MortenHansen

Free-diving with blue whales in Sri Lanka

Dear Wetpixel'ers,

I am looking at going to Sri Lanka this winter to (hopefully) free-dive with the blue whales.

We will be a small group of industry members going and are looking for advice/recommendations from someone who has done first hand experience with the whales in Sri Lanka.

Recommended companies to go with?

Best places?

Personal experiences (good & bad)?

Esspecially we would like to know how the whole show is run, we want to avoid being part of some big old whale-hunting-party at all cost :)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Warm greetings from Lembeh Strait,

Morten

Dear Wetpixel'ers,

I am looking at going to Sri Lanka this winter to (hopefully) free-dive with the blue whales.

Morten>>

Did you make this trip. Curious, as I would like to do the same.

Thanks,

Bpb

Dear Wetpixel'ers,

We will be a small group of industry members going and are looking for advice/recommendations from someone who has done first hand experience with the whales in Sri Lanka.

Recommended companies to go with?

Best places?

Personal experiences (good & bad)?

Esspecially we would like to know how the whole show is run, we want to avoid being part of some big old whale-hunting-party at all cost :)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Warm greetings from Lembeh Strait,

Morten

No direct experience, but I was looking to do something similar this spring. Speaking with Tony Wu about it largely dissuaded me -- apparently, things are just a circus with no rules enforced and way too many people harassing the whales. This was in the context of humpbacks, but I can't imagine things are that different with the blue whales.

Second-hand accounts from others who have gone also suggest very long days on the water in small boats without shade 15-20 miles off-shore. The blue whales are feeding, so they don't spend much time at the surface and move very fast. You need to time the drop right and hope they're swimming towards you to have any sort of hope of a (short) close encounter.

I was in Srilanka Last year End Feb/March and wanted to snorkel/free dive with blue whales. I found out that legally the authorities have banned this and one can only stay on boats to see the BW. Having said this i did find some operators that were willing to take me but insisted on my paying in advance and cost was close to USD 500 per day p.p. for 5-6 hours. BUT please keep in mind that this is not officially allowed. I finally opted out of this as found the price too steep for a chance encounter that may not happen.

Funnily though i did see a superb image taken by one Mr. Eric Goh Diving of the blue whale with Mr. Alex Mustard in the background. Really great image. So maybe you could ask them ?

Am taken some divers there again end Feb this year and am also trying to find a good gateway to do this, so please do keep me informed too.

Cheers,

Diggy

Sponsors

Advertisements