Sign in to follow this  
albert kok

A contribution to shark week (-;

This is a fun VIMEO clip. Showing some similarity between domesticated tiny creatures like gold fish and apex predators in the Ocean.The behavior of gold fish, hand fed in the small pool on our balcony, reminded me of the baiting of Oceanic sharks from Cat Island Bahamas. Although they do not have that big dorsal fin cutting the surface. The biggest orange gold fish, showing up in the right corner must be around 20 years old. The whitish one,should be 15 years old.

Edited by albert kok
  • Like 1

post-7335-0-89514400-1467363810_thumb.jpg

Here a great surface shot of some happy Oceanics (for comparison) taken bij Debra Canabal.!

Shark Week - "the annual event where shark conservation takes two steps backwards"

Agree. It took some time to get the gold fish accustomed to the GOPRO on a tripod,

But finally they took the bait and lost their scruples. And there are definite similarities in feeding behavior.

Which may help to view sharks from a more realistic perspective and tone down the sensation aspect (-;

Cheers Albert

Edited by albert kok

Shark week has gotten much better from years ago. They have many more conservation episodes and fewer sensationalized accounts of 'monsters' or 'man eaters'. A lot more conservation minded from what I have seen this year.

I was disappointed with the Oceanic episode. In the wild, they may be aggressive but off Cat Island, with the Canabal's, it is extremely safe. The episode was wildly sensationalized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was disappointed with the Oceanic episode. In the wild, they may be aggressive but off Cat Island, with the Canabal's, it is extremely safe. The episode was wildly sensationalized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shark Week? Sensationalized? You've got to be kidding.

Its good to hear that the program is improving. And taken technically, their material is good. But I cant help associating Discovery Channel with a tendency to emphasize the dangerous side of wildlife, great predators in particular. How different is the series Spring Watch from the BBC, which is a real delight to watch!

Edited by albert kok

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements