rwe

Mares fin bungee breakage

I purchased a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins with the bungee straps about 2 years ago. Love the fins! They have about 60 dives on them and have been rinsed with fresh water and stored indoors between dive trips. A few weeks ago when I was putting on the fins for a dive off West Palm Beach, FL one of the bungees broke. There are no cracks or other obvious degradation of the rubber except for the break. The bungee broke at the location where it goes through one of the heel loop holes. Mares website help directed me to discuss with my local Mares dealer which is about 80 miles away and closed out my comment. Pretty useless. Have others had this bungee break problem or did I just get a defective bungee? Thanks,

Sometimes stuff breaks. Get a bit of bungee for a few $$ and repair it... I dont really see the problem...For unbreakable, move to spring straps....

• Like 1

I like the bungees, but as they're made of rubber they're going to degrade rapidly especially with exposure to UV. I think it's more a case of time rather than the number of times dived with them...

I think the motto is carry spares but also - spring straps will last longer if you still find them comfortable.

I also liked the bungees because there was no excess rubber flaps and they were easier to get on and off.

I did have a spare with me. It was the more typical adjustable strap, was from my previous fins which were also Mares, was over 10 years old, and it was still in good shape which made me think the bungee rubber was defective. But it is obviously a different rubber and may well degrade faster. Back in the '70s when I still spearfished, I did make new speargun rubbers periodically but I never had one break in service although they would get surface cracks/degradation over time and I would replace them. The fin bungee had no surface cracks or obvious degradation so I didn't think it had started to degrade.

Anyway I am planning on buying new straps and repairing the bungee strap as one of several spares. Triggerfish, you made the comment with respect to spring straps "if you still find them comfortable". Wondered what you were referring to. Are some spring straps 'uncomfortable'?

I had bad experiences with adjustable strap, I kept snapping the buckles from tightening them too much, move to bungees has made everything so much better, good choice.

With regards to spring straps - it depends on your boots and fins. Spring straps typically have a higher resistance than the bungees and so put a bit more force on the back of the foot. I tried a pair of spring straps in some thin boots and they were hard work on my heel/achilles. In thicker boots with proper protection (which 95% of people have) I think they're fine.

You can also get spring straps with various rubber mouldings on them to spread the pressure out. Springs are great. Tying a bit of bungee cord from the hardware store across the back of the fin also works in a pinch. Or you can repurpose the bungee that comes with most sidemount harnesses these days.

Must just have been a bad cord. I have had these fins with bungee straps for 3-4 years now (fins are older, I replaced the original locking straps with these), they've been in the water for hundreds of hours diving/snorkeling and I don't rinse them after dives - only when it's time to put them away after the end of the season. Got the same set of fins for my son last year - no problems.

I do keep the old locking straps as spares.

I have two sets of avantiquattro plus and just over time stretching the bungee seems to degrade it rapidly on the amount you use them.

Nearly 1000 dives this past year and I went through 2 sets. Just as everyone has said carry spares or just invest in the springs. Much easier and more convenient.

Sponsors

Advertisements