buddy

packing and transporting my rig

Peter, I've got equipment envy <_< <_< <_<....2 D2X's....that's not fair :):)

Karl

Karl,

I 'll share the insurance & service cost's with you ............. No problems.

Peter

Just a quick update.

Total weight 106 kg's.

Excess baggage charge Cairns - Denpasar $1200 AUD ( about $900 USD ). Lets see how we go with the Indonesian Island hop.

Karl, still want to share.

to be continued................

Just curious - how does that compare to the actual flight price ?

I figure that a big guy weighs around 120kg + 20kg baggage allowance + 10kg carry-on.

So that's 150kg budgeted per person.

Are excess baggage charges in proportion to the cost of the flight ?

Mark,

I too am going through the packing issue's.  It looks like we are heading to the same place. I fly into Sorong May 7  - 7.15am

I'll be the guy PLEADING at the baggage counter - see you there !

Peter -- we managed to NOT PAY A CENT from Bali -> Makassar -> Sorong, and back. I went with steve drogin, and he is a master negotiator. Be nice, and tell them you've never had to pay in the past, and that you are a photographer on assignment, etc. etc. They may take you to see someone in a back room, but if you just refuse to pay the full amount, they'll certainly discount or waive the fee.

of course, steve was the one doing the negotiating. :)

Hey, guys. Does anyone out there have recommendations for very-light, hardside luggage with wheels? No fancy features -- just tough, light, rolling, and capability for locking with zipties. :lol:

Want something relatively big so I can pack Seacam housing, dome, strobes + clothing and wetsuits in it, for trips where heavy luggage is not an option...

I bought a Benetton suitcase for less than $200 about a year ago. It's big enough to accomodate 2 seacam housing, 4 strobes, 4 ports and extensions, and more arms, clamps, sync cords and other bits than I want to list here.

It's also apparently strong enough to withstand baggage handlers, as it already has a fair number of trips under its belt. :lol:

And best of all, it weighs about 10lbs empty, including the custom foam inserts. Oh, and I lock it with a numbered lock, 2 keys, zip ties, and a belt :D

Eric, I have two for you:

Our scooters come with a case from Seahorse case. I know, I know, I'd never heard of them either! For the size of the case it's quite lightweight (75% of equivalent sized Storm case), and pretty robust (I'd say 90% of a Storm case). The scooters use the Hurricane SE-1220 case, which is completely watertight and no metal.

Although I haven't used it for diving, SKB makes a series of Military Retractable Handle Cases that I've used for some very delecate, hideously expensive equipment and the baggage gorillas haven't been able to break anything yet. The sides are pretty thin, and the foam takes on more of the load, but these are fully ATA compliant and weigh half of an equivalent sized Storm case. They are not quite watertight and the aluminum might corrode if left on deck, though. This would have been my first choice for our scooters if they didn't have a stock box.

All the best, James

Hi Eric,

bought today at Adorama a Kata's CCC-10 bag for video system. It's is soft and pack all of my rig (Aquatica housing, Dome Port, Flat port, extensions, EOS5D body, 5 lenses, 2 strobes). I loved this bag, mainly because I can carrier with me into the flights.

Regards

Fabio

Hey, guys. Does anyone out there have recommendations for very-light, hardside luggage with wheels? No fancy features -- just tough, light, rolling, and capability for locking with zipties. :)

Want something relatively big so I can pack Seacam housing, dome, strobes + clothing and wetsuits in it, for trips where heavy luggage is not an option...

I bought a Lowepro Trekker Pro to carry all my gear in. The Trekker pro is the same as the Nature Trekker except that it has two detachable side pouches that I don't use. ....

Those side pockets on the Trekker Pro can be very useful - each is perfect to take a standard bottle of Bacardi Oro Rum (or equivalent). I also sometimes load all my batteries into one of them to take the weight out of the checked bags.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

• Like 2

My new secret weapon is a Samsonite F'lite. It was designed to be light. It weights 13 pounds, semihard case, has great wheels and doesn't look like I have thousands of dollars of equipment in it. I weigh 160 pounds and can sit on this suitcase. It does sag about 1 inch but will hold my weight.

It happens to have approximately the same dimension as my Pelican 1650 which weighs 29 pounds empty. This is a big difference. The Pelican 1650 padding (as well as the lid compartments, will fit this suitcase. I also purchased a backpackers sleeping pad which is extra light and semicompressed and cut it up for extra padding.

I've bought stuff from this place a couple times, and they seem to be reputable:

http://www.luggagebase.com/btc/search.aspx...046002500000000

My new secret weapon is a Samsonite F'lite. It was designed to be light. It weights 13 pounds, semihard case, has great wheels and doesn't look like I have thousands of dollars of equipment in it. I weigh 160 pounds and can sit on this suitcase. It does sag about 1 inch but will hold my weight.

It happens to have approximately the same dimension as my Pelican 1650 which weighs 29 pounds empty. This is a big difference. The Pelican 1650 padding (as well as the lid compartments, will fit this suitcase. I also purchased a backpackers sleeping pad which is extra light and semicompressed and cut it up for extra padding.

I've bought stuff from this place a couple times, and they seem to be reputable:

http://www.luggagebase.com/btc/search.aspx...046002500000000

Fantastic, Will. That's the same suitcase I was looking at, and having you confirm that Pelican 1650 padding fits in it will pretty much cement my decision to give this a try.

How much does the Pelican 1650 padded dividers and lid compartment weigh? I have to now decide between padded dividers and using tupperware and other stuff...

Fantastic, Will. That's the same suitcase I was looking at, and having you confirm that Pelican 1650 padding fits in it will pretty much cement my decision to give this a try.

How much does the Pelican 1650 padded dividers and lid compartment weigh?  I have to now decide between padded dividers and using tupperware and other stuff...

Even that is to much weigh for me, with the restrictions of 8-10 Kg, the 13 pound take too much from it.

My choice is a super light suitcase I found, its have no name, its very cheap and most important it's weight is less the 5 Kg. Of course its not give too much protections to the equipment but since it’s with me all the time It's more then enough for me.

Actually for the next time I'm thinking on using a very simple side bag that its originally purpose was as cooler, its weight is few pounds and its can carry most of my equipment.

Has anyone here flown TACA recently? I've not flown on them since 2002 and they now have a 22-lb. carry-on limit which is very restrictive if you don't want to check gear through and leave it at the mercy of TSA or other security personnel to mishandle. In the past I've carried all my gear in a Pelican 1650, but even that is out of the question now if trying to avoid surcharges for bags over 50 lbs. That case so easily holds more than 20 lbs. of equipment that the case itself is the problem, at 29 lbs. Will's use of the Samsonite case sounds like an idea of merit.

But, for now, I can pack a fully functional set of photo gear into my LowePro CompuTrekker Plus AW and get that down to 35 lbs. by carrying my notebook PC separately, as I've discussed at http://ambress.com/D200/DX200/carryon.htm. That is within the 40 lb. limits of some carriers but obviously still well over TACA's puny 22 lb. limit.

The idea of wearing lots of pockets and doing the equipment shuffle between some possible weighing-in point and the security screening is also clever. For now though, I'll just plan on handling the bag as if it's not too heavy, and just be casual about everything....I don't recall ever having a carry-on weighed and maybe I can escape that this time around too.

Daryl

The Samsonite F'Lite works well and protected my equipment. I packed 2 Ikelite dslr housings, 3 DS 125 plus 2 spare batteries, arms and clamps for 3 rigs, an 8 inch dome port and 2 macro ports, 9 battery chargers, an international 3 plug powerstrip, tools, and 3 synch cords. plus an abundance of extra padding. I didn't even have to squish anything. The total weight was still 60 pounds but this is better than 80.

I don't know how much the padded dividers weigh. I would guess about 3 pounds as they are pretty light weight foam padding with lightweight nylon covering. The specs on the Pelican site shows that the pluck foam weighs about 6 pounds. (the pluck foam is really not suited for underwater photogs as it disintegrates with use and wastes space). The dividers use a denser foam but much less square inches of it.

I also reused my Pelican 1650 lid divider, which helped me clear space in my carryon Tenba packpack which carries 2 dslr bodies, 3 lenses, laptop, critical chargers, iPod, diopter set, etc.

I'll be using this setup again in my future travels.

• Like 1

Used this Samsonite FlyLite 31" on my La PaZ trip.

My complete Subal D2X rig with 9" dome, FP, 3 DS 125 strobes with 2 batteries and various accessories.

Weight was 48 lbs (50 lb limit)

I used the foam from a pelican 1650

A hard case with an O ring and 3 latches.

I used a Pelican 1510 as my carry on. It has wheels and can fit easily in most over heads or under the seat.

I carried my lap top in this Otter case.

I carried it as my personnal item.

It is their medium size laptop case. It will hold a 15" lap top. This is with a 12" G4.

I had no problem with the pelican as my carry on and the Otter case as my personal item. The limit for AA to Cabo was 2 50 lbs checked bags and that is what I carried.

post-72-1157833804_thumb.jpg

post-72-1157833916_thumb.jpg

post-72-1157834070_thumb.jpg

Having returned a week ago from Roatan, I'm happy to report that my Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack served me well in carrying my new Sea & Sea DX-D200/Nikon D200 rig on the trip. Concerned about the 22-lb. limit for carry-ons that was posted on TACA's website, I bought the Samsonite F'lite suitcase to substitute for my Pelican 1650, heeding the advice in this thread. I thought I'd use the F'lite suitcase as my main gear carrier, but I just didn't feel too trusting that TSA wouldn't inspect and mishandle the precious cargo within. Instead, the F'lite case became my regular suitcase for clothing, toilietries, and the durable photo goods (strobe arms, clamps, batteries, charger, etc.), and other items, the bulk of those actually packed inside a 48-can Igloo soft-sided cooler, separate from the clothing.

Why the cooler? Well, firstly, Anthony's Key Resort has day trips to Barbaret and Cayos Cochinos, either of which if taken, would've found me wanting some sort of protection for an extra port and lens, and perhaps my Nikon D70, and other items. I could've used my backpack but that was really more than I needed and I also preferred not getting it wet, which would likely happen amidst all the wet divers and gear onboard. The cooler was a cheap and lightweight solution which I deliberately bought in a size large enough to accommodate my two Inon Z-240 stropes and DX-D200 housing w/o arms, that alone right around 22 lbs. This facilitated an in-airport repack if needed, pulling the loaded cooler from the F'lite case and replacing it with my Lowepro backpack. I could empty the items from the cooler that were packed in smaller pouches, laying them loose in the suitcase as space allowed, then put the camera housing & strobes into the cooler and that would be my carry-on. Of course, I could've kept the backpack as my carry-on and moved items from it also, but I felt it might give the lenses and other photo gear better protection in the suitcase than would the cooler.

But, having never recalled TACA weighing carry-ons and counting on that to remain true, such was the case. My backpack was about 34 lbs. as I'd finally packed it (similar to what I show here but with D70 body and Epson P2000 added, all arms/clamps/batteries moved to the F'lite case) and with my Dell laptop carried as my separate personal item. As for using the cooler, the low season at AKR didn't enough guests for a day trip, so I never needed the cooler. So, I guess the trip was largely a practice exercise for how I'd transport all my gear. Meanwhile, TSA left my F'lite case alone but did dump my dive bag for an inspection, repacking it rather carelessly. Fortunately most items in the bag were tolerant of such neglectful handling.

Daryl

I intend to carry on my 9in Sea and Sea Dome when I travel and have heard that some use a tupperware like cake dish to protect their dome port. I have searched many shopping malls and such, but have not come across an ideal container for this task. Can anyone offer advice on a specic product that they use?

Many thanks!

John

Hello everyone. Currently looking at a better/lighter way to transport my rig.

How do you lock the Samsonite F'lite with Zip Ties?

The locks aren't TSA locks, right?

Thanks,

Joel

Newmediasoup, LLC

Will a pelican 1560 work as a carry on, or is it too big?

I have used a 1560 as a carry on in over ten dive trips, but it is definitely over the legal size limit. Qantas charged me extra baggage fees, made me check it in since they will only allow 15 kg as a carry on. Other than that, only one other time I did check it in when it would not fit into the overhead compartment of a smaller USAir jet, since it will not fit under any planes seat (to wide and high). I just purchased a Lowepro roller 3 that I will use as a check in for my big Subal D2Xs housing. It looks like a regular soft side suitcase and does not say good stuff inside like a Pelican case does. 45 pounds for a 1560 and another 45 pounds for a backpack with body, lens and laptop is getting to be just to much to lug around as a carry on.

What are people doing to pack these monster 8" dome ports in their carryon's? Pics if you have them please... :P

Thanks,

JP

Edited by johnspierce

i found a small rubbermaid bucket and cut it down to the right height for an almost perfect fit to my 8 inch aquatica dome with shade

also found a plastic container lid that provides protection for the macro port and fits under the port cover

you need accurate dimensions or the ports and go to a store or two that has a good selection of plastic houseware stuff

Sponsors

Advertisements