Hot from oven.... diving in Cabo de Palos.

https://vimeo.com/183559055

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Alfredo, I have not seen all your films but certainly this must be among the very best -- all aspects. The exposure and color very well conveyed the different lighting and mood of the environment. This must be a wonderful place to dive! And, as always, your editing is among the very best. And I love your choice of music. I bet you are a musician of some sort, or at least a lover of music. Great job. What equipment did you use. I see you had some powerful lights. Was it the a7s II, as well? Thanks for posting. You must have worked non-stop editing this thing!

Thanks GP7. Im glad you liked. This is the A7RII.

In 7 days of diving I used 7 diferent settings, so my conclusion is you can get almost same results in many ways. The easy one is NO PP, saturation -1, exposure -0,7EV-1EV. Torches are a MUST. Above 12m AUWB is not doing bad.

I wish i were a musician and could compose my own music.

The dive site is awesome. Is ranked as best diving spot of Europe. But is hard to dive due to strong currents. If you dive and shoot here you will be able to do it everywhere.

BUT still learning my camera and my shooting skills and learning from all off you, so do not stop shooting and remember this is a GREAT camera.

Edited by TaxiDiver14
  • Like 1

Hot from oven.... diving in Cabo de Palos.

https://vimeo.com/183559055

This is a truly stunning video TaxiDiver. Beautiful filming, edit and indeed soundtrack choice. I didn't know that in Spain there is such a beautiful diving site. I was in Spain last May and I wanted to dive there so I went to the Canary Islands. Nothing like Cabo de Palos for sure.

HELP! AAAHHHH! I am showing you two clips, which demonstrate the inexplicable reappearance of a horrible magenta cast in my footage. I was doing well shooting on my trip. The conditions changed from day to day but I was becoming comfortable with shooting underwater automatic white balance. I had decided that a red filter really did not help. You must use the password "Tinamou" to see the clip. You should watch what happened to me.

https://vimeo.com/183565948

Couldn't open the vid with the password.

Well guys, we should all do one day a dive trip together, the Sony team :)

• Like 1

This is a truly stunning video TaxiDiver. Beautiful filming, edit and indeed soundtrack choice. I didn't know that in Spain there is such a beautiful diving site. I was in Spain last May and I wanted to dive there so I went to the Canary Islands. Nothing like Cabo de Palos for sure.

The best places in Canary islands are La Graciosa Marine Reserve and El Hierro island. Dont know where you dove but those are beautifull dive sites.

Couldn't open the vid with the password.

Well guys, we should all do one day a dive trip together, the Sony team :)

October ill be in Simillan and 24 november Red Sea in Simply the best route....

The best places in Canary islands are La Graciosa Marine Reserve and El Hierro island. Dont know where you dove but those are beautifull dive sites.

October ill be in Simillan and 24 november Red Sea in Simply the best route....

I have taken the password off my "Reappearance of Magenta" video so that you can view it. I request and urge that you do so, because I need your help determining what the heck happened. Here is the link again:

https://vimeo.com/183565948

Many thanks!

Edited by GeoPaul7

Well I tink I know whats happening there. Is a matter of depth. At the begining of the clip you stay above the fishes and is doing well. When you go deeper I think that will be deeper than 12-15m WB fails.

Why dont you try this ?....

Till 12m AUWB. Deeper use 9900K . Matrix A and M looking camera screen.

• Like 1

Well I tink I know whats happening there. Is a matter of depth. At the begining of the clip you stay above the fishes and is doing well. When you go deeper I think that will be deeper than 12-15m WB fails.

Why dont you try this ?....

Till 12m AUWB. Deeper use 9900K . Matrix A and M looking camera screen.

Alfredo: I don't think that is the problem. I think the color of the water shifts depending on what else is in the frame. Not ideal, but not fatal either. I am putting together a film of our second dive this morning. It was shot almost entirely with ambient light at 60 feet, and then 30 feet. I did try different white balance modes today, and really could not get any that looked as good on the monitor as AUWB. More later.

Okay, here is the ambient light film I made of our second dive today. The dive site is named "Hepp's Pipeline." Most of this was filmed at about 60 feet. I think this shows the light gathering ability of the a7s II.

Edited by GeoPaul7

George, if I may just add my 2 cents:

First, Caribbean waters can be a real bitch if it comes to white balance due to their very intense blue color. I remember having some issues as well when diving Turks & Caicos 2 years ago - and I wasnt the only one.

Second, I would tend to agree to your theory, that the yellow shool of fish was causing some offsetting adjustment in auto-mode, resulting in that magenta cast. I am not convinced a meter or 2 difference in depth during the clip on its own is causing such a heavy shift, but it may be a contributing factor.

Third, I assume this was shot in ambient light without a red filter? I would suggest using at least a red-filter. Also well worth trying out different ones. I have used Magic Filters as well but I like the results I'm getting from URPRO filters more - maybe a matter of taste. In fact, these day I am not using a red filter but a magenta filter which on the AX100 in AWB gives a better color balance (details are outlined in that article by Pete Lightowler that someone already here posted before).

Now you may say: I already got too much magenta in my picture, how can a magenta filter help? Scientifically maybe correct, but this is not really about science but trial-and-error ;-)

And of course a good set of video lights almost always helps. Not on the widest wide angle shots but on most else.

NB: that turtle really looks quite interested in and approving of your equipment :-)

good luck!

• Like 1

Shot this in June in Lembeh with the A7R2. Still on the steep learning curve for video.

[media]

[/media] Edited by howeikwok
  • Like 2

Shot this in June in Lembeh with the A7R2. Still on the steep learning curve for video.

[media]

[/media]
VERY VERY VERY GOOOOOD.

I asume you are using a tripod and the FE 90mm GM.

WOW! This is a one beautiful macro shooting video.

• Like 1

VERY VERY VERY GOOOOOD.

I asume you are using a tripod and the FE 90mm GM.

Yes. I'm using a tripod plate and legs from I-DAS. Using the Sony 90/2.8 macro and A7R2 in a Nauticam housing with the Small HD 501 monitor. Using video lights from this new company called Weefine. Supposed to be 3800 lumens with CRI of 95. Also using the FIT +10 diopters as well as the Noodilab Moby diopter.

What ISO are you using ??

What ISO are you using ??

It depends. Here is what I have been doing with ambient light lately. I focus, and if the distance to the subject has not changed much, for a wide angle shot, I leave it as is and shoot at f8. I then adjust the ISO to get the proper exposure. This varies greatly depending on lighting conditions. I pretty much guage that by how things look in the monitor, but check the preliminary exposure with what the meter is telling me. Like you, I am tending to -.3 to -.7 exposure. It also depends on what your subject is. If it is the foreground illuminated with video lights, then that has to be properly exposed even if the background is underexposed.

Edited by GeoPaul7

It depends. Here is what I have been doing with ambient light lately. I focus, and if the distance to the subject has not changed much, for a wide angle shot, I leave it as is and shoot at f8. I then adjust the ISO to get the proper exposure. This varies greatly on lighting conditions. I pretty much guage that by how things look on the monitor, but check lights with what the meter is telling me. Like you, I am tending to -.3 to -.7 exposure. It also depends on what your subject is. If it is the foreground illuminated with video lights, then that has to be properly exposed even if the background is underexposed.

Why you dont try AUTO ISO 100-3200.

George, if I may just add my 2 cents:

First, Caribbean waters can be a real bitch if it comes to white balance due to their very intense blue color. I remember having some issues as well when diving Turks & Caicos 2 years ago - and I wasnt the only one.

Second, I would tend to agree to your theory, that the yellow shool of fish was causing some offsetting adjustment in auto-mode, resulting in that magenta cast. I am not convinced a meter or 2 difference in depth during the clip on its own is causing such a heavy shift, but it may be a contributing factor.

Third, I assume this was shot in ambient light without a red filter? I would suggest using at least a red-filter. Also well worth trying out different ones. I have used Magic Filters as well but I like the results I'm getting from URPRO filters more - maybe a matter of taste. In fact, these day I am not using a red filter but a magenta filter which on the AX100 in AWB gives a better color balance (details are outlined in that article by Pete Lightowler that someone already here posted before).

Now you may say: I already got too much magenta in my picture, how can a magenta filter help? Scientifically maybe correct, but this is not really about science but trial-and-error ;-)

And of course a good set of video lights almost always helps. Not on the widest wide angle shots but on most else.

NB: that turtle really looks quite interested in and approving of your equipment :-)

good luck!

Thanks bubffm!

I agree. I tried the magic filter on one dive, and it really did not get better results. And, if you check the very first post in this topic, or discussion, where I posted some results from Cozumel, the first trip where I used the camera, there was horrible magenta even with a red filter. On this trip I concluded that it didn't really help. Then, when there was a dominance of yellow in the foreground, and the background changed to psychedelic magenta, I concluded it was the computer program in the camera.

The dives in Grand Cayman were generally quite deep 40 feet would have been a shallow dive, with most of the action between 60 and 80. I am hoping my next dives (Raja Amapat at Misool Ecoresort) will be much shallower and I will not have these problems.

I will experiment with different filters. One of the things I don't like about this camera is you have to tape the filters on over the front of the lens. Or do you? I am using the 28 mm E mount f2 inside the housing and a Wet Wide Angle lens.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts!

GLP

[media]

[/media]

Hi there Howeikwok.

I agree with the others. Really superb. I know I can learn a lot from you. I am going to Raja on October 21, and Ammar is going there on a liveaboard around the same time. I don't think I have time to learn macro video before then. Just started shooting with an "SLR" underwater in June. So I am on steep learning curve.

I do, however, want to use a tripod I purchased. I will take the wet wide angle off the housing, and that will leave me with a 28 mm, which underwater would be a 35 mm, which hopefully will focus closely. I would like to ask you some questions a little later about the use of the tripod. I will bring mine and will want to use it for "close ups," or "portraits" as opposed to macro, and then move into macro later.

Thank you for joining the group! Will be back to you soon about the tripod questions.

GLP

Hi there Howeikwok.

I agree with the others. Really superb. I know I can learn a lot from you. I am going to Raja on October 21, and Ammar is going there on a liveaboard around the same time. I don't think I have time to learn macro video before then. Just started shooting with an "SLR" underwater in June. So I am on steep learning curve.

I do, however, want to use a tripod I purchased. I will take the wet wide angle off the housing, and that will leave me with a 28 mm, which underwater would be a 35 mm, which hopefully will focus closely. I would like to ask you some questions a little later about the use of the tripod. I will bring mine and will want to use it for "close ups," or "portraits" as opposed to macro, and then move into macro later.

Thank you for joining the group! Will be back to you soon about the tripod questions.

GLP

The 28mm with the Nauticam WWL will focus quite closely. In fact you can shoot a good sized nudibranch with this combination.

• Like 1

The 28mm with the Nauticam WWL will focus quite closely. In fact you can shoot a good sized nudibranch with this combination.

How would you use that combination? Photo? With video lights? I don't have a strobe, only video lights as I am interested in video mainly, but will likely branch out. Would you use ambient light to shoot a photo?

And if video, would you necessarily need a tripod? Or can you hand hold? IT would seem the subject would need to be about 1 inch from the lens to get that close.

I will try some tests in the pool before we leave. Thanks for the information.

Well Bruno. I don't think I will have time to learn how to shoot macro video before I go, but who knows? My fiance has a GoPro and wants to get some video lights, and perhaps we can use that? I am very much looking forward to going to Indonesia! I will check out those liveaboards. They look nice!

You must be getting excited. There are three of us on this thread that are going to Indonesia in the next month, and you to two places. I will collect information for a full blog, and I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences.

George

You must be getting excited. There are three of us on this thread that are going to Indonesia in the next month, and you to two places. I will collect information for a full blog, and I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences.

George

Indeed, really interesting to see what happens if we are all back :-)

• Like 1

How would you use that combination? Photo? With video lights? I don't have a strobe, only video lights as I am interested in video mainly, but will likely branch out. Would you use ambient light to shoot a photo?

And if video, would you necessarily need a tripod? Or can you hand hold? IT would seem the subject would need to be about 1 inch from the lens to get that close.

I will try some tests in the pool before we leave. Thanks for the information.

I shot a 4-5 cm nudibranch on video with video lights much earlier in the year when i was testing the system out on a short weekend trip. If i remember it correctly the footage was shot without a tripod just rested the whole housing on the seabed or using my hand below the housing to support.

[media]

[/media] Nudi footage at 1:15 onwards

I shot a 4-5 cm nudibranch on video with video lights much earlier in the year when i was testing the system out on a short weekend trip. If i remember it correctly the footage was shot without a tripod just rested the whole housing on the seabed or using my hand below the housing to support.

[media]

[/media] Nudi footage at 1:15 onwards

Thanks very much Howeikwok! Yes I see that. I did not know that combination could focus so closely. Is that what you used on the eel nearer the end? How close does the lens have to be from the eel to get that kind of shot? A few inches?

I need to learn from you about the dive sites in Indonesia. I have become highly interested in diving there. Raja Ampat is my first trip.

Indeed, really interesting to see what happens if we are all back :-)

Yes. I do hope we all make it back.

Thanks very much Howeikwok! Yes I see that. I did not know that combination could focus so closely. Is that what you used on the eel nearer the end? How close does the lens have to be from the eel to get that kind of shot? A few inches?

I need to learn from you about the dive sites in Indonesia. I have become highly interested in diving there. Raja Ampat is my first trip.

Yes. I do hope we all make it back.

I think the eel was using the 90mm macro lens. For the WWL, i think the subject can be almost touching the lens and it will still focus. the minimum focal distance is quite short if i'm not wrong.

Raja Ampat is fantastic for both Macro and Wide Angle. Coral cover in the Dampier Straits area is the best i've ever seen. Oceanic mantas, schools of barracudas and jacks. The 'walking' cat shark. Lots of macro opportunities as well like pygmy seahorses, nudibranchs, mandarin fish etc.

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements