Nick Hope

Panasonic LUMIX GH5 for underwater video

I know it is impossible but it would be good at least if we could put our gh4 into the gh5 housing if we cant do the opposite ;)

• Like 1

Watch the whole video, and it makes the $2K price tag justifiable for all the features it has!

There are allready rumors about a possible price reduction of 400 USD in april so pre-orders might no be the best solution.

There will only be limited quantities in march/april. Wait for the camera to be available in numbers in may. ;-)

Edited by EspenB

There are allready rumors about a possible price reduction of 400 USD in april so pre-orders might no be the best solution.

There will only be limited quantities in march/april. Wait for the camera to be available in numbers in may. ;-)

The camera price always go down within a year after release. I bought my GH4 for around US$1100, about 8 months after it's release. Of course I had to buy it from ebay in Canada.

I've already gave my deposit money to CVP! Looks stunning so far.

AutoISO now works in Full Manual Movie mode, and you have the ability to set the lower and higher limits to this, so enabling you to set Aperture and Shutter and let the camera keep exposure using ISO - this is a massive improvement...!

Richard, you haven't wait for the housing price and already pre-order?

Also, don't forget, now you can pull focus, all in the camera!!!!

Richard, you haven't wait for the housing price and already pre-order?

What's matters the housing cost? :-)

It gonna be whatever Nauticam sell it for. It won't affect my decision to buy the GH5 or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AutoISO now works in Full Manual Movie mode, and you have the ability to set the lower and higher limits to this, so enabling you to set Aperture and Shutter and let the camera keep exposure using ISO - this is a massive improvement...!

GH5 is the new GoPro (on Steroids)

PS

I will get a second hand GH4 once everybody will run to get GH5

Edited by Davide DB
  • Like 1

Wow, those specs look truly impressive, particulary 4:2:2 60p 4k via paid upgrade. Thy may lure me out of the camcorder camp :-) Looks like it will only be avail. here by May/June, so plenty time to think...

Burkhard

Edited by bubffm

5.Will the back button focus work while recording?

It did on the GH4 so I would imagine it would on the GH5

I pre-ordered the Nauticam housing today. I was told I'm the first in the country to do so.....wonder if that's true????

Wow, those specs look truly impressive, particulary 4:2:2 60p 4k via paid upgrade...

I think it's intended to be free.

There are some native clips to download from the link in the description of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-qUZTTb1fY

Vegas Pro and Davinci Resolve won't open the 10-bit 422 footage.

Edited by Nick Hope

This is really the first time I've watch a bunch of 60fps stuff on Youtube and watching the Ice video - I have to say 60fps - looks weird to me.

Very detailed, rich and vibrant - actually its pretty spectacular- like something I've seen while watching the demo's on the $5K OLED TVs I can't afford.

But not something I think I'll use underwater? Are we too use to 25/30fps?

It's very easy for 48+ frame rate to look really cheap and nasty. It's just too real and has that kind of "video" look associated with crappy TV shows. For me it totally loses the cinematic sense of lower frame rates, and sometimes it's somehow a little unsettling. The Hobbit at 48p was awful. Maybe we'll get used to it and low frame rates will end up looking weird. This Griffin Hammond GH5 video is about the best I've seen someone make of it:

Jonathan Bird's Blue World has been using 60p for a while on YouTube and it doesn't look too bad there. https://www.youtube.com/user/BlueWorldTV

Edited by Nick Hope

Improvement in colour.... (from 3:30 in the video)

Edited by thetrickster

Guys, there is advantage of shooting at 60 fps (or 48 fps)! I have studied a lot of UW videos done by popular videographers, They incorporated a lot of slow motions, not only to create that "graceful" manta/shark glide by scene, but it's also to create the "stabilized" footage feel. If you shoot high fps and slow it down by 1/3 or 1/2, chances is you don't need to use Warp Stabilizer. If you force a 24 fps/30fps to slow down, you're introducing duplicated in between frames, which I think there is some not so desire effects.

• Like 3

It did on the GH4 so I would imagine it would on the GH5

I can't get the backbutton focus to work while recording on my GH4. Am I missing a special setting or something?

Guys, there is advantage of shooting at 60 fps (or 48 fps)! I have studied a lot of UW videos done by popular videographers, They incorporated a lot of slow motions, not only to create that "graceful" manta/shark glide by scene, but it's also to create the "stabilized" footage feel. If you shoot high fps and slow it down by 1/3 or 1/2, chances is you don't need to use Warp Stabilizer. If you force a 24 fps/30fps to slow down, you're introducing duplicated in between frames, which I think there is some not so desire effects.

I agree. The main reason I wish for the capability of shooting 50p (Europe here...) is the ability to have more slow-down / stabilisation potential. Using optical flow to slow down 25p footage has its limits.

Thanks. So 10-bit-4:2:2 All-I is only planned up to 30p @ 4k. This may tip the balance towards me sitting this one out and sticking with my GH4.

I wish cameras like this would give us the option of doing 2.7k or 1440p like the GoPros and give us the higher bit depth and color sampling. It's a great format for stabilizing and doing a bit of re-framing before delivering in 1080p.

Well yes of course. And that is a good advantage. But as for >30p delivered at >30p, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they actually like it, apart from the manufacturers selling it. Anyway, that's a subject for another discussion.

I can't get the backbutton focus to work while recording on my GH4. Am I missing a special setting or something?

Is the back AE/AF Button set to 'AF-ON' within the menu. Are you on the latest FW for your GH4 body?

I agree. The main reason I wish for the capability of shooting 50p (Europe here...) is the ability to have more slow-down / stabilisation potential. Using optical flow to slow down 25p footage has its limits.

The in camera slowmo stuff looks pretty sweet from the demos!

From previous attempts at fixing footage. Optical Flow and Post Stabilisation, both really need to be 'shot for' at shutter speeds of minimum of 1/250 - 1/500 (not the standard FPS*2) to get crisp individual frames, for the software to see where things are moving, other than motion blur. But dropping the 60fps stuff to 24fps should look nice.

Thanks. So 10-bit-4:2:2 All-I is only planned up to 30p @ 4k. This may tip the balance towards me sitting this one out and sticking with my GH4.

I wish cameras like this would give us the option of doing 2.7k or 1440p like the GoPros and give us the higher bit depth and color sampling. It's a great format for stabilizing and doing a bit of re-framing before delivering in 1080p.

Well yes of course. And that is a good advantage. But as for >30p delivered at >30p, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they actually like it, apart from the manufacturers selling it. Anyway, that's a subject for another discussion.

Nick, I agree, after seeing this 60p stuff on youtube, I can see myself NOT shooting in that format, I'm just not ready I suppose to watch that type of motion - doesn't lend itself to storytelling type footage. I was in two minds to swap out my Ninja Flame for the Inferno (same housing luckily) to get the 60fps, but perhaps not.

Won't be be getting the anamorphic full sensor (4:3) 5K readout in one of the FW updates? This will provide similar image to the 1440p ?

However, I still think the GH5 is a big update from GH4 shooters, even if it was still only shooting 4K@30p. We now have full width of the sensor, no rolling shutter, the IBIS / DualIS for more silky smooth shoots, better ISO performance, AutoISO and fingers crossed better color rendition.

Edited by thetrickster

Richard

Thanks for the tip - the firmware update did the trick.

Cheers

Steve

Won't be be getting the anamorphic full sensor (4:3) 5K readout in one of the FW updates? This will provide similar image to the 1440p ?

Maybe but my point was, I reckon at 400Mbps there's a good chance they could manage 10-bit 4:2:2 60p at 2.7k, which would be a preferable format for me to shoot because of the scope to stabilize and pan/crop it then deliver full HD. They presumably won't be able to manage that quality at 5K or they would also offer it at 4K. I probably should have left 1440p out of it as I forget that's 4:3, not 16:9 :swimmingfish:

However, I still think the GH5 is a big update from GH4 shooters, even if it was still only shooting 4K@30p. We now have full width of the sensor, no rolling shutter, the IBIS / DualIS for more silky smooth shoots, better ISO performance, AutoISO and fingers crossed better color rendition.

I totally agree. It appears to be a great upgrade. My personal reason for probably skipping is partly due to spending more time in post than shooting in the next year or two.

• Like 1

Well not per say for the GH5. This housing of their is a generic (hence the size) MIL housing that takes, GHx cameras, A6300/6500 etc.

They are somehow using wifi for the controls (the buttons on the right)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you at the show Richard?

I'll be there from thursday.

I've seen the "universal" Easy Dive housings before on the previous Boot instalments, and they are probably not for me. ;-)

Sponsors

Advertisements