Sign in to follow this  
audsred

help with pelican case sizing

I would appreciate advice on about what size of a pelican case I need for a Nauticam housing, Olympus em1, 2 z-240 strobes, arms, clamps, focus light, couple of lenses, big dome, and macro port.

Thank you,

Audrey

Hey Audrey

Picking the right size of case can be a surprisingly personal thing! Everyone has their own idea on how to layout the various bits and pieces - and then do you use a foam insert (cheaper but less adaptable) or a dividers (more expensive but reconfigurable)?

You could use a large sheet of paper, lay out your gear on it in the way you would like to store it, draw around the outline - then measure the length, width and height of the outline. The Pelican.com website then has various tools for helping you design the foam (if you go that route) and chose the right case based on the dimensions you have identified.

https://www.pelicanfoam.com/project_central/new

https://www.pelicanfoam.com/project/583bd4776b78315a37135c53

Couple of additional thoughts: as I say, you need to chose between a foam layout and movable dividers. I'd suggest movable dividers. The foam is good but, my experience anyway, I'm always changing the layout based on mood and the amount of gear I'm moving. The dividers can be changed easily; the foam obviously cannot. Although you can buy a new piece of foam and start again.

And then wheels. Do you want a case with wheels or not? The gear you are carrying will likely weigh around 15-17kgs in the Pelican case so you might want to have a case that is easier to move, i.e. wheels. This then highlights obvious choices from the Pelican range.

And then, finally (phew!), do you want to be able to keep all your gear with you if you are flying -, i.e. cabin rather than hold load. If that is the case, I'd suggest the 1510 Pelican wheely case is about as large as you can get into a aircraft cabin and keep with you. I use that (with dividers) containing a Subal D800 housing, 2x Inon Z240s, fibre optic cables, a flat port, the arms, clamps etc and a few bits and bobs. The Domeport will NOT fit inside. I hold load that.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/medium-case/carry-on-case/1510/

One other thing I have found useful is the Pelican lid organiser. This is a mesh fitting with multiple pockets which you fit into the lid and provides all sorts of useful storage spaces.

Hours of endless fun in this project! :crazy:

You may want to checkout this new Pelican hard case which is 40% lighter than past cases and suitable as a carry-on bag.

post-2618-0-32205000-1480361468_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-79828000-1480361483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Phil

Thanks for posting this. Interesting. I'd heard the Air's saved weight but didn't really it was quite this much. And, heaven knows, every kilo saved is nice!

But...... just found this comparison between the 1510 and 1535. Worth a watch for anyone thinking about either:

Flags up certain differences.

Or you might want to consider camera backpacks perhaps...much lighter, and what's actually helpful, softer, so one can squeeze them easily in the hand luggage hold. Might not be possible with the hard case, especially with nowadays shrinking hand luggage allowance. Also backpack looks less conspicuous, even if you have it loaded with 30 kg :D

I was as well considering Pelican cases, but ended with this one instead:

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/pro-light-camera-backpack-bumblebee-220-pl

Fits all my bits (well almost). housing, two dome ports, macro port, 2x Z240s, 3 lights and number of other bits and bobs like diffusers, manuals, batteries, dive computers and a couple of lenses. Only things that are travelling outside, as i do not want to squash the stuff too much are camera plus some other lenses in a small camera bag, and arms/clamps/tray...these are a bit big and heavy hence go to the main luggage. That said, when i had less equipment, they used to travel in the backpack too :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements