Sign in to follow this  
haring

Canon Dual Pixel AF working underwater?

Does anybody know whether Canon's Dual Pixel Autofocus works underwater?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I do not see why not. The camera does not know it is underwater (unless naked and then it will die fast).

BTW I have shot topside underwater video of salmon using the AF of the 7D2 and 1DX2. The cameras had no trouble following the action when I looked, i.e. the AF boxes were jumping around). I had a relatively high vantage point with the cameras pointing down with telephoto lenses. As kind of a joke I have a frame grab of the video I took of two salmon species spawning together on the homepage slide show that was done with AF - there is a housing on the other side of the couple as I was shooting stills of them at the same time.

To save you time I exported a jpeg of the frame grab. The resolution is higher on my website than here. Note that the fish are blurry due to surface waves. This is from 2015 and done with the 7D2 and 100-400II lens. Probably a polarizer as well.

post-3540-0-93353600-1483994041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom_Kline

I thought I read that this was activated by touching the LCD screen which obviously can't be done under water. Maybe I mis read though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I read that this was activated by touching the LCD screen which obviously can't be done under water. Maybe I mis read though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True but AF will start OK if one activates AF with the shutter release but the selected point will be automatic, one just cannot use the screen to move the box. One CAN however use the joystick to move the box. I have the 1Dx2 on my lap as I write this and have just done this.

Check this out: http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=258

I have my body configured to use the shutter release button to activate video so when I push the set button the AF box goes to the center. This is not what the above article says but it may be a result of how I have my body configured.

Edited by Tom_Kline

Thanks!

Hi Haring,

This may be useful:

This was done with the 7DMKII, but I've used it on 70D, 5DMKIV, and 1DXMKII as well. In my experience, the Dual Pixel AF has been exceptionally accurate and worked very well compared to other large sensor camera's I've tried w/ continuous AF while filming. Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

Hi Haring,

This may be useful:

This was done with the 7DMKII, but I've used it on 70D, 5DMKIV, and 1DXMKII as well. In my experience, the Dual Pixel AF has been exceptionally accurate and worked very well compared to other large sensor camera's I've tried w/ continuous AF while filming. Hope that helps :)

This is what I was looking for!!!! LOL! Thanks!

Thanks to everybody!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements