Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.

Sipadan Movie (https://videopress.com/embed/Q4L172qQ?hd=0&autoPlay=0&permalink=0&loop=0)

It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut.

• Like 1

Hey guys, just thought i'd get out of lurker mode and contribute here as well since i've been enjoying reading up on the discussions. I don't have a sony a7s but an a6500 here's a video I made from our latest trip from Sipadan, Malaysia last week.

Sipadan Movie (https://videopress.com/embed/Q4L172qQ?hd=0&autoPlay=0&permalink=0&loop=0)

It can also be accessed in briananddonna.com in case the link above doesn't work. I didn't get to use slog and having problems with manual white balance. I want to try using an atomos flame monitor and explore how to have a faster workflow for color grading since I just do this for fun. This is the second video I made with my new cam and editing with final cut.

Well done! Enjoyed it.

Last work at Red Sea...

https://vimeo.com/207717423

Lovely colors, really. This was shot with a Sony? Looks like canon colors to me, very jelous!

Dustin:

Wow this is incredibly helpful and I very much appreciate it. I bought my a7s II because a filmmaker friend had switched over from Nikon to it and he was very enthusiastic. He was touting the inboard 4K and low light capability. I loved the mirrorless concept, and some of the lenses are fantastic. So I made the investment to purchase it, and the housing, and that was a considerable investment for me. I I really did not know enough at the time to appreciate that using a superb camera UNDER THE OCEAN is a very specialized form of cinematography. I never checked out the white balance issues and did not even think of it because I am a rookie, but who is still trying to learn as fast as possible.

Accordingly, I am going to do some tests on the next dive trip, which is in the Sea of Cortez in 3 weeks. I am also going to document the tests. Iwill do my best to do everything to manually white balance correctly, and will document it. I will also experiment with different picture profiles. It is possible that some of the issues can be corrected in grading or color correction. Thus, I will be testing the sLog2 and sLog3 picture profiles as these allow better color correction later.

Then i will make a little film of the tests, including the location and experience. Put it on the Internet. See what more I can learn.

I also bought the camera for filming above water. I want to make films, that tell stories, and to feature certain ideas, as well as film underwater. Most of the work of this camera, hopefully, will be of interviews of people.

So thanks so much for this helpful information. I will do the tests and then let you know how they come out.

George Paul

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lovely colors, really. This was shot with a Sony? Looks like canon colors to me, very jelous!

Thanks. Shot with A7R II + FE 16-36mm and FE 90mm.

The most important is to shoot in golden hours. One or two hours after sunrise and before sunset. Otherwise you wont get rich colours. If you don't shoot at this hours you will need to go deeper to get nice colours with your lights.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

Well done! Enjoyed it.

Thanks Lionfi2s. Anyone know how I can get the video to show just like the others? Or does it do that automatically when copying a link from Vimeo and Youtube?

• Like 1

Thanks. Shot with A7R II + FE 16-36mm and FE 90mm.

The most important is to shoot in golden hours. One or two hours after sunrise and before sunset. Otherwise you wont get rich colours. If you don't shoot at this hours you will need to go deeper to get nice colours with your lights.

But that shot of the moray for example was shot without lights and just straight custom wb wasn't it. Doesn't look like theres any lights (unless u have serious power lights haha)

But that shot of the moray for example was shot without lights and just straight custom wb wasn't it. Doesn't look like theres any lights (unless u have serious power lights haha)

Both moray were shot with lights. They are powerfull but not enough....

Just lights and awb or custom wb with the lights? Which lights do u have?

I currently have 2x 5000 lumen lights but yours seem much brighter. Which brand and model are u working with?

Youtube version...

U-SEAS WSR-6000. 7000 lumens CRI 85.

Edited by TaxiDiver14

Yes this is great. I see you have quite a few drone shots in here. Don't have a drone but am fascinated by what they can do. What kind do you have? Any complaints about the noise it makes when you are filming?

Thanks for posting here.

GLP

Thanks Lionfi2s. Anyone know how I can get the video to show just like the others? Or does it do that automatically when copying a link from Vimeo and Youtube?

Not sure I understand you question. If you click on a link, it usually takes you to Vimeo or Youtube. If you click here, it plays small. Or, I think you can maximize it by clicking on the logo.

Here you have a little video of a new serie for instagram shot at Komodo National Park...

https://vimeo.com/218341048

REally enjoyed this and I like the shorter films. What is going on with the square format? Is that something to do with Instagram?

Yes is instagram that cut your video. This anoy me...

Edited by TaxiDiver14

Yes this is great. I see you have quite a few drone shots in here. Don't have a drone but am fascinated by what they can do. What kind do you have? Any complaints about the noise it makes when you are filming?

Thanks for posting here.

GLP

Thanks for the thread too, I went through the same journey as you trying to find the ideal white balance settings to minimize color grading work in post. Next i'm looking to do is try a magic filter, red lens filter and lastly an external monitor.

Yes the drone and the rest of the gear is quite new got it for the last trip in March to Coco's. I got the mavic pro and couldn't be happier with the decision. I believe it doesn't record audio from the drone itself but can do so from your phone as the mic. (As far as my newbie knowledge on it) but it's great for mixing up other perspectives than all u/w shots just for my preference.

Not sure I understand you question. If you click on a link, it usually takes you to Vimeo or Youtube. If you click here, it plays small. Or, I think you can maximize it by clicking on the logo.

Sorry for not being too clear. When others post a video a thumbnail and preview of the video shows but when I posted my video only the link shows. I tried both inserting hyperlink and just posting the link directly but both don't show. I'm wondering if it's bec. my video is hosted on wordpress and not on vimeo or youtube. I want it to be able to shoe the preview.

so beautiful your work! how many dives does it take you to collect a series of shots like this? I feel like it'd take me a whole 60min dive to capture one subject like this the time to setup the camera in position etc

Hi guys, I did some underwater test shots for Manual white balance. I want to know. Are you able to see your camera settings when viewing your clips on photos, fcpx, videux or any software to manage your files? I want to be able to see what aperture, iso, white balance settings I had for each clip to help me determine the best settings.

In photos (Mac app) you are able to see this information with pictures but not with video.

Here is a sample image from the Photo's app. Of which I want to be able to see with Video Clips.

18952794_10211576737408190_2628744710085

Edited by Pyroracer

Hi guys, I did some underwater test shots for Manual white balance. I want to know. Are you able to see your camera settings when viewing your clips on photos, fcpx, videux or any software to manage your files? I want to be able to see what aperture, iso, white balance settings I had for each clip to help me determine the best settings.

In photos (Mac app) you are able to see this information with pictures but not with video.

Here is a sample image from the Photo's app. Of which I want to be able to see with Video Clips.

18952794_10211576737408190_2628744710085

Use Catalyst Browse from Sony. Its free and provides all the information you can get from the XML file. Can also do color correction and basic editing but i dont use it for that.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. Would you know if FCPX can also show the data? I see import XML but for some reason the files are greyed out.

Use Catalyst Browse from Sony. Its free and provides all the information you can get from the XML file. Can also do color correction and basic editing but i dont use it for that.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. Would you know if FCPX can also show the data? I see import XML but for some reason the files are greyed out.

You are welcome! I am not using FCPX so cant comment. Davinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere shows some of the data but not as much as the Catalyst.

Sponsors

Advertisements