steve c r

bali advice

Hi all looking to go to bali [tulemben] in jan/feb 17. is it divable at that time of year? I know its the rainy season but i am restricted on dates, so stuck really anyhow any advice or expierences of that time of year are most welcome.

Hi Steve

I've been a couple of times in March which is also rainy season - although maybe on the edge of it.

It was perfectly diveable and, yes, it did rain occasionally but this was really no big deal. There were times too when it was overcast but this didn't create any problems for diving or photography.

I dived Tulamben and surrounds over Xmas/New Years two years ago and it was ok. The vis is not as good in the shallows as the rain washes a lot more sediment into the water around the reefs accessed as shore dives. The vis was good below 40m but it was dark - partly clouds, partly poor vis up top.

There's a couple of photos here to give you an idea. The second one was taken at about 25m from memory.

http://lizrogersphotography.com/2015/01/mod2-course-taking-the-revo-to-60m/

The general rule is the viz isn’t as good as the fall/winter months (it is the Southern hemisphere), but I’ve had some good days during Jan/Feb too. As mentioned, the sediment and the upwellings create some bad viz. However, that doesn’t stop you from doing macro around tulamben, and the night dives at the wreck too. you’ll be fine. Just check with the dive ops just when you arrive so you have a choice. If the viz is bad at the wreck, think of doing the macro trifecta of Tulamben and the north coast sites like PJ/Pemuteran and secret bay. If you must do wide angle, check on Menjangan area. Search the archives for Bali tips as well. Good luck.

I have had no problem that time of year and wouldn't hesitate.

look on the bright side it will be a great improvement on here! :pardon:

I have had no problem that time of year and wouldn't hesitate.

look on the bright side it will be a great improvement on here! :pardon:

Well said!

Sponsors

Advertisements