Sign in to follow this  
BradMM

Is it safe?

I guess it's no different than ebay but I don't use online sites to sell or buy stuff from individuals. I'd rather see what it is I'm buying and know I can return to the vendor if there's a problem. However, I have seen posts for gear that I'd like to buy for a lot less. Is that the trade off? Risk vs reward?

Hi Brad

I can understand your concerns for sure and of course you have to be careful - but my experience at buying and selling through Wetpixel has been excellent. No problem at all so far.

It's always worth checking out how long someone has been a member and how many posts they have made. The longer the better. I'm a bit wary of someone very new and who doesn't seem to have a good feel for u/w gear and how to use it.

But as I say, my experience has been all good.

I bought through here (camera set up for about £500) but arranged to meet the seller at a coffee shop at a motorway service station halfway between us. It was a busy public place, I got to see the gear before handing over cash; he was a nice guy and talked me through the setup and quirks. Couldn't have been happier.

Hi, Brad,

Save one, I've had very pleasant, fair experiences. Fortunately the exception wasn't a huge loss. Sent me the wrong zoom ring (my fault for not checking as soon as I got it) & two triggerfish slave eyes (both dead: it's a permanent battery). Again I didn't test immediately & it didn't occur to me to confirm old or new model. Perhaps if I'd done my due diligence he would've been responsive. Also research the pay pal protections, they are reassuring.

Finally, I operate on the sense that we're part of a community that has a commonality of love & respect for the water that hopefully extends to our co enthusiasts. It's a presumption I'm willing to go on. That should distinguish us from used car salesman…;)

Happy shopping!

JOe

Is it safe? Maybe not 100%. But where I live, it's either buy on line, wait for a trip out of the country, or do without. I've had only good experiences buying from Wetpixellers, and all of my transactions have involved international shipping. You can filter opportunities by judging the evidence about the seller and communicating thoroughly. So I'll keep dong it.

I've bought stuff from here, via eBay or directly. Never had a bad experience. There is a also a thread with feedback on buyers and sellers. That lists the odd bad experience. For larger stuff, PayPal gives a bit insurance. My first digital housing I got second hand and used an escrow service.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I've bought plenty of gear here as well as through other scuba boards and I can say I've always had really positive experiences. Of course there is always some risk, biggest thing is to listen to that voice if something doesn't feel right and don't go through with the deal.

There is always a risk, but so is Ebay.

I've now made 2 high-ticket purchases from members here, even though I do not post much and have only been a member for a little over a year. Research what you want and what is being sold to ensure they are the same thing, and I personally only deal through paypal for their buyer protection.

Check word of mouth from other members about sellers. You should be able to tell pretty early if you ask questions and they don't answer them, when in doubt ask for a specific picture of the item to ensure it is actually in their possession (i.e. with a current paper or handwritten note with date). Ask them as many questions as you need to make yourself feel more at ease.

Only do what you feel comfortable with, but people on this site for the most part a very nice and easy to deal with.

Never had a problem with Wetpixel and almost none on eBay (due to escrow system)

Just got totally burned trying to buy off of a guy on Craigslist in Glasgow Scotland to the tune of 1300 Pounds Sterling. Listing for Nikonos gear is still active:(

Now in the hands of RCMP, Scottish Police and Thames Police.

Not holding out much hope, but I hope they take this guy down. I thought I had done due diligence with photos, email etc.

Live and learn I guess.

ian

Edited by ianmarsh

I've had nothing but positive experiences when purchasing - and I've even had a couple of users send me 3D print designs at zero cost.

I have done numerous buy/sell transactions through wetpixel, mostly >$3000 and all experiences have been excellent. People have been kind, courteous and deliver on payment/proper gear condition. I still always use PayPal for buyer/seller protection though

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements