T.Reid

5-Axis Stabilization Questions ?

Hello everyone,

Just a question for anyone that has any new line of mirrorless camera that has in body stabilization on the sensor.... I am currently using my partners Sony a7 and I have had a Olympus OMD-EM mk ii in the past but recently sold it looking to also buy my self a Sony.

I'm quite familiar with how smooth the axis stabilization was on land with the EM5 but never had the chance to shoot with it under water. From my understanding the stabilization will help a lot in underwater photography allowing the user to gain a few extra stops but my main question is how well does this system work making smooth nice video footage when shooting video underwater ? Has anyone noticed much difference whilst shooting video if they have it in body or not ?

My main reason is that I'm shooting video underwater most days for work as a videographer for our customers on the day boat and am trying to decide if I should bother purchasing a Sony a7 mk2 to get the in body stabilization or not.....

It's quite a price hike up, and then a new housing would need to be purchased so does anyone see it as a worth while upgrade if primarily shooting video, I'd love to be able to purchase a a7s but it's out of my budget.

Reason I'm asking this is Sony's cash back at the moment makes the base model a7 able to be purchased new for $860 AUD which is dirt cheap, I also wouldn't need to fork out another $2k for a housing for the mk 2 upgrade and I was considering then purchasing a gimbal for shooting smooth footage on land.

Thanks for anyones opinions or feedback !

Cheers,

Trent

My passion is photography, but I'm a dive instructor doing videography for work.... Keeps me in front of the lens even whilst at work !

Currently got a ikelite housing which I brought for my partners a7 but trying to make my mind up to either get another a7 for my self and that saves me having to fork out for another complete housing or getting a mk2 a7 for the IBIS or buying a gimbal for the a7 when shooting on land....

It's looking like the gimbal out powers any lens or IBIS there is to offer at the moment so I'm leaning towards buying another a7 which are on sale at the moment and I'm good to go, just wanted someone else's opinion who's maybe used IBIS filming underwater :)

Thanks for the reply though have considered GH camera's but again its 4/3 format which I hated with my olympus omd I owned...

Edited by T.Reid

I have the a7II and although I never turned the image stabilization off, I don't really see it helping much underwater. It is designed to reduce higher frequency vibration, which is greatly reduced if not eliminated by the water itself.

Looking at my videos, the unwanted movements are those from my own instability and of much wider range than any IS could compensate for. It's not the camera shake you get topside.

I have the a7II and although I never turned the image stabilization off, I don't really see it helping much underwater. It is designed to reduce higher frequency vibration, which is greatly reduced if not eliminated by the water itself.

Looking at my videos, the unwanted movements are those from my own instability and of much wider range than any IS could compensate for. It's not the camera shake you get topside.

Thanks for that reply, this is what I'm kinda tending to think also... I think the option I'm going to choose is another a7 with a 3 axis gimbal to compensate for top side shooting which I believe will make for much smoother footage then IBIS and then just do my best with my movements underwater :)

The sensor stabilization in the A7RII definitely does help, though it's nowhere near as effective as the tech in the Olmpus line of cameras. However, you notice the diffrence filming with a supported lens vs an adapted lens like the Canon 8-15mm. Here is a video shot with the A7RII, 16-35F4. Granted, the camera was attached to a scooter which provides a lot of extra mass to dampen movement, and I did apply some stabilization in post. But, overall, I'm quite happy with the results.

It'll be interesting to see if the GH5 can implement in-body stabilization that's as good as the Olympus cameras. That, combined with 4k60p and 10bit in camera would be very compelling features.

Wish I had the budget for a A7RII but unfortunately don't considering how much a new housing would be as I've currently got a a7 & housing.... I was looking at the option of maybe being able to afford a a7II though was mainly concerned about the IBIS and if it does that much being in water...

Sponsors

Advertisements