markw

OMD-EM5 won't always turn on

Hi,

I'm half way through a trip to Raja Ampat and my EM5 is playing up. Yesterday, the on switch didn't work all the time and the problem has got worse today - not turning on at all.

Is this a known issue - are there any fixes that I can try?

It has not been wet or knocked.

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

Edited by markw

I have had this issue come up from time to time with my E-M5 as well. I suspect the switch could be failing. For some reason, removing and replacing the battery and SD card seems to help reset. It might be complete voodoo but that's all I've got. It also won't help if the camera's in the housing and you're 20 m below!

• Like 1

Thanks troporobro, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me. I will see what happens tomorrow after it has had a rest...

I had the same problem with my EM5 the last day of a 6 day live aboard trip in Channel Islands.

Try cleaning the battery contacts on both the battery and inside camera.

Regardless of how 'dry' I though my hands were during battery swaps some moisture caused minor corrosion / film to build up and interfere with the connection.

One of my buddies used diluted vinegar on q-tips and scrubbed the contacts clean, dried them and it has worked fine for past year.

Good luck

Adam Taylor

I had a similar problem and ended up solving it by putting a thin piece of card at the end of the battery. When you shut the door to the battery housing it then pushes the battery on to the contacts a little more. Worked for me ever since with no more problems.

• Like 1

Thanks Adam & Bear,

I found that applying pressure to the battery allowed the camera to turn on, so I also went the route of a thin piece of card between the battery and door. All has been well with the world today, thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Mark

Since arriving home I have cleaned the contacts and the additional packing is not needed. Hope this information helps someone else.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were most appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsors

Advertisements