mattmarinegreen

Philippines diving advice

Dear Seasoned Tropical Underwater Photographers,

Another cry for help, I am going to spend around 1 month travelling around the Philipenes in August with my camera set up (seacam housing, canon 5d, strobes, 15mm sigma, 60mm macro and gopro). I am looking for some stunning places to shoot macro (60mm) and wide angle (15mm) on a budget if possible. Can anyone make any general location and dive shop recomendations? I would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,
i have been twice in Anilao ( crystal blue is super ), great place for macro and supermacro.
Dumagette was some years before, no idea how the pier is looking at the moment, was a great spot then....
Last february it was Malapascua for the thresher sharks, and nice macro as well....

Have fun and lots of good pictures!
Regards,
Wolfgang

Yep, Anilao for macro. There are other good macro destinations (Dumagete, Puerto Galera, etc) but they don't have anything you won't find in Anilao. You can also find decent WA opportunities at a few sites there. The archives here are full of advice on good resorts at various price points.

Malapascua is a must-visit destination for the threshers. Go to Coron for wrecks if you're into that. Apo Island near Dumagete can be good too and is extremely laid back. Depending on the time of year, Moalboal for sharks and a sardine run but not in August. The liveaboards don't go out to Tubbataha in August unfortunately.

Just be aware that the weather in August can be highly unpredictable and a typhoon could keep you on the beach for a few days (or more). one of the good things about Anilao is that there are diveable sites regardless of which way the weather is coming from. Not so for the other sites.

Edited by troporobo

Thank you, yes having looked in to it more I have decided that the weather will hold us back. We have decided to go to Borneo instead. Thank you for all the advice, I hope to go there at some point so will review the advice then!

Many thanks!

Sponsors

Advertisements