Sign in to follow this  
DorianF

My First Diving Video - Honest Criticism Wanted

I have been a photographer and videograher for a number of years now and it was just recently that I discovered underwater shooting. I went for my first dive in Mexico (Cancun side) and one of the dive masters brought a camera with him. It was just a simple handy cam in an older ikelite housing, but one look at the footage it produced and I was hooked. I was able to obtain a copy of the footage and created my first dive video (of course giving due credit to the Filmer). Bearing in mind that i did not shoot any of the underwater footage (merely edited it) can you give me any pointers as to what I can improve?

For the next one I do I am looking into getting an enclosure for my current camera so that I can produce the entire video myself, but in the meantime I would like to learn the dos and don'ts of underwater videography. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Filmed by myself and Javier Iturrieta

Edited by DorianF

Very good first effort, it definitely gives a feel of the place and the diving. Something that I noticed is that many of the scenes were shot from further away from the subject than I would like. I think that if the filmer had been closer in that it would have been a bit more effective. Nice smooth editing, though.

While I like the video, the first Don't I will pass along is Don't take any type of camera underwater until you become a competent diver with your buoyancy totally under control. As a new diver you don't need a camera to think about.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements