spudgun

New 4k Camera choices...decisions decisions....

Greetings my fine fellow divers and artists.

I would very much welcome your opinions and advice. My area of interest is predominantly VIDEO, with an occasional stills option.

The time has come, I fear, to dispense with my trusty Canon HV30 and Ikelite Housing and get a new set up.

Of course, the SONY AX100 looks mighty awesome but the cost of the only housing available, (from Gates), ( consider to be exorbitant and believe there to be alternatives available.

It would appear to be the general consensus of opinion that the Panasonic GH4 is probably the king for 4k Video, (excepting more professional, much more expensive set ups, a la RED or Canon CINE cameras, for example).

My dilemma is, given that audio is not an issue for me as I only wish to procure Stock Footage, should I perhaps go with the Lumix G7, given that one presumes the Video quality to be almost equal of the GH4?

That said, some opine that the humble Lumix LX100 is almost of equal quality in terms of 4k Video, also. And what about the Lumix G80/85?? A new kid on the block?

Are you guys excited by the upcoming Sony RX 100 V?. Do you think that the quality of its 'higher sampled' 4k video will surpass the Panasonic examples?

Decisions, decisions....

I welcome your thoughts.

Kindest wishes.

Spud

GH5 4K 60p!

Promising, I agree. Alas, there is no sign of this camera and I don't think it will surface until next summer. Then we have to wait for the housing, given the camera is smaller than the GH4.

So what to DO?

I fancy the G80/85 because of the stabilisation, but there are a couple of Sony's, albeit expensive MFT cameras.

Having the GH4 since 2014...

The newer GX80 and the G80 - do provide a better base image in terms of less noise and higher detail, so apart from VLOG and HDMI output from the GH4 - it could be worth looking at those instead - especially with the IBIS, which makes a big difference to footage.

The Sony's Alpha's image quality looks also really good - use the DPReview Video Still Comparsion shot tool:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80/4

The A6300 and A6500 offer insane image quality compared to the older 4k cameras, but it appears there is big issues with White Balance underwater across the whole Sony range of cameras from the RX100's, AX100 right up to the A7sII.

I wouldn't buy either the GH4 or the AX100 at the moment (unless its 2nd hand and cheap) - they are 2+yrs old, and with the GH5 coming, with 4k@60, and with it being full width and not a crop, its going to be a great 2017.

I'm also interested to see if finally...Olympus have cracked decent video with the E-M1ii.

Having the GH4 since 2014...

The newer GX80 and the G80 - do provide a better base image in terms of less noise and higher detail, so apart from VLOG and HDMI output from the GH4 - it could be worth looking at those instead - especially with the IBIS, which makes a big difference to footage.

The Sony's Alpha's image quality looks also really good - use the DPReview Video Still Comparsion shot tool:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80/4

The A6300 and A6500 offer insane image quality compared to the older 4k cameras, but it appears there is big issues with White Balance underwater across the whole Sony range of cameras from the RX100's, AX100 right up to the A7sII.

I wouldn't buy either the GH4 or the AX100 at the moment (unless its 2nd hand and cheap) - they are 2+yrs old, and with the GH5 coming, with 4k@60, and with it being full width and not a crop, its going to be a great 2017.

I'm also interested to see if finally...Olympus have cracked decent video with the E-M1ii.

Huge thanks for this input. Just what I needed. GH4 is still pretty expensive, as is the HOUSING. The G7 is great quality video AND much cheaper set up but no stabilisation, and as I haven't seen any footage from anyone underwater with this camera I'm assuming it to be a no go. I was almost at the point of purchasing the LX100 but I do agree that something with the IBIS will greatly enhance the experience.

I rather fancy the G80/85 over the GX80/85 but of course, there appears NOT to be a housing available yet!

Again, many thanks for much needed advice.

Spud

Edited by spudgun

Ikelite will have a G85 housing soon as it is so similar to the G7

post-50926-0-20390500-1478755106_thumb.png

I forgot to add.

Even though the GX80 and G8 Cameras have better base image quality than my GH4.

I will be waiting for the GH5 due to the HDMI output. Recording externally for me sees a massive different in how the files react while editing.

Edited by thetrickster

Ikelite will have a G85 housing soon as it is so similar to the G7

Many thanks for this, buddy. I did SEE that Ikelite were working on something but who knows how long! I may have to opt for the GX80/85, which already has a housing available. Unless they bring out the housing the G80/85 before next summer! I plan to dive the Red Sea again in August and don't want to buy the latter camera and get left stranded!!

Edited by spudgun

Ikelite tend to bring out their housings quite quickly.

Edited by Griff

Ikelite tend to bring out their housings quite quickly.

Thanks Griff. Yes, they told me there should be some news perhaps this week. The housing for the G7 is pretty damn cheap so I'm hoping that the new G80/85 will fit in it as I'm sure the price will escalate if they end up making a new, dedicated model!

I forgot to add.

Even though the GX80 and G8 Cameras have better base image quality than my GH4.

I will be waiting for the GH5 due to the HDMI output. Recording externally for me sees a massive different in how the files react while editing.

Please elaborate?

How about the EM1 Mk II?

Hi, thanks for the input.

Beautiful camera, I'm sure, but it's over THREE times the price of the G80. Pretty certain it's not three times the camera, alas!

Do you want a good camera or a cheap camera?

Does anyone know if the GX85 accurately white balances at depth or if it requires a red filter to do so?

Following on from this.. Does any one have any experience with the Auditech mangrove housing for the ax 100 ? Im looking at getting something along the lines of the ax100 but unsure on what housing would be best for manual functions?

Cheers

Tony

If you‘re going for the AX100, I‘d take the Gates housing. Good ontrol over all the key functions. There may be some used options around. Back in the day I looked at other options like Sealux and Mangrove, but I think the Gates is still the best around.

Sponsors

Advertisements