kc_moses

Olympus for video shooter?

I don't see Olympus in the video discussion in the past mainly because there were only doing HD, now that they have 4k, what's the interest level on Olympus 4K shooting? Does it has better color than Panasonic? I know their IS is the top of the industry, so that itself could be a good reason to switch over from either Panasonic, or even for Sony people. Am I missing something? Here is the promo:

• Like 1

I think this will be a very interesting competitor to the current GH4 and the GH5.

I know its only a YouTube video, but the IBIS, AF and auto exposure look pretty impressive. Alas the dynamic range looks poor from the video.

I won't be jumping on the GH5 straight away and will await the reviews and sample footage to come in on both of these - as the Olympus has some pretty nice features. Plus I've always liked the colours from my previous Olympus cameras.

But finally Olympus might be serious about the hybrid market after all...

Olympus is a new player in the video field, they were lagging miles behind Panasonic - a setback, which is difficult to correct in a single move. PRO video is not just an Mbps and a resolution number, it is about pixel (over)sampling, sensor performance (rolling shutter, overheating), codec, clean 10bit HDMI out, video-friendly features like Log, Zebra, easy change of settings while shooting,

Edited by tamas970
  • Like 2

I know their IS is the top of the industry, so that itself could be a good reason to switch over from either Panasonic, or even for Sony people.

Panasonics IBIS seems to be equally good or better in the recent offerings.

The Panasonic IBIS is very impressive and from the examples I've seen is on par with the current Olympus E-M1. But Olympus are promising 6.5stops in the MKii - which is insane.

Still think, in the end the GH5 will be massively better for video use, but lots of choices inbound. Alas BHPhoto have stated the GH5 isn't due to NEXT summer. Bummer..

Everything can be "good enough". You won't need an IBIS providing 2sec exposures if the subject moves in <1/4sec. Unless you shoot chess pieces, there will be movement in the picture.

Oly maxed out IBIS, Panny is very close with the current GX85, it's time to focus on other aspects, like c-AF, video codec, etc.

The Panasonic IBIS is very impressive and from the examples I've seen is on par with the current Olympus E-M1. But Olympus are promising 6.5stops in the MKii - which is insane.

Still think, in the end the GH5 will be massively better for video use, but lots of choices inbound. Alas BHPhoto have stated the GH5 isn't due to NEXT summer. Bummer..

Sponsors

Advertisements