Sign in to follow this  
dustin

D70 in Ikelite housing - Diopter ruined dome

I have the Ikelite housing and the suggested dome port for the 18-70 with the +4 tiffen diopter on. I was just getting ready to head out for another dive and and when putting the dome port back on notcied there is a nice half moon shaped cut on the inside of the port. In the pool there were no problems with it hitting, I dont know if the deeper dives I have done are compressing the port against the housing further than expected or not.

Is there anything I can do to the port while I am out here in the Marshall Islands or is it time to shoot macro the entire trip?

Man, does that ever suck! It sounds like the additional pressure is the reason you had contact, as compared to in the pool. Ikelite users take note and check with Ikelite. All diopters are different and some stick out more than others...and some are serrated on the front.

Dustin: You CAN polish acrylic in the field, but you need the right supplies. If you have experience with acrylic aquariums, it's about the same. I'd start looking for some brasso or a light abrasive polishing compound. You want to start with an abrasive and end up with just a soft cloth and some lemon pledge. Don't polish the whole inside, just the affected area.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

James

I took my D70 with a +4 Hoyo Diopter in an Ike housing down to around 100 feet in Cozumel and shot almost all of my shots at 70mm and didn't have any problems.

I wonder if you were accidentally sent the wrong dome?

You can read here about someone that thought his diopter hit in the dome, but then later realized he had on the wrong dome that was very similar to the one meant for the kit lens.

Do you happen to have more than one dome?

In every pool dive I did, and all the land testing the lens never hit the port. Now after yesterdays dives it does. It does it underwater and it does it on land. The only thing I changed in thge housing was adding some washers on the gear that spins the aperature dial, that actually pushed the camera back in the housing, not forward to the port. I have no idea why it started. I shot 350 pics today I sohuld be able to tell if the scratch is noticeable.

I dont know if I got the wrong port, there are no numbers on it and the boxes are at home.

I have never seen a diopter that would be long enough to strike the proper dome port for the 18-70, making me think your retailer (me) shipped you the incorrect port or a box was mislabeled.

If this was the case, I'll immediately replace the port when you return, and I'm sorry you had to be bothered with this on your trip.

While this isn't the issue here, confusion between the 5503.5 (12-24) and 5503.55 (18-70) has been fairly common, making me think some sort of labeling is in order for customers that have both. As a couple of people here have noted, when the 18-70 is used behind the 12-24 port, it does just touch the dome.

Hello -

I have a Hoya +4 on my d70 and had no problems the other day in the pool. have not been in real water yet.. the .55 extension on the model of the port is important.. apparently that designates the length. Can you send us a picture of your D70 with port installed? I'll check clearance on my lens tonight and see how close the diopter approaches dome..

M.

I've had the same confusion with the ports......I've now marked mine with tape......the correct dome for the 18-70 isn't anywhere close to hitting the diopter

Shorter dome port for 12-24 and longer dome port for 18-70

Karl

Looks like I did have the wrong size port. Simple mistake I guess. The scratches never showed up in any of my pictures though, so thats good.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements