Sign in to follow this  
Nicool

New Nauticam vacuum check system resistance to flood?

hi there,

I have recently acquired the newest Nauticam vacuum check system (version II), as a replacement of the Backscatter Airlock which i used in the past (the basic one, not electronic).

Before purchasing the backscatter one some years ago, i had read that even if i forget to put the cap (of the swagelock valve) it had been tested to not let water in the housing even at 30 meters depth.

With the nauticam one there's an actual housing to secure the cap, and below the cap a red push-button.

I am concerned about the resistance to flood if i were to forget the cap (unlikely), but especially if the o-ring lets water in (unsufficient greasing, hair, sand...).

What would happen then?

Would it break the valve? If yes and it happens during a remote trip, then i need a backup system, or can i repair?

Would it let water inside the housing (worse!).

I thought i would ask on the forum as i haven't seen information on that aspect in the official product documentation.

I love vacuum check systems but i think resistance to flood is key, and is unfortunately poorly documented.

cheers

Nicolas

What I heard from Backscatter (while chatting with them about the vacuum system, so I don't have it in an actual document or anything) is that you could dive without the protective cap, the system would still be hermetic, the cap only prevents depressing the red vacuum release button.

I haven't tried this, though.

I forgot to put that cap back on once. No leak, no issues, just a moment of "wow that was dumb." NA-D810 housing if that matters.

Thanks both, i hadn't seen your answerd.

I forgot to put that cap back on once. No leak, no issues, just a moment of "wow that was dumb." NA-D810 housing if that matters.

Are you using the v2 system, with that red pushbutton?

What sort of maintenance did you carry on after the dive? Fresh water rince tank without cap?

Did it cause any malfunction afterwards?

How deep did you dive like that?

I don't have the red button, so I guess it's the first version.

I didn't do anything special after. Just business as usual. No evidence of water anywhere or any other issues. Was in a deep cage at Isla Guadalupe with the great whites. Prob 30' or so.

I wonder if they changed it to a push button instead of a knob because people were forgetting to tighten the knob back. Jump in and instant flood.

I clean and relube the housing o-ring every I open the housing. I clean and relube the port o-rings every time I remove the port. As far as the vacuum is concerned, I have not done any maintainance on it. I have forgotten my cap too, but made sure to rinse the exposed vacuum port really good. I have not taken it out and cleaned it.

I wonder if they changed it to a push button instead of a knob because people were forgetting to tighten the knob back. Jump in and instant flood.

I clean and relube the housing o-ring every I open the housing. I clean and relube the port o-rings every time I remove the port. As far as the vacuum is concerned, I have not done any maintainance on it. I have forgotten my cap too, but made sure to rinse the exposed vacuum port really good. I have not taken it out and cleaned it.

Oh i had missed your reply!

So you've done the full dive without the cap with red push button exposed and got no flood?

That could mean the cap is more to protect the button from shock / accidental pressure relief than anything else.

That would be a relief as any new oring to monitor makes me nervous.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements