thetrickster

Atomos Flame Housing

There seems to be little news / info on the new Atomos recorders and that Nauticam have housings.

Mine turned up today. It's big.

85b2a4d8ea6c14c6330d9e9ed7a75f15.jpg

6c81600676544a25f4c0107c39a59530.jpg

I got all the tray and the other bits. Will post a photo of it together with my GH4 later.

Very impressed with the refinements over the Shogun housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I didn`t even knew they are producing it. Also I can find it on their web page...What is the price for it?

Interesting. Yeah, I heard from Scubacam in Singapore that Nauticam was producing this, but it seems Nauticam hasn't been doing much publicizing. Did you own the Shogun housing before, Trickster? What refinements are you referencing? Is the size/weight similar?

Dreifish, I never owned the NA-Shogun housing as I had the Ninja2. But had seen one in the flesh. The main things are the additions mounting point in the back, the 90 degree on the HDMI cable (which seems to be massively beefed up also) .

The bulkheads have moved around and it's $500 cheaper too. Didn't include the required NP550 battery for the fans. So need to order a couple.

It's made the rig, even without lights. Well erm. Massive... no idea on negative buoyancy, but I think a lot.

Nauticam (Both Alex at UWVisions and HQ) were excellent as usual, as I'm still using the older NA-GH3 Housing and Flexitray, but provided some custom mounting parts for me to use my old flexitray arms with the baseplate.

From what I understand it will be a special order item only. (Perhaps the Shogun housing didn't sell that well?) but the flame screen with its 1500nits is going to be amazing to use underwater.

0d0910f65e94548e01234e7be69be913.jpg

71759f25827ab7e1b968426702ede54b.jpg

74c706892d84d9060be3ed50032d9fbb.jpg

2014bc5d92b7449d38b8c1a55d194791.jpg

Off to the pool tomorrow to look at in water balance and how much more buoyancy I'll need.

• Like 1

while looking at this monstreous and unwieldy setup (not even talking trim) I wonder whether it would not make a lot more sense buying a dedicated video setup in the first place...

Edited by bubffm

I'll agree at that to, to be honest, but these things grow and I've got bits here and there over the past 3 yrs. if I had 15-20k, I would of gone for a Raven, scarlet or FS5 or similar, alas I don't! Those dragons sure look the biz!

But apart from those units, I can't think of any pro-consumer camcorder that can do 4K in ProRes with such a decent viewfinder and lens flexibility.

But yeah. Size, weight and form factor could be a whole lot better!!!

I'll agree at that to, to be honest, but these things grow and I've got bits here and there over the past 3 yrs. if I had 15-20k, I would of gone for a Raven, scarlet or FS5 or similar, alas I don't! Those dragons sure look the biz!

But apart from those units, I can't think of any pro-consumer camcorder that can do 4K in ProRes with such a decent viewfinder and lens flexibility.

Interested to see how buoyant the housing is. I have the previous shogun and its about 2lb positively buoyant. One you get the trim right the size is really not that much of an issue in many circumstances.

Even if it didn't offer 10bit recording, the size of the shogun viewfinder and focus peaking are increditably useful.

That's quite the contraption you've got yourself there, Trickster! Hehe..zoom-through wet lenses do sound good in theory. How do you find managing switching them underwater?

Recently I've started to notice I have trouble composing with the monitor of my A7rii underwater. I suppose it's mainly an issue of needing a prescription mask, but the idea of having a large external monitor I can position at different angles and use for critical exposure/ focus definitely appeals to me. If it's practical.

On the other hand, I totally hear what you're saying, bubffm. But what options do we really have for a large sensor interchangeable lens camera for underwater use? A Red raven runs 20k+ once you add a housing and the reports i hear are that the sensor isn't so good out of the box with the red channel.An FS7 is probably 15k with a housing and you going even get raw without an external recorder. None is nagging housings for the FS5 or Ursa Mini as far as I know..

I'd love to have a camera that I can take underwater that does 4k at 60p in at least a 10bit 4:2:2 broadcast approved codec, but there isn't anything at the prosumer level at the moment.

That's quite the contraption you've got yourself there, Trickster! Hehe..zoom-through wet lenses do sound good in theory.

How do you find managing switching them underwater?

I have the two bayonet holders on the float arms. So can dock a wet lens while I swap the other. Without two of them it would be hard to manage.

I love the flexibility, some places you only get a couple of dives on, and shark dive some times turns into a macro dive, if there isn't any sharks around. So being able to swap is great.

The new CMC2 looks good too.

Recently I've started to notice I have trouble composing with the monitor of my A7rii underwater. I suppose it's mainly an issue of needing a prescription mask, but the idea of having a large external monitor I can position at different angles and use for critical exposure/ focus definitely appeals to me. If it's practical.

It getting more and more difficult to travel with. If I'm honest. But the quality of the footage is worth the hang luggage issues! And once in the water it's are more stable which also leads to better footage. The exposure controls of these external monitors are also very good for nailing the footage in camera.

On the other hand, I totally hear what you're saying, bubffm. But what options do we really have for a large sensor interchangeable lens camera for underwater use? A Red raven runs 20k+ once you add a housing and the reports i hear are that the sensor isn't so good out of the box with the red channel.An FS7 is probably 15k with a housing and you going even get raw without an external recorder. None is nagging housings for the FS5 or Ursa Mini as far as I know..

I see someone has been doing the same research as me! Lol

Yeah the REDs are completely out of my price range. And you would probably still want a Shogun/Flame size viewfinder too!

I'd love to have a camera that I can take underwater that does 4k at 60p in at least a 10bit 4:2:2 broadcast approved codec, but there isn't anything at the prosumer level at the moment.

Add to that we are moving to 4K HDR....

Interested to see how buoyant the housing is. I have the previous shogun and its about 2lb positively buoyant.

That's really interesting to hear it's buoyant. Had visions of needing MORE arms.

Good to know.

I agree with you, trickster. Once you move into "Pro" camcorder territory, its getting seriously expensive. The Red or ARRI (even some off the Blackmagic stuff) would never be an option to me. They are too clumsy, have to be rigged up, need huge batteries and expensive storage media and are mostly way to expensive and heavy. I do find the Sony FS7 and even more so the FS5 really nice. The FS7 has a beautiful Sealux housing option, records 4k 422 10bit internally - but for me still to heavy and expensive.

The FS5 could be something I might seriously consider, still twice the cost of A7SII - but if I stretch a bit - maybe. I'd also love to use it overland. No housing yet afaik but I know Sealux are working on one which I hear is coming out next month. You wont have 4k 422 10bit internally, only 420 8bit for now (but Sony is churning out software upgrade options at an amazing rate for this cam, so that might well change) - but with the RAW option you can already today record Raw or ProRes up to 12bit (I think) using an Odyssey 7q. Do I need or want that? Nope. The workflow for these monster files is killing - and I'm not shooting for the BBC or NatGeo but for my own pleasure :-)

So, I hang around and see what's going to happen. In the meantime I'm pretty happy with my AX100.

Edited by bubffm
  • Like 1

That's really interesting to hear it's buoyant. Had visions of needing MORE arms.

Good to know.

Initially I had problems getting the trim right and avoiding the lens pitching down. I ended up attaching a small trim weight pouch to a ball mount on the base of the shogun housing. From your photo it seems you could add the ball mount to the back of the housing instead.

Does the original Shogun fit into the new housing?

Edited by recd

Hey Trickster,

Just curious if you've had a chance to use this setup in the water yet. If you have, any feedback?

I'm seriously considering this as an option for my A7RII rig right now, but I'd like to hear from people who have had experience using them in the field. The size and brightness of the monitor make it really appealing even without the external recording options (which aren't all that different from the internal recording options on the A7RII).

That FS7 housing from Sealux does look pretty sweet, though. It'd be nice to have a housing with a proper video-camera trim and egonomic characteristics rather than a photo camera housing.

Edited by dreifish

Howdy Drefish,

Alas I've been away working, so my planned trip to the Red Sea was put off, and the local beach I have here locally is utter rubbish for diving, let alone uw camera stuff.

I have had it in the pool - and I'll see if I can get in there again this weekend. But so far:

+ Major upgrade in stability, when I get the GH5 with IBIS I can see footage being silky smooth.

+ The top bar and tray, really make the rig strong.

+ Amazing detail and 'WYSWYG' on the screen

+ Lovely bright and colourful screen, compared to my Ninja2

+ Waveform and Zebras monitoring for ETTR

+ Focusing is spot on, can really see what is or isn't in focus

+ 10bit Prores 4k is a world apart from h264, I will never shoot in h264 again!

- Not ideal screen position - very close to you, but perhaps I just need to get used to that, but at the moment I'm holding it out in front more.

- Heavy

- As I'm recording in 10bit, I can't have the GH4's info displayed externally, so changing settings, I need to 'flip' the flame up to see the screen for changes for example to WB, ISO etc.

• Like 1

"- Not ideal screen position - very close to you, but perhaps I just need to get used to that, but at the moment I'm holding it out in front more.

- Heavy

- As I'm recording in 10bit, I can't have the GH4's info displayed externally, so changing settings, I need to 'flip' the flame up to see the screen for changes for example to WB, ISO etc."

Agree, these are an issue with my shogun rig. With the size of the atomos screen you need to hold it out in front anyway to see the whole screen, unless you have geeko eyes.

I usually just flip the screen up for WB ect, although for a couple of stops to ISO and apperture just look at the waveform. The clamp on the mounting makes it easy to adjust the position of the screen. I did experiment with mounting the atomos on top of the GH4, so I could see both screens at once, but it made it hard to control pitching up and down.

Would you post some photos of your atomos housing with the door open and the recorder mounted. I am interested it what internal changes were made compared to the shogun version. Does the flame mount to the viewfinder door? Is there room to have both batteries fitted to the flame?

Thanks, I'm envious aready.

col

edit to remove question about fans, you have already answered it!

Edited by recd

That FS7 housing from Sealux does look pretty sweet, though. It'd be nice to have a housing with a proper video-camera trim and egonomic characteristics rather than a photo camera housing.

That is a beautiful housing indeed. There is also one for the FS5 in the pipeline, so I'd love to get that one for the lower weight/size - but the major drawback is no internal 4K in 10bit 4.2.2.....

Edited by bubffm

Would you post some photos of your atomos housing with the door open and the recorder mounted.

I am interested it what internal changes were made compared to the shogun version. Does the flame mount to the viewfinder door? Is there room to have both batteries fitted to the flame?

Hi Recd, will post photos tonight. But to answer your questions, yes the Flame mounts on the door and there is 3 locks switches which hold it in place. The Flame can take both batteries (which are quite fat!) while fitted to the housing.

The HDMI cable has been found to be faulty - so I'm awaiting a replacement. :( If its deemed to be my fault, as Nauticam only provide a 4mth warranty on cables - the cables are £324!!!!!!

18042d28b645f807cec80265a981f08e.jpg

ee8fc7edee232afa060c725ee9d0d3ed.jpg

7e8a06d09d31c5915191bf06211db993.jpg

Thanks

One of the more frustating (and expensive) factors of underwater video/ photography is thet the newer/better? model almost never fits the older model's housing

Tell me about it.... The only saving grace of this housing (the NA-FLAME) is that it will take the Inferno too - so can upgrade to 4k@60 in the future - if I want to

Sponsors

Advertisements