tcarson

Help me pick gear for a season on the Palmyra Atoll / questions from a newbie

I'll be spending my winter working on the Palmyra Atoll in the South Pacific and am picking out the gear I need. I shoot with a Nikon D750.

1) Housing: I don't have an unlimited budget so I'll likely be getting the Ikelite housing for the D750.

2) Lens Port: I'll be shooting primarily with the Nikon 20mm f/1.8, maybe also with the 35-80mm. Should I get the 6" or 8" dome? Anybody have experience comparing these?

3) Strobes: I'll be snorkeling, so I'm thinking I'm not going to get strobes. I may get an Ikelite Gamma II dive light with attachment for the housing.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Edited by tcarson

Sounds like reasonable choice! I agree that strobes wouldn't add much, other than weight and cost. Adding a little light to fill in shadows should do it.

As for which dome, I think the bigger question is whether Ikelite has extension rings for those lenses. The actual dome size is probably neither here nor there for this type of shooting, but which dome is paired with the lens is critical to avoid distortion or "dome cropping".

Presumably Ikelite has a compatibility chart available which should guide you.

Oh, by the way, (and I think I speak for everyone who reads your post).... it's not fair to call anything you do in that location, "work". Just sayin'...;-)

Thanks for the reply, Stoo.

Yeah, I've looked at the Ikelite compatibility chart, and have asked them about it too. They said either will work for both of those lenses, but online it says the 6" lens hood may have to be removed to prevent vignetting. I was just curious to see people's experience with either, particularly with edge sharpness and half in / half out photos. I'm wondering if the 8" is worth the few hundred extra bucks.

Yeah yeah, tough life, I know :)

Also, since below a certain depth is just blue light, should I worry about using some filter, or just deal with that after the fact in post?

Sponsors

Advertisements