Nick Hope

Panasonic LUMIX GH5 for underwater video

This sunday, my plan is to film some nudibranches with my Gh5. If you want, I can shoot some footage for you in 10bit 422. What kind of shot would you like to have to colorgrade?

Thanks Rollin, is that possible to have something deeper than 15m without using video light?

This sunday, my plan is to film some nudibranches with my Gh5. If you want, I can shoot some footage for you in 10bit 422. What kind of shot would you like to have to colorgrade?

Yeah!.

It would be great short shot at arround -20, MWB, sunlight, pointing to some redish stuff (is possible), blue background. A little of sandy bottom in the frame would be perfect. After that, same shot al 8bit 420 would be ven more perfect!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

It will be not so deep, but visibility will be low and the water is very greenish. Lots of color cast to work with :-).

I'll see what I can do for you guys.

An u/w pro shooter friend of mine switched from GH4 to Canon 1DXii and says he's now able to leave AF on for most stuff.

I know only of one pro who shots the Canon 1DXii underwater - so thats probably D.A. :notworthy:

Great quality pics. But the cam is a monster and seriously expensive. To me, it has some considerable downsides too:

- two different CFlash card standards in one body - what the heck is this ???

- the Video JPEG "codec" is a bit of a joke...

So, thanks but no thanks :-) GH5 Housing should arrive tomorrow...

• Like 2

I too considering to upgrade from GH4 to GH5, and one of the feature I'm very curious is the in body image stabilization (IBIS). There are plenty youtube vid about the IBIS for normal vid shooting top side and I'm really impress with the result.

Any tough about the GH5's IBIS for underwater shooting?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, my 2 cents. Water is dampening the small erratic movements, so IBIS makes not much difference as far as I can see. The larger movements, caused by using your fins or swell can't be solved by IBIS.

I will try to include an IBIS-test this weekend as well if I find the time.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I have no experience of the IBIS in the GH5.

However, my former Sony MC50 video camera had an OIS that was able to lessen, but not completely eliminate, the slight swaying caused by fin action whilst shooting video and swimming at the same time. The Sony had couple of settings for the OIS and I shot test videos with various settings before I selected the setting that best matched my swimming style. I once forgot the recording on after a dive and got wonderful footage of the camera being handed over to the boat and then thrown under a bench. Thereafter the OIS kept compensating the rolling motion of the boat.

PS. you can also lessen the swaying motion by performing much smaller fin strokes, e.g. modified frog or flutter kick.

• Like 1

Conditions were far from ideal, strong currents and low visibility, quiet typical for this area, but I hoped to have some better circumstances to test.

Anyhow, I made some more or less identical footage in 4K in 10bit 422 and 8 bit 420, including some white(ish) subjects (anemones) and reddish subjects (sponge/buddy with red suit, sea star). No clear water with depths of 20m and white sand in 800 miles around, I'm sorry.

Testing of IBIS failed, because I couldn't find the menu to turn it off. As soon as I took the camera out of the housing, "stabilisation" stared me right in the face. I guess I was looking for "IBIS" under water, trying not to be swept away while I was pushing the buttons.

The folder is large (2Gb), if someone has a convenient solution to share these files, please, go ahead.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/058c5dd8e6a1828d5a837ad116bd724820170620210558/103b536a37a6e6db539f90503f3179f520170620210558/4e4f3e

Have fun with it.
Rollin

Edited by rollin

Downloading!!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Conditions were far from ideal, strong currents and low visibility, quiet typical for this area, but I hoped to have some better circumstances to test.

Anyhow, I made some more or less identical footage in 4K in 10bit 422 and 8 bit 420, including some white(ish) subjects (anemones) and reddish subjects (sponge/buddy with red suit, sea star). No clear water with depths of 20m and white sand in 800 miles around, I'm sorry.

Testing of IBIS failed, because I couldn't find the menu to turn it off. As soon as I took the camera out of the housing, "stabilisation" stared me right in the face. I guess I was looking for "IBIS" under water, trying not to be swept away while I was pushing the buttons.

The folder is large (2Gb), if someone has a convenient solution to share these files, please, go ahead.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/058c5dd8e6a1828d5a837ad116bd724820170620210558/103b536a37a6e6db539f90503f3179f520170620210558/4e4f3e

Have fun with it.

Rollin

Thank you for the effort to test the IBIS albeit failed. The file is way too big for me to download tho.. :)

Look forward to read more comments regarding this matter in the future.

Cheers!

Thanks for that! Downloaded the files but can play the 10 bit files for some reason. Tried to open them in Resolve they appear offline.

I can't play them myself as well. I have to encode them to Avid DNxHR HQX with Adobe Media Encoder, but then, they will become 6 times as large.

Edited by rollin

Thanks for that! Downloaded the files but can play the 10 bit files for some reason. Tried to open them in Resolve they appear offline.

I can't play them myself as well. I have to encode them to Avid DNxHR HQX with Adobe Media Encoder, but then, they will become 6 times as large.

Yes. Thast's a known issue. The beta 14 is available. Did you try with this or with an older one?. Anyway I believe that it is a matter of (hopely short) time to run in Davinci. A few months ago Adobe could'n manage them too.

I think 4K 10bit 422 GH5 files only open in the paid version of Resolve 14, not the free one. Also I know they don't open in Vegas Pro yet. I heard Premiere Pro CC can open them now.

I used the free version of Resolve 14. Normally it does work with other 10 bit 422 Prores HD files.

ProRes 10 bit 422 should not be a problem with either the free Version or the Studio Version of Davinci Resolve. It works with both here. Are you sure you are trying to edit ProRes files and not the original highly compressed files the GH5 creates?? Those will either not work at all or make your machine just stutter along in an unusable way in Davinci. A bit better in FCPX but I prefer converting to ProRes there as well or use Proxy's for editing.

bbrip

I was trying with the original GH5 files. Prores 422 works fine.

:)

Dunno, but there is various freeware for both Mac and PC. I use Kyno on Mac. Super sleek workflow - but not free....

It is good to have a extreme-conditions footage to play with... but this???!!! I find it too extreme. I didn't know how to deal with this at all. Thanks god you couldn't make it until -20m!!.

Well, the point was to push the video data hard to see its behavior in each case regardless aesthetic evaluations.

Since I didn't want any transcodification (to be able to grade in Davinci), I did it in Adove Premiere using the Lumetri color corrector. Same grading in the 422 and 420 versions. Hard to get any conclussions so far, but I could notice the 420 got more noisy (upper right corner) in high light zones.

It's a little bit pointless to analize single frames, the noise is noticeable in play. But I upload then anyway

420 8 bits Ungraded

420 8 bits Graded

422 10 bits ungraded

422 10 bits graded

Agree the conditions are too difficult to make any meaningful comparison. Any camera would strangle in these conditions IMHO.

Sponsors

Advertisements