I just bought a OM D5 MKII and PT EP-13 uw housing and am having a strange problem with the setup. When I use the kit 14-42mm lens and the EP 02 zoom ring, it all works on the surface to about 30', then the zoom stops working. It's purely mechanical, I can feel the zoom knob gear popping between the teeth of the lens gear. Coming back up makes the problem go away. It looks like a housing problem. I'm going to contact Olympus, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I tried 3 different zoom rings, all with the same result. I just started a week long dive trip, needless to say I'm annoyed.

There is one this u can check. When u instal a zoom ring, don't install all the way in.

Make sure the gear and ring gear is positioned flat.

I had problem installing the ring all the way in and later found that the gear isn't well aligned.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by Timz

Excellent advice. When I was using an Olympus zoom ring, I found that it was not always installed in exactly the right position, due to a lack of a positive mechanical locator. It also sometimes slipped out of position if not installed perfectly perpendicular and 100% aligned with the gear. I ended up using small bits of electrical tape as shims on the lens barrel to hold the gear more firmly in place. It's important to be as sure as you can that the gear and ring are exactly aligned and not offset.

Although the fact that yours returns to normal at the surface does suggest something is flexing that shouldn't be!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements