buddy

packing and transporting my rig

pelican 1535 trekpak system is a good idea, however it weight around 14kg, I afraid get caught at the check in gate every time lol

I've been planning and trying all sorts of configurations to get the main components of my system (camera, housing, lenses, ports, domes and strobes) into my IATA compliant cabin back pack.  It all goes in nicely as long as the camera is in the housing.

Housing manufacturers stress that cameras should not be mounted in the housing for travel.  I'm using a GH5 in Nauticam housing with locking mounting tray. For travel I plan to disengage the dials and power switch controls so any shocks or bumps are not transmitted through the fine machined and delicate components of the housing. I cannot foresee a high risk of the luggage receiving a shock that would shatter the tripod threaded mounting plate with the camera mounted.

What are the risks of traveling with the camera in the housing? How prevalent is the disregard of this manufacturer guidance within the community?

A tricky one.

Initially I went with the recommendation: don't travel with the camera in the housing. But as travel has become increasingly problematic with tons of gear, I now often travel with the camera in the housing, in a roller Pelican case (the 1510), in the cabin. I do though pack the housing out with bubble wrap so minimise any vibration as much as possible.

I would not do this if the housing had to be hold-loaded.

So far, so good....

The primary risk of traveling with the camera in the housing is the stress on the camera mount. It may result in misalignment of the buttons and controls between camera and housing. I experienced this myself on an Ikelite housing in the past. Aperture and shutter speed wheels no longer engaged reliably.

On our recent Revillagigedos trip a few weeks ago, we used a ThinkTank Logistics Manager for my wife's 5Dmk3 rig, and the largest of their carry-on models for my GH5 rig. I ended up checking the GH5 as well. The ThinkTank semi hard cases seem to work very well when checked in, and they don't attract too much attention. I have been harassed at Cabo as well as Cairo with our pelican cases. I also left a GH5 body mounted in the housing. However, there is a difference between the 5 non-stop from Seattle to Cabo and the much longer multiple flights to Cairo or someplace in Asia. My sense is that the bigger, stiffer Logistics manager would be ok, but the smaller carry-on case might be iffy. In some places like the Philippines, some of the in-country travel will have the cases in pickup beds, where they can be exposed to bursts of rain or mud being splattered by other vehicles. Or, they may be stored on the deck of inter-island hydrofoils where they will be soaked with salt water. A Pelican is obviously a lot better for that kind of thing.

I have my EM-1 MkII inside the housing for travel in some configurations.  I use a think tank streetwalker hard drive and it fits the housing, Zen 170mm dome, 100mm dome,  flat port, 12-40, 8mm fisheye and 60mm macro with z Z-240 and the camera is in the housing - it seems pretty secure mounted on the Nauticam locking tray. 

I tried various combinations and didn't find that separating the port from the housing worked any better. Maybe it wouldn't work as well with a larger DSLR housing. I guess that is one advantage of a m4/3 system.

I got the ThinkTank dividers and lid organizer, mainly because I couldn't try the Pelican Trek Pak dividers in person and was a bit sceptical that they would bend as I wanted to accommodate the housing and dome port as shown. The lid organizer is excellent, much nicer than the Pelican mesh version, and will hold a laptop or tablet:

43722192521_31e76ac2a2_c.jpg

Looks nice. Can it be a carry on? Would it fit a Sony A7c Nauticam with WWL-1B, CMC1 and 2 inon z330 with 2 arm floats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, imacro said:

Looks nice. Can it be a carry on? Would it fit a Sony A7c Nauticam with WWL-1B, CMC1 and 2 inon z330 with 2 arm floats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer to that question really depends on where you are flying. In the US, carry-on is a bit of free for all and if you can get on early enough and squeeze it into the locker all is good, though if you are flying a commuter jet lockers are tiny and it'll be gate checked quite likely.  In Europe the size and weight limits may be strictly enforced.

The biggest downside to a Pelican is that the case itself is 4.5 kg.  The second downside is that it looks too big and heavy, even if it fits, so airline staff single it out. Anyway, I don’t carry this on, as fully packed it weighs just over 16 kg.  This is only for car trips for me. 

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements