EspenB

Nauticam dealers now list part 17713 for NA-GH5

Wow. That's impressive. Camera is launching beginning of March. I think there is a announcement beginning of Jan and will be available to preorder.

Perhaps Nauticam think it's gonna be a big camera and so is gonna get on the preorder bandwagon too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Details on the GH5 should emerge next week at the Panasonic press conference at the CES show in Vegas.

Yes it is impressive. Maybe it means Panasonic and Nauticam have a good relationship which might be very good news indeed for divers.

The GH5 housing should be out in late march or april.

Yes it is impressive. Maybe it means Panasonic and Nauticam have a good relationship which might be very good news indeed for divers.

In genererall the housing manufacturers need to purchase the camera bodies in question.

GH5 ships on wedensday, march 22.

So where is the housing Nauticam? ;-)

By flash do you mean strobes?

Yeah. Sorry for bad english.

I am curious. The GH5 is a very video-centric camera that uses the same lenses as the E-M1 mkii, which is more aimed at photography than video. I assumed most people waiting to house the GH5 were doing so for the video features, but the talk of strobes makes me think at least some of you are looking forward to it as a stills camera. If that is right, why the GH5?

Pehaps some people like me want to shoot both photos and video?

Personally I holding off upgrading my EM5 mk1 until I see reviews of both EM1 mkii and GH5

While I currently shoot 80-90% stills video is becoming of more interest for the Marine Comservation projects I volunteer with.

The still photo to video ratio would likely become more balanced, but I find the video capabilities of the EM5 somewhat lacking. Then again that may be due a combination of the user and the often murky environment of my local waters.

It would appear that the EM1 mkii is the better choice for stills, but initial reviews indicate the GH5 is a capable stills camera.

How this translates to underwater imaging, and the use of strobes remains to be seen.

Regardless, until I read otherwise I will assume that with technological advances the GH5 would be a more capable stills camera than my current EM 5 mk1

So, if the real-world underwater reviews show the GH5 as greatly superior for video, and holding its own for photos then I will likely change from Olympus to Panasonic.

All my current lenses and Nauticam Ports will work on either camera.

Then again, with people upgrading their rigs perhaps I will spot a good deal on a used Sony A7Sii and completely change direction based soley on it's superior low-light performance for conservation work on Glass Sponge Reefs in my deep, dark & murky local waters...

For now I have more questions than there are answers so will have to be patient.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I am not being judgmental or critical and I understand the desire to do both stills and video. Because I shoot stills, I chose the Olympus, but it is capable of 4k video if I want to use it. The Panasonic seems to offer a lot of advanced video features that would be of interest to folks really into video. I don't even understand all the ups and downs of bit rates, system frequencies and data rates. Since both the Pana and Oly cost about the same, have very similar sensors and use the same lenses, I am just curious why someone not seriously into video would go with the Panasonic, which is not even equipped to optically trigger strobes without an aftermarket device.

Certainly either camera would offer several improvements over an E-M5. Even though I have already upgraded to what I want and am not in the market at all for a GH5, it is often interesting to hear what goes into other people's decision-making. Reviews on the GH5 are starting to appear, but nothing on underwater stills use, yet.

Feeling no judgment or criticism from your comments. That is why I posted to see others thoughts and opinions.

I am not rushing this, if it turns out that firing strobes is an issue then the GH5 may be removed from consideration.

Waiting to see a few real world reviews. Ideally including low light performance, and autofocus in murky, plankton / sediment laden water....

Happy diving

I think the GH5 is really cool because it's a hybrid camera. The problem I am having at the moment is what I would use as a hybrid lens. I think that means a constant aperture, parfocal, WA zoom that will fit a Nauticam port. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Like 1

I shot with the GH5 a couple weeks ago (review http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/panasonic-lumix-gh5-camera-review) - and still image quality was superb. From the instagram pic it looks like there is an M43 flash trigger. Will be great if that's included - but I doubt it (for the video-centric reasons above).

I shot with the GH5 a couple weeks ago (review http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/panasonic-lumix-gh5-camera-review) - and still image quality was superb. From the instagram pic it looks like there is an M43 flash trigger. Will be great if that's included - but I doubt it (for the video-centric reasons above).

What do you make of the GH5 auto focus controversy taking place on youtube and elsewhere? I'm contemplating upgrading to the GH5 from a Sony CX550 video camera. I'm trying to make heads or tails about the auto focus issues.

I stopped using auto-focus :-)

There appears to be dozens of opinions on the autofocus. Hard to say if it is as bad as many say, or if there are setting changes that could improve things.

This is probably the only positive one I have watched so far

If anyone does get the GH5 housed and underwater I am very interested in how autofocus reacts in murky / silty water.

Thanks in advance

There appears to be dozens of opinions on the autofocus. Hard to say if it is as bad as many say, or if there are setting changes that could improve things.

This is probably the only positive one I have watched so far

If anyone does get the GH5 housed and underwater I am very interested in how autofocus reacts in murky / silty water.

Thanks in advance

Yeah, I watched that video previously. It performs better, but still kinda flakey. I have a GH5 and am deciding if I'm going to keep or return it. I have just the 60mm lens to test with. Moving from a dedicated video camera to mirrorless is a big change.

Yeah, I watched that video previously. It performs better, but still kinda flakey. I have a GH5 and am deciding if I'm going to keep or return it. I have just the 60mm lens to test with. Moving from a dedicated video camera to mirrorless is a big change.

Stephen, if you do keep it and get the GH5 underwater in the Northwest please post comments.

My EM5 struggles with focus at times, especially with the 60mm in waters near Vancouver. Be interested to see how the GH5 compares.

There is alot of fresh water mixing near the surface at many of my regular sites. So I imagine any camera will struggle focusing through changing water densities...

It is a big financial commitment to purchase a GH5 and housing, even if my current lenses and ports are compatable. Seeing some real world results and reviews will be required before I make my decision.

Thanks

Adam

• Like 1

The 60mm is a different beast entirely when it comes to autofocus. I find it better to back button focus and tweak with manual focus knob as needed.

Sponsors

Advertisements