Sign in to follow this  
nihrzenjak

DIY Ball clamps for underwater photo/video light arms system

Hi nihrzenjak

Isn't everything for u/w photography too expensive?!

But I would say a word in defence of arm systems: you only need buy them once - so buy well! I've had mine (ULCS) for more than 16 years and they are still just perfect. If there is one bit of my equipment which has been worth the money, it's the arms. No, they were not cheap, but man, they are utterly reliable, keep a reasonable amount of their value and move, easily from system to system, housing to housing.

There are not many bits of u/w gear you can say that about.

So, sure, look for cheaper. But do beware. What's that saying: buy cheap, buy twice?

Yep, TimG is spot-on,

just bought twice (actually, it was the 3th time). when I started i had a 1,25 inch ikelite ball system that was very heavy (with an older strobe i also had their pipe system). Then i changed to a cheap (even not so cheap) version of the 1 inch ball arms. These were from i-das. the clamps are so sharp, that the paint / anodisation on the ball heads has stripped clear. Also the orings on the balls dont last very long. I now changed to ulcs (but with original oring-less strobe connections and a cheaper ball on the strobe from onderwaterhuis.nl. Havent got that new arm system wet, but i'm sure it is better.

Yep, TimG is spot-on,

just bought twice (actually, it was the 3th time). when I started i had a 1,25 inch ikelite ball system that was very heavy (with an older strobe i also had their pipe system). Then i changed to a cheap (even not so cheap) version of the 1 inch ball arms. These were from i-das. the clamps are so sharp, that the paint / anodisation on the ball heads has stripped clear. Also the orings on the balls dont last very long. I now changed to ulcs (but with original oring-less strobe connections and a cheaper ball on the strobe from onderwaterhuis.nl. Havent got that new arm system wet, but i'm sure it is better.

May the new ULCS system last you very many happy dives, Gerard!

thanks Tim,

i remember you offering the 3inch stick arm. I had a holiday in the states and i picked up the remainder there. its not that the old ones didnt work, but ive become a bit frustrated with the "grinding". I bought an extra long clamp for my focus light as well, so the mission is now complete...

are you diving in the Netherlands as well ?

Gerard

The US is sure a better place to buy them! Well done you.

The "mission is now complete"? Really??? How we kid ourselves, eh? Every time I come back from a drive trip I think, yep, got all I need.... then I see something on some forum or in UWPMag and think, woah, hang on a mo.....

Gotta tell you, Gerard, it's a disease we have. :crazy: Must be residual compressed air in the brain. Aquireitus continuosis, I believe it's called. Or as my (Dutch) partner insists, Barking Mad.

Not dived in NL so far. I keep looking at my dry suit, drive past Vinkeveen - see the rain coming down - and think, naaah..... But I have been 3-4 times to Bonaire. That does count as NL now, right?

Its a special gemeente (council), so yes.... and now, you're right on the mission.

A nice joke on this is the underwater photographer who says on his deathbed 'dont sell all my uw gear for the price i told you it costs'

Vinkeveen is allright as a freshwater dive, but Zeeland is really nice, and it is not always raining here like in Manchester (my wife is british and lived there). If you ever feel the need (maybe when its warmer again), give me a PM....

Edited by Cerianthus
  • Like 1

Its a special gemeente (council), so yes.... and now, you're right on the mission.

A nice joke on this is the underwater photographer who says on his deathbed 'dont sell all my uw gear for the price i told you it costs'

Vinkeveen is allright as a freshwater dive, but Zeeland is really nice, and it is not always raining here like in Manchester (my wife is british and lived there). If you ever feel the need (maybe when its warmer again), give me a PM....

Ahhh yes, the actual price of u/w gear against the, errr, stated price. I think we have all been there... :lol2:

I'll take a look at Zeeland - thanks for the tip. And yep, will give you a PM

It rains in Manchester? Really??? We like to see them more as Clearing-Up Showers. Still, you clearly have excellent taste in women. I just hope she's not a United supporter but that's unlikely if she's actually from Manchester :crazy:

United,

Newcastle united

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Newcastle? Well that's different for sure..... can't imagine she's too chipper these days though.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements