EspenB

Nauticam dealers now list part 17713 for NA-GH5

The 60mm is a different beast entirely when it comes to autofocus. I find it better to back button focus and tweak with manual focus knob as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree it is a different beast. The Oly 60mm is a great lens which can produce crisp results but it can be challenging.

When conditions are less than ideal, or when a small subject is close enough to other things to confuse auto focus my preferred still photo solution is as follows;

1) Pick an easy nearby target in same approximate focal plane.

2) Use a pre-set function button to first switch to Manual Focus

3) Use the other function button to magnify the target in the viewfinder. I find the Nauticam dials very useful to 'walk' the magnified area into the right location.

At that point I use the focus knob or rock the camera to fine tune focus on the details I want.

Now for video??? That is the question of the day.

Mind you, I think I read somewhere that the GH5 provides the option to zoom in on specific areas of the screen while recording? Anyone know if this is possible?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

There appears to be dozens of opinions on the autofocus. Hard to say if it is as bad as many say, or if there are setting changes that could improve things.

This is probably the only positive one I have watched so far

This test was with an external recorder only. And thus totally flawed.

When you use internal recording almost all procesing power is taken from the auto focus calculations and used to encode the bitstream it seems.

So you are saying the the GH5 does not have enough HP to handle its recording functions AND auto focus without using an external recorder?

Edited by ScubaBob

So you are saying the the GH5 does not have enough HP to handle its recording functions AND auto focus without using an external recorder?

This should not come as a big surprise as auto focus is worse in 4K mode vs HD mode also on the GH4.

Apparently the auto focus works even better if you don't record at all.

Please see page 166 in the "Operating Instructions for Advanced Features" for the GH5:

"To ensure highly accurate focus, 4K motion pictures are recorded at reduced auto focus speeds. It might be difficult to focus on the subject with Auto Focus, but this is not an malfunction."

Sine auto focus seems to be substantially better as long as you don't record anything, this suggest that the CPU runs out of steam during actuall recording. Even more so in 4K mode.

• Like 1

@EspenB that changes things...

Quite honestly I am curious to see how this issue impacts ones ability to shoot underwater. I don't use my camera as much on land.

May be a deal breaker but I will keep watching this page and others in hopes someone will get one underwater and provide comments / review.

I'll try to test this when I get my hands on the camera and housing. I have mostly moved away from auto focus, but have had some success with some of the GH4 tracking modes. It does become one more thing to keep track of when shooting in full manual mode, but when focus is messed up I know it's my fault for not setting it right, not the cameras fault for deciding to focus on some algae rather then the rhinophores I originally focused on.

I find auto-focus, using back button focus, is "good enough" to get close and then I can adjust as needed (using manual focus knob if available, or by moving camera). Nauticam's addition of the large back button focus control on the GH4 housing was genius - and I really wish they had it on the GX85 housing. I was happy to see that it's been retained on the NA-GH5 housing.

Auto focus becomes increasingly challenging as you 1) reduce your depth of field, 2) increase the resolution and 3) switch to larger sensor cameras (related to #1 above). Small sensor dedicated video cameras are better at autofocus and keeping your subject in the "sweet spot". With the 60mm macro lens wide open your depth of field is 1-3cm at best. Shooting with the 7-14mm you obviously have a little more breathing room - but cameras AF modes still seem to "zone out" on the blue water occasionally.

Thanks for letting me ramble..

Edited by ScubaBob
  • Like 1

Not for me to say, and I suppose I don't really care, but I wonder if a lot of the discussion about video techniques and video performance of the GH5 would better fit in the video forums than the mirrorless forum? Obviously the camera fits under both headings, but video people might have more interest and valuable input on video-specific features and performance. Or maybe not.

• Like 1

Perhaps further discussion on autofocus should move to Video section but as a mirrorless camera, and one I am considering for a mix if stills and video I want to see others opinions.

Most of the reviews about autofocus have been for use in Video Blogs, which isnt relevant to my underwater shooting. If it turns out there are no consistent ways to achieve focus for underwater macro and wide angle then the camera isnt at all appealing.

What do you make of the GH5 auto focus controversy taking place on youtube and elsewhere? I'm contemplating upgrading to the GH5 from a Sony CX550 video camera. I'm trying to make heads or tails about the auto focus issues.

I never use autofocus underwater for video, so for me it's not an issue.

I wonder how the flash solution will be.

My guess is that it will include an LED flash triggering system in the housing much like the D500 housing.

I am curious. The GH5 is a very video-centric camera that uses the same lenses as the E-M1 mkii, which is more aimed at photography than video. I assumed most people waiting to house the GH5 were doing so for the video features, but the talk of strobes makes me think at least some of you are looking forward to it as a stills camera. If that is right, why the GH5?

I do both, but not on the same dive and usually not on the same dive trip. I do mostly video, but I do like to take stills from time to time. The GH-4 was great for underwater stills and the GH-5 will be better. It has IBIS which will be great for some creative and ambient light shots. It has a bigger sensor (20 megapixel vs 16).

Feeling no judgment or criticism from your comments. That is why I posted to see others thoughts and opinions.

I am not rushing this, if it turns out that firing strobes is an issue then the GH5 may be removed from consideration.

Waiting to see a few real world reviews. Ideally including low light performance, and autofocus in murky, plankton / sediment laden water....

Happy diving

I pre-ordered my GH-5 housing several months ago. The first to pre-order in the USA. Hopefully it will be released soon and we can answer some of these questions. I'm guessing the housing will include an LED flash triggering system built-in much like the D500 housing.

The GH-5 auto focus is great. What many are discussing these days on the continuous auto focus issues. For video underwater I don't use continuous AF. On the GH-4 I set the initial focus (on my fin or something) via auto focus, but after that is set it doesn't change. I have back-focus button enabled so I can, if desired, change the focus before or during filming. I have the GH-5 and plan on setting it up the same way for underwater use.

People are referring to issues with AF when in fact they are referring to the continuous AF issues. AF works fine.

• Like 1

I shot with the GH5 a couple weeks ago (review http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/panasonic-lumix-gh5-camera-review) - and still image quality was superb. From the instagram pic it looks like there is an M43 flash trigger. Will be great if that's included - but I doubt it (for the video-centric reasons above).

Excellent review! My concern is the size: the GH5 might be too chunky for me.

Excerpt from the review: "The Panasonic GH5 sits taller and is much thicker than the E-M1 Mark II and A7R II, especially when you take into account the larger eyecup around the electronic viewfinder. It also weighs the most, coming in at 1.6lbs, compared to the E-M1 Mark II’s 1.27lbs and the A7R II’s 1.38lbs. "

The Nauticam housing for the Sony a7rii is huge, imo, for a mirrorless. The GH5 Nauticam housing is probably even bigger. The image quality of micro four thirds can't touch that of the a7rii, imo, so doesn't a bigger camera and housing defeat the main purpose -- i.e smaller and lighter -- of using MFT cameras for underwater photography?

If you do just photography, I would not necessarily go for a GH5, more likely a A7RII. The key strengths of the GH5 are its quite tasty video capabilities - nowhere near matched by any other reasonably compact cam at this moment. Some serious autofocus issues have now been acknowledged by Panasonic and remain to be fixed, but I definitely keep a close eye on it for video :-)

Edited by bubffm

The GH5 housing looks to be close to the same size as the GH4 housing, but Nauticam did switch to a 2 piece design vs 1pc how past M43 housings have been, which is probably due to camera size. GH5 housing size is likely more compact the A7SII housing due to port size. Here a picture of Chris Dimitrius with the GH5:

https://instagram.com/p/BS4juCkho0L/

I actually got into M43 due to video quality over camera size, however size was a consideration. 5 years ago when I made the switch from camcorders to M43 I was almost set on the 5DMkII but fell in love with the video of the GH2. I'm happy with my choice and although the GH line is getting a little heftier, it's still pretty compact.

Finally! Tripod legs mounts feature integrated the housing!

Those are the ones from Xit404

Sponsors

Advertisements