Sign in to follow this  
Msorougi

UW Model Photo: Fisheye or Rectilinear WA Lens?

I have an opportunity to shoot a model on a wreck, and was undecided on the right lens to use:

A) Sigma 15mm Fisheye: I already own it, it has worked great for me on wreck/reef shoots, but I am worried about how it will distort the model's figure.

B) A rectilinear WA: in theory would solve the distortion issue, but it means I have to invest in a new lens, and I am not sure which focal length, and to be honest, I just don't know.

So any ideas? Any one with experience they can share of what to do (or not to do)?

Thank you all!!

Of note, this will be on a Canon 6D (full frame) in an Ikelite Housing with 8 inche dome and 2 DS160 strobes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!

I use the Sigma 15mm FE almost all the time with models on wrecks and reefs - rather than, say, a 16-35 rectilinear (which I have).

Provided the model isn't too close - i.e. almost on top of the lens - there is no problem with distortion. Plus the angle of view of the lens allows you to get a lot of the wreck into the image (if that is what you want), In addition it reduces the distance between the lens and subject thus helping reduce backscatter.

Just watch out for straight lines as those might make any distortion easier to detect - although straight lines underwater are pretty rare except on wrecks of course!

I've found the Sigma 15mm really good on the Nikon D800. I get really sharp eyes on the model and very good edge-to-edge sharpness.

Here's a couple of examples using the Sigma 15mm FE:

post-2756-0-83592700-1480972274_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-29622800-1480972287_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-46464700-1480972301_thumb.jpg

These are the Nikkor 16-35mm:

post-2756-0-88968600-1481004680_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-41877400-1481004694_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-49222900-1481004706_thumb.jpg

These are the Nikkor 16-35mm:

Hi Tim, thanks for the advice and pictures! I am undecided how I would be framing the model, but more likely she will be closer than farther.

I guess this would be my deciding factor. If it were up to me I would do two dives, one for each lens. Not sure how the wife would see a new lens on our bank statement be like though

Not sure how the wife would see a new lens on our bank statement be like though

Always trying to help....

I thought these may be useful too in thinking this through.....

Option A: "It's an investment, honey".

Option B: "This lens will make you look even more stunning, honey"

Option C: "Man, you would not believe the deal I got on this! I would have been crazy to pass up on it".

Option D: "New lens? Really???? Hmmm, no, that must be the one I got [x] months ago".

Option E: "New lens? No, that'll be a typo. I can't tell you what it is what with Xmas coming AND your birthday, honey".

Option F: "Yes, I have bought a new lens. And your point is?"

Option F is, of course, the high risk strategy....

Good luck with it Msorougi. If you do decide that rectilinear might be the way to go, do check out the dome issue as they can be tricky to house successfully (or maybe I should say at a reasonable price!) with good edge-to-edge sharpness.

Option A: "It's an investment, honey".

Option B: "This lens will make you look even more stunning, honey"

Option C: "Man, you would not believe the deal I got on this! I would have been crazy to pass up on it".

Option D: "New lens? Really???? Hmmm, no, that must be the one I got [x] months ago".

Option E: "New lens? No, that'll be a typo. I can't tell you what it is what with Xmas coming AND your birthday, honey".

Option F: "Yes, I have bought a new lens. And your point is?"

Option F is, of course, the high risk strategy....

Option G: "Yes, dear... Uh, did I remember to tell you that I think you'd look fabulous in those shoes you told me you wanted? Why don't you go an buy them, I'd really like to see you in them"

• Like 1

Option G: "Yes, dear... Uh, did I remember to tell you that I think you'd look fabulous in those shoes you told me you wanted? Why don't you go an buy them, I'd really like to see you in them"

The force is strong with this one

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements