diver dave1

Austrailian diving in Feb and March

Looks like I could be attending a wedding in the Sydney area in late Feb. I have a non-diving wife with me so diving the liveaboards is not an option.

Where would be a good dive area for a week of diving?

Should I travel up to the Byron Bay area?

Or better to go further south and try for leafy Sea Dragons?

Visit Heron Island or similar locations?

Something else?

This might be my only trip to AUS in my lifetime so want to make it count.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

Diver Dave

Edited by diver dave1

It's a big country. How much travelling do you want to do? Late Feb will be mid summer and the warmest water temps of the year. It's also wet season up in Queensland so the vis might not be the best if you stay close to shore. Sydney diving is meant to be nice. In the same state you could visit South West Rocks (Fish Rock Cave with lots of grey nurse sharks), Jervis Bay (big rocky reef scenery) or go north for Coffs Harbour and the Solitary Islands (starting to get tropical life).

I am thinking of staying at Heron Island for perhaps a week or so. The water is warmer than Byron Bay and better viz, I think.

Anyone done diving near there?

Yep, a huge place.

We are open to travel to one diving area.

Late Feb early March is prime summer conditions at Byron Bay. Water temp is around 24-26c and generally its the best time of year for Viz. This time of year we get large numbers of Leopard Sharks (aka Zebra Sharks) and Manta Rays.

Here is a video I took for the shop in Feburary this year to give you an idea. https://www.facebook.com/SundiveByronBay/videos/1144943285546108/

I personally would look at travelling to Byron Bay via South West Rocks from Sydney. SWR is about 4-5 hours drive north of Sydney and Byron Bay is another 4-5 hours North of SWR (or 2.5 hours drive south of Brisbane). SWR has Grey Nurse Sharks in numbers and also has a sea cave which is 120m long which goes straight through the island of Fish Rock which is the local dive site. Water temp is about the same as Byron with 24-26c and vis can get up to 40m+. This year they had schooling Hammerheads. This drive will take you through alot of pretty countryside for the non diver and give you the chance to dive a couple of the best dive sites in Australia and gives you more options to choose from if the weather goes bad and not having all your eggs in one basket.

Diving both SWR (with SWR Dive Centre) and in Byron Bay is that the dive shops go out everyday during that time of the year depending on the weather. Alot of other shops on the East Coast do limited week day diving or only weekend.

Got any questions just drop me a line.

Regards Mark

• Like 1

As a dive instructor from australia, id recommend fish rock at south west rocks 100%!! Also, byron bay would be great this time of year, leopard sharks and mantas very likely. Heron island is amazing too!! One of the best places in australia for mantas, plus beautiful beaches for your missus.

Sponsors

Advertisements