Draq

New Olympus camera and new Panasonic lens

I just read about the new Olympus E-M1 Mark II and it looks promising. Most of the new features look questionable for underwater but new sensor, improved DR and better focus tracking look promising. There is also an interesting pro capture mode that would not work with strobes but would be interesting to use with a video light or in ambient light. Larger battery and dual sd cards are nice. Still works with the little pop-up flash, but I hope Nauticam will offer a flash trigger for it in the new housings whenever they appear.

Also, Panasonic is going to offer an 8-18 lens that will be interesting to compare to the current Panasonic and Olympus 7-14 lenses.

Actually I would kill for a moderate fisheye zoom like the tokina.

Even for a fast WA rectilinear lens...

• Like 1

Actually I would kill for a moderate fisheye zoom like the tokina.

Even for a fast WA rectilinear lens...

Wouldn't the Olympus 7-14 f2.8 fill that slot?

The EM1 mk2 autofocus system seems to be a vast improvement over the mk1 which was one of the biggest draw backs of m43 for moving subjects. 18fps in AF-C with electronic shutter, 15fps with mechanical shutter and 60fps electronic shutter in AF-S!! All full res RAW. I was shooting skeleton shrimps on moving sea weed with the 60mm macro and the auto focus on my EM1 was pretty poor. Also above water, trying to shoot birds and wildlife is frustrating too.

The other major failing of mirror less is battery life which has a 37% improvement on the mk2. The Panasonic G85 has a low power EVF mode that stretches battery life to 800-900 shots. However Panasonics auto focus is still the contrast DFD and I don't think they have announced the GH5 specs yet but I'm ope to corrections.

I'm eager to get the EM1 mk2 release date, price and reviews.

Here is Olympus housing for it.

post-50926-0-06862800-1474337681_thumb.png

post-50926-0-04548800-1474337699_thumb.png

I'm happy to see the same port change system as on my current M1. One big downside to this camera underwater: the Oly website lists the flash sync speed as 1/250, not even the 1/320 of the M1. That's a bummer.

1/250 is still decent though, better than the latest panasonics. Depending on AF and 4k implementation this camera might change my plans to get a gx80... We really need better video AF

Autofocus, including tracking subjects, and viewfinder are the two most important features for me and both are improved. Especially compared to my current EM5 mk I. Focus bracketing would be interesting for macro if we could use video lights instead of strobes and I have the feeling that video lights are already up to the task in at least some situations: macro/close-up and not shooting in bright daylight. A narrower beam video light may help as well. My next trip will still use the EM5 but I am looking forward to hands-on reviews to see if the claims about the AF translate to real-world experience.

On focus stacking with the current M1, I believe you can program in the interval between shots in order to give your strobes enough time to recharge.

Sponsors

Advertisements