popadiys

DIY tray and handles for under €10

Hi,

I am new to this hobby and some of the prices just seem like an extortion to me. Since I don't know how much I want to invest in the future and soon I will be able to test my diving photography in Palau, I wanted to use some cheap solution for tray and handles. On the market the cheapest trays cost more than a €100 and moreover I have to order them through Internet. Thus I decided to make my own, which costed me less than 10 euros.

All the solutions I found in internet use PVC pipes, which are bulky and since I am flying I will not have so much space in my suitcase.

My camera, dome and case weight approximately 3 kilograms.

I bought 1 meter galvanized aluminium stick, with 25mmх2mm ( width, thickness) - from the nearby hardware store it costs around €1.50. I bought 0.5 meter pipe for handles - €2.

post-53988-0-14208800-1477222869_thumb.jpg

Then I drilled two holes with 6.5mm drill, very slightly bigger than the tripod hole.

post-53988-0-43006300-1477222923_thumb.jpg

Then I cut the extra lenght of the aluminium rod and curved it.

post-53988-0-91337200-1477223011_thumb.jpg

I put the pipe over it, it strengthens the grip

post-53988-0-32799800-1477223142_thumb.jpg

And I finally filled the pipe with polyurethane foam for the pipe not to slip, as well for the better buoyancy, because of the trapped air inside.

The end solution is the following:

post-53988-0-27188400-1477223239_thumb.jpg

post-53988-0-16445300-1477223246_thumb.jpg

I hope that helps to the people who don't want to spend thousands of euros in gear.

thanks! great idea - it seems anything with "dive" or "underwater" in its name, instantly attracts silly price tags :D

• Like 1

thanks! great idea - it seems anything with "dive" or "underwater" in its name, instantly attracts silly price tags :D

exactly. My next project is to create the Olympus zoom gear

Edited by popadiys

Good job!

As ideia for next developmet/improvment, you should consider to add supports for strobes. But keep in mind that all the "system" needs to be stiff, as the strobes and long arms will transmit a lot of vibration when there are current or swiming.

exactly. My next project is to create the Olympus zoom gear

check thingiverse and some other 3d printing websites...i've seen some things around. There was also a few topics around wetpixel about it.

Or you can order from here http://www.deepshots.co.uk/. These are around £50 mark so way below original Nauticam :)

• Like 1

Good job!

As ideia for next developmet/improvment, you should consider to add supports for strobes. But keep in mind that all the "system" needs to be stiff, as the strobes and long arms will transmit a lot of vibration when there are current or swiming.

I don't think the current design can sustain the additional weight for the strobes. It is more like feel of the underwater photography and checking if I should invest so much in it.

I kind of did the same. I wanted a beach strap attachment point, focus light attachment point and a decent handle so I bent some band aluminium and attached it to the top of my existing tray. Work out well and only $7.

popadiys, you might want to make a box instead of a U shape and connect the ends of the box. It will be much more sturdy and my aluminium is very flexible and would wobble underwater. The box also adds the attachment points I was looking for in mine.

post-18127-0-59312100-1477530328_thumb.jpg

Edited by marcw
  • Like 1

Cool, simple yet very effect!

Sponsors

Advertisements