Sign in to follow this  
Big_Bald_Biker

Upgrade advice

Hi all

I am currently running a compact camera system

RX100iii based with ikelite housing and two Sea&Sea YS03 strobes. I also have a wide angle wet lens.

I am struggling with the setup in particular getting the exposure correct. The strobes are auto only and connected via fiber optic.

My questions are, is the setup sound and if so any advice on setting it up better or have I mismatched somehow. Also considering if an upgrade makes sense and if so where to invest first. I am thinking mirrorless and housing but then are the strobes up to it?

Very confident/competent photographer above the water but I guess I don't use strobes that much

Thanks in advance for your advice

BBB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well I would suggest you replace the strobes first, and try shooting manual...RX100 is an excellent camera.with awesome low light capabilities. Have m4/3 myself (GH2) but my gf shoots RX100III and she often gets better pictures than i do.. (or it might be that i am crap :D )..Perhaps try this first, unless you have a wad of cash that you really need to get rid off...as new strobes+camera+housing+ports+lenses setup will be tad on the expensive side...like everything underwater :s

And if after strobe upgrade you still want something bigger, then you keep the strobes and just get camera/housing etc.

Another thing to consider - not sure how do you feel about Ike housing but (again, based on my gf experience), she has replaced it with Nauticam after the first dive trip...apparently better ergonomics (buttons spacing etc mainly)

Also, are you shooting RAW? Did you try to correct the exposure in Lightroom ? (silly question, i know ;) )

In addition, perhaps even before you upgrade anything, read a bit more - can recommend Alex's "Underwater Photography Masterclass" book. (http://underwaterphotographybook.com/). Really handy and full of all kind of tips not just for DSLRs but for m4/3 and compacts as well.

Cheers,

m

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements