow grease and you will be fine.

I have already contacted Gates for some advice. I did order the Novus kit, so hopefully I will fix my problems. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the replied so fare.

There is another thread somewhere here about polishing ports. A search should find it. Some users recommended Micro-Mesh for more difficult jobs.

I have already contacted Gates for some advice. I did order the Novus kit, so hopefully I will fix my problems. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the replied so fare.

Post up a photo if you can of the port but if it is not scratched you should be able to restore it with the Novus but if that does not work well enough you will need some very fine sandpaper, something like 8000-12000 grit paper and then apply the Novus.

I used the NOVUS 3 and 2 on my Nauticam acrylic ports several times now.

You won't be able to remove huge scratches with it. Consider to start directly with 3 and then 2. Repeat the procedure four or five times. Wash with water between each step to remove Novus and to check how it is going on.

Even if you do not remove completely the scratches they will be invisible underwater.

I have just received the port and order the NOVUS kit today. Hopefully it will arrival at the end of the week. Looking at the port there are no scratches at all only the water marks, should I start with No.2?

I'm not sure what are water marks. Do you mean water limestone residuals?

In that case I would just use vinegar or, even better, citric acid (one small bag used of coffee machine cleaning). Just soak for few minutes your dome in a water diluited soultion.

If you use Novus, N. 2 should be enough.

Bye

I , finally, received my port and it looks like I'm screwed. It looks like it is a glass port, the text on the port is Gates SP44 G. I think the G means that it is glass. I have taken the port apart and soaked the glass dome in vinegar. If I want to use citric acid, in what concentration should I mix it?

If I want to use citric acid, in what concentration should I mix it?

20% is enough for most common uses

Sponsors

Advertisements