Jock

Inon knob 3d printing - please help modifying

A while ago I downloaded an .stl file from Thingiverse for an Inon strobe knob. I had the knob printed and used it for a few dives in cold water with thick gloves.

It was absolutely no problem to operate the strobe knobs with this add-on, BUT: The knobs had a tight fitting in the beginning, after 10-15 dives they lost friction, and I lost two of them. Next time I will use some silicone (I am a dentist and have access to low viscosity silicone...) to give them a better friction.

And there is something else that - IMHO - could be improved: As you can see in the attached picture, the "arrowhead" of the knob is quite small. I wish it was bigger, like in the "Photoshopped" version on the right side of the pic (with a quick glimpse you could see more easily to what position the knobs are set). The file is no longer available on Thingiverse, and I cannot find any contact infos for the uploader, Grega Verč, to ask him for a modification.

I have absolutely zero experience with 3D modelling or how to modify the .stl-file, Is someone here whom I might bother to ask to do this for me - and others, of course? I attach the .stl-file; hope it is not against any netiquette and there is no copyright trouble (as far as I remember, the file was offered under a CC license, and I used it just for me, strictly non-commercial)?

To flatten the top of the knob or not is just personal taste.

Regards,
Jock

post-5673-0-09787500-1476550811_thumb.jpg

INON-knob.stl.zip

Edited by Jock

Thanks!

Did not know about Tinkercad - it is really not too complicated to use. I played around with it a little and could personalize the knobs, i.e. engrave my name on the top :-)

I had my knobs printed with "glow in the dark" pla. On 3dhubs.com a knob costs me around 3 EUR here in Germany, pla or abs. Do you think abs is a better choice?

Jock

PLA might not last as long as ABS, but it should still last a long time. Water bottles are made out of something like PLA, while Lego's are made out of ABS, so are many car body parts... PLA tends to be super easy to print with, and ABS can be finicky, requires you to control the air temperature in the printing bed area better.

This is a really tiny knob that will print in minutes, and i have glow in the dark PLA. How many do you want? I'll send them to you for the cost of postage, you want say 6 of them?

I ask about abs or pla because u said that its losing friction. I want to check if they are pla or abs. I know that abs will last better for load bearing. I am not too sure about cold weather...

Plus.. Do u take the knob out after every trip??

The printed extension knob will fall off sooner or later, unless it is retained with a cross pin. As the Inon knob already has a hollow pin through it, it is easy to drill a 1.5 mm (1/16 in.) hole through the Inon knob and printed extension

post-47296-0-32391700-1547753788_thumb.jpg

and retain it with a stainless pin or a thick nylon fishing line, as shown here.

post-47296-0-52776400-1547753827_thumb.jpg

post-47296-0-06562700-1547756862_thumb.jpg

I used a Crest toothpaste cap, it does the job and is free.

--

See also:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63453

Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  • Like 1

Here you go

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3317377

you might need to play with the scale to get the fit that you want. mine seems to work at 98% you can vary that in the slicer that you use.

I don't think it is all that easy , if indeed, possible, to modify an stl file.

Let me know how you get on

Trevor

Edited by Chopcat

Just tested some at 96% on Cura slicer and they fit very nicely.

Wolfie - if you are watching the Glow in the Dark has arrived so if you pm me your address I will pop some in the post

Trevor

Sponsors

Advertisements