Sign in to follow this  
brammel

Squid during night dive

During a night dive in the red sea this squid passed by. Any tips to further improve it? Photo is taken with a Sony RX100 mk2 (Nauticam housing) and one Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. No extra lenses used.

29345474932_48301da9e3.jpg

Edited by Bram de Roos
  • Like 3

Too my eye the shot might benifit from a bit more exposure. The black needs to stay black of course, but if the body of the squid was a little brighter it would be a more dramatic contrast from the black. This might be able to be done in post if you have photoshop and open as a camera raw then paint the squid with a + exposure brush.

are you looking for ways to improve it in LR / photoshop, or for improvements when taking it.

I disagree with the squid needing more light. It could use a little less light on the eye. From a composition point of view, it would be nice if there was more of a diagonal.

Yep, I agree with Gerard on the diagonal.

When shooting or re-composing in, say, LR, I always think it worth trying to get the critter running cross the diagonal with the most important point of interest - usually the eye - in the intersection of the line of thirds in either top or bottom corner (hope that makes sense!). For me, the object moving into the image from right to left creates the impression of the critter coming towards the viewer. If shot, from left to right, of leaving the image.

And, yep, a little less light on the eye. And maybe, just a tad extra light at the rear of the body so it's not quite fading into black.

Counsels of perfection: doncha just love them.....

Nice shot :dancing:

Very cool shot! I agree with both Tim and Gerard. If you crop in slightly and rotate the image a little until the squid runs more diagonaly through the frame with the eye on the intersecting lines (rule of 3rds) this would create a more powerful image and push the focal point towards the eye. And yes i also find the eye and surrounding space too bright. You could try pulling the highlights down in lightroom or use the adjustment brush to target the specific areas you want to change.

Hope this helps!

I too agree with above comments (though i think it's already a very decent image, knowing those guys can runaway quite fast).

In terms of improvement while shooting, i'd suggest if you can be more "facing" the squid, less "on the side" (sorry i don't have the precise english words for this, but guess you'll understand ;-)).

Cool photo! Rotate it a bit and the image will look better.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements