Interceptor121

Anybody shooting with the Panasonic GX80/85/GX7II?

I just got this camera no housing yet wanted to know if anyone has tried for either pictures or video?

I will be shooting video with this camera later during this year. Would be cool if you did a review tho!

I have the GX85 in the Nauticam housing. Only 2 dives with it so far, but love the camera so far (save for the short battery life). Here's a few pics taken with the camera (first time using strobes in 15 years, so not the best). I will be using the camera primarily for video.

ef7a0ad916006a32b0b971838e28780a.jpgd0d1cb6b39a695263a48f502f01f6bff.jpg5f604f13b95f33149312a17b9ca072bb.jpg4aaeaffdf6968c631d42338b7e12e7ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got the camera and the lenses ports from my GX7 mark I. Which lenses and ports are you planning to use bob?

The above shots are with the Oly 12-50mm in the Nauticam port with macro gear. I also use the Oly 60mm in the same port, and the LUMIX 7-14mm in the 6" dome port (with focus gear). These are the same lenses I have used with the GH2 and GH4.

Ok. None of those lenses leverage the dual IS. I am planning to use the 14-42mm with 35 macro port only for video

Yeah no dual IS, however IS on these lenses is a great upgrade.

I always use MWB for video. The results on the GX85 for MWB with video light and ambient light worked perfectly as it did with the GH4. With only 2 dives I was not able to push the limits (depth and low light) to see if there was an improvement over the GH4.

I have played with the stabiliser and it is really a big help for 4K.

The camera looks also interesting for tele work on land on other wildlife with the 45-150mm or the 100-400mm if you can spend that amount of money!

Agreed. I have the 45-150 but haven't tried it yet with the GX85. Would love to get my hands on the 100-400.

Does the 14-42 work with Dual IS? I believe the version I have (power zoom) does not work with Dual IS.

The 14-42 HFS newer version has dual IS and fits the 35 flat port. This is the lens am planning to use with wet lenses

• Like 1

the 14-42 lens is interesting with the the dual is. Was previously thinking of going for the 7-14mm and 60mm macro lenses but the 14-42 option along with inon wide angle and macro wet lenses would significantly drop the price of the rig and I'm now considering that instead.

I am however planning on getting the Ikelite housing. Any thoughts on the wet lens setup with the Ikelite housing, if so, which ones for macro/WA?

Cheers

Edited by Pajjpen

None of the 7-14mm or 60mm are stabilised. This is not so much of an issue at wide end but it is a problem for hand held close up work.

The panasonic leica 45mm is stabilised and has dual IS should you want to spend that amount of money

Yeah I know they aren't stabilized, that's why your option was interesting, and hence my question.. Which wet lenses would you recommend to go along with the 14-42mm lens?

I sent the camera back two days after receiving it as the retailer I bought it from did not participate in the panasonic cashback :-(

Based on my calculation at 4K the focal length using the 14-42mm is around 33.6mm using the ES stabilizer therefore any lens even old ones for 35mm compacts will work

With the kit lens instead the equivalent lens is short of 28mm so newer lenses are required Nauticam, Inon for 28mm all applicable

Some more pics from GX85. Hope to get some video out soon..

a4a8e04463bdf4f8b42f5dc3f90adff6.jpgc611bbd7f018424980e77d18b6d2205c.jpgc3bd062239a240875f053dbe792c5755.jpg331618a57bf6e1af99e49bed96ce9d81.jpg53188a6d7b4d6008ff267c4a5a6134d7.jpg

• Like 1

Video from the same dive.

Some more pics from GX85. Hope to get some video out soon..

a4a8e04463bdf4f8b42f5dc3f90adff6.jpgc611bbd7f018424980e77d18b6d2205c.jpgc3bd062239a240875f053dbe792c5755.jpg331618a57bf6e1af99e49bed96ce9d81.jpg53188a6d7b4d6008ff267c4a5a6134d7.jpg

Did you use natural light?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Did you use natural light?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

The pictures and video here were all shot using the iTorch Symbiosis SS-2 strobes. The pictures were shot using the SS-2 in manual flash mode, while the video was shot mostly at 1500-2000 lumens using the LED mode.

I TOO, am planning to use this camera, (GX80/85) purely for VIDEO in an IKELITE housing.

However, I have been labouring under the impression that Ikelite provided a suitable port for the 14-42mm PZ Panasonic lens. I wanted to use this lens as I was hoping to operate the zoom mechanism via the cameras up/down keypad function. It would appear, from my limited research, that this lens cannot be used with Ikelite housings, which I can't quite understand, given that it is just a small, pancake type lens. I'm not a great macro freak and I don't like the idea of trying to rig up 'zoom gears', so any thoughts on other zoom lenses that may be operated via the camera controls, that will work with the Dual IS?
Many thanks.

I have a Panasonic G7 and the Olympus 12-50 PZ and you can use the arrow keys to electronically zoom the lens, same as on the Olympus bodies. Ikelite have a dome for this lens and the lens is cheap New or second hand. You can also use it behind a flat port and put a diopter e.g. Nauticam CMC on it for near macro (0.8 life size). I used the 12-50 behind a flat port with my EM1 in Ningaloo and got a giant Manta and small nudi shots on the same dive. The CMC diopter really sharpens up the lens a lot too.

• Like 1

I tested this on the GX85 and it works fine on both the Panasonic PZ 14-42 lens and the Olympus 12-50 (but cannot trigger macro mode, nor will it work in macro mode). I can't remember if the GH4 worked the same (I thought I used the up/down arrows), but the custom memory option is "Zoom Control". I assigned it to my Fn1 button. Once assigned, pressing the Fn1 button will bring up the zoom range on the screen and allow you to zoom with the left and right arrows. After a few seconds without pressing either arrow the zoom control ends until you press the Fn1 button again.

f35df7f1988c901e62d39f1e404a9ccb.jpg

1da078d26783d66db8ef1f1e85488c8b.jpg

74eaae4d7e32c50e5f891fe93a98fc6f.jpg

Edited by ScubaBob

Bob. Very many thanks for this. Does the 12-50 Olympus lens work with the GX85 IBIS? I like Ikelite housings, especially so given they are a lot less expensive than Nauticam.

Thanks Griff. I am a seasoned videographer, and shooting video with these mirrorless or DSLR type cameras is all new to me. I'm not that conversant with diopters, and the 14-42 Panasonic PZ lens seemed the ideal option to me until I discovered there's no DOME port for it, although I would have thought a flat port would have worked. I can't understand why not, if not, but certainly this lens isn't listed on the Ikelite PDF that I have read. May have to look at other options, including diopter. Once again, many thanks for your input and help.

Edited by spudgun

Sponsors

Advertisements