Sphyrna lewini...

Very nice Alfredo! Love the music. Can you relate what technique you used? What lens? Is this the a7s II?

That appears to be an impressive monitor. I like how much "real estate" you have there. What monitor is it?

Edited by SwiftFF5

Nice work! Very natural looking colours and the blue is really good! I like the fact that it's not another oversaturated underwater video but much closer to what we see underwater kind of cinematic look.

• Like 1

That appears to be an impressive monitor. I like how much "real estate" you have there. What monitor is it?

Yes I need to get a nice big monitor like that. I do all my editing on my 15inch MacBook Pro. I still have not seen any of my films in 4K yet!

• Like 1

Nice work! Very natural looking colours and the blue is really good! I like the fact that it's not another oversaturated underwater video but much closer to what we see underwater kind of cinematic look.

Thanks. Sony tends to oversaturate when you shoot in standar style. But the VECTORSCOPE & WAVEFORM are your best friends when editing, I had to desaturate many clips.

You can shoot in PP but you loose tha HDR and you need to bring it back in post.

Still learning and trying new things. In one week Playa de carmen to see my fat pregnant girls... BULL SHARKS

Yes I need to get a nice big monitor like that. I do all my editing on my 15inch MacBook Pro. I still have not seen any of my films in 4K yet!

Its a great one. Cheap, big, true colors. I was editing in a 15" laptop and the diference is HUGE...
  • Like 1

Thanks. Sony tends to oversaturate when you shoot in standar style. But the VECTORSCOPE & WAVEFORM are your best friends when editing, I had to desaturate many clips.

You can shoot in PP but you loose tha HDR and you need to bring it back in post.

Agree on the Vectroscope and Waweform monitors. I thought it was the other way around. Shooting in an appropriate PP will give you more dynamic range.

For high dinamig range you have to shoot in slog... and this is much more work in post and is not the best shooting way for underwater filming.

Edited by TaxiDiver14
  • Like 1

For high dinamig range you have to shoot in slog... and this is much more work in post and is not the best shooting way for underwater filming.

Not necessarily even non SLOG profiles give you more dynamic range at least that is my understanding by reading the manual of the RX100 but i am pretty new to this so might be wrong as well.

Yes but this manual is made thinking above surface, not thinking about underwater issues like color absortion, dispersion, refraction and difraction. Underwater shooting is a LITTLE BIT more complex than surface shooting...

Yes but this manual is made thinking above surface, not thinking about underwater issues like color absortion, dispersion, refraction and difraction. Underwater shooting is a LITTLE BIT more complex than surface shooting...

Yes we have had a long discussion here about picture profiles. I was experimenting with them and then decided it was not worth the trouble. The other parameters such as exposure and white balance were more important and one of our members wrote an erudite post that argued that slog does not really help color, only dynmic range.

You can write for years post of machine tecnichs... at last is the finish results what is important... im tired of saying... take the easy way and I wont say it more.

Some footage cut together from this morning's dive on Kal's Dream in Alor, Indonesia. Shot on a Sony A7RII in fixed white balance (5200k) with a pair of lights. Manual exposure, no picture profile, autumn leaves creative style.

Arguably a bit too saturated.. but that can easily be dialed down in post.

• Like 1

I think the image quality of A7RII is better than A7SII. you are right oversaturated and to much red... BUT easy to fix in POST....

WELL DONE...

Some footage cut together from this morning's dive on Kal's Dream in Alor, Indonesia. Shot on a Sony A7RII in fixed white balance (5200k) with a pair of lights. Manual exposure, no picture profile, autumn leaves creative style.

Arguably a bit too saturated.. but that can easily be dialed down in post.

Very nice. I am amazed that you were able to get this with 5200K fixed white balance. I have been wedded to the UAWB, which of course switches back and forth. I was told by guy at Backscatter that fixing termperature like this would not work.

If you were not using lights, would this work?

Where were you staying at Alor. My fiance and I are planning our next trip and are investigating things. And generally, where would people on this page recommend we go? We might want to try a nice liveaboard.

GLP

Spent a couple of days in seraya and tulamben

Great work! I love the green shot the best. Very nice the whole thing!

Very nice. I am amazed that you were able to get this with 5200K fixed white balance. I have been wedded to the UAWB, which of course switches back and forth. I was told by guy at Backscatter that fixing termperature like this would not work.

If you were not using lights, would this work?

Where were you staying at Alor. My fiance and I are planning our next trip and are investigating things. And generally, where would people on this page recommend we go? We might want to try a nice liveaboard.

GLP

George -- UAWB works fine, within a given range of parameters (i.e. clear water, lots of light, 10m or shallower, sun behind your back preferably). I think it's probably the best option on the A7 cameras within those conditions.

Here however, most of the shots were below 20m on a cloudy day early in the morning -- in other words, low ambient light, where my Gates GT14 lights were easily able to overpower the ambient light and bring back rich, warm colors to the reef. 5200k is the white balance of the GT14s -- that's why I used it. This type of shooting would absolutely not work without strong video lights. Everything would just be greenish/blue.

So.. shoot UAWB in the shallows when there is strong ambient light, and a fixed or AWB with strong video lights when deeper/with less ambient light. I've been experimenting some more with red filters, but have yet to come up with any formula that I find gives acceptable results. Custom white balance underwater always ends up pushing the red channel far too much, leading to a muddy, magenta water column. This sadly happens even when taking a white balance reading off something pink like my hand or a brown patch of coral. It can probably be fixed with post-processing, but I prefer skipping the filter altogether and just relying on video lights at depth.

I was in Alor as part of the crossing trip for a new liveaboard. There are a number of land-based resorts in the area. I've generally only heard good things about Le Petite Keppa, but never stayed with them myself.

• Like 2

Sponsors

Advertisements