Davide DB

High ISO Pana GH4 clip to share

Hi all,

As the title says.
Has someone some original underwater clip from a GH4 shot at high ISO to share?

I mean ISO 1000 or 1250 at least.

Thank you in advance

• Like 1

Eh.. things already start to get quite noisy at ISO 800 with significant white balance adjustments at depth.

The reef shark footage below was shot at ISO800 with custom white balance off my palm at 20-25m:

https://vimeo.com/188404391

• Like 2

Eh.. things already start to get quite noisy at ISO 800 with significant white balance adjustments at depth.

This really demonstrate how much these things are subjective. :lol2: It's perfect to my eyes.

For my type of diving I never worked at less than ISO 1000 with my old GH2 and GH3. I know they are noisy but when you are there you have to bite the bullet.

I was curious to understand if there is a real improvement with the now obsolete GH4 and I could serenely work at ISO 1250. :mocking:

Thank you for your example.

This really demonstrate how much these things are subjective. :lol2: It's perfect to my eyes.

For my type of diving I never worked at less than ISO 1000 with my old GH2 and GH3. I know they are noisy but when you are there you have to bite the bullet.

I was curious to understand if there is a real improvement with the now obsolete GH4 and I could serenely work at ISO 1250. :mocking:

Thank you for your example.

I think it depends on what size you're viewing the footage in -- and I suggest downloading the original rather than looking at the Vimeo stream, as the Vimeo compression may be smoothing out some of the noise. On a phone or laptop display, the noise might not be obvious, but once blown up to HDTV size, it's pretty obvious (to me anyway).

Also, add color correction to try to adjust the purple water column for example, and the noise becomes considerably worse. That can be counteracted to some extent by using noise reduction in post, of course.

Hi all,

As the title says.

Has someone some original underwater clip from a GH4 shot at high ISO to share?

I mean ISO 1000 or 1250 at least.

Thank you in advance

I have quite a bit of high iso footage I can send you. PM me your email address and I will send some via wetransfer. From looking at your previous footage, you tend to shoot primarily wide angle, with video lights on the foreground/subject, correct? You won't get nearly as much noise with this kind of shooting. The background will be much more blue, as it is with the GH3 and GH3, but will be a much cleaner image then trying to shoot with all ambient, or requiring the camera to shift WB across the entire image.

• Like 2

Sorry Davide, looked through all my FCPX Projects I can't find the dive I did looking at all the ISOs and Colour Profiles. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have quite a bit of high iso footage I can send you. PM me your email address and I will send some via wetransfer. From looking at your previous footage, you tend to shoot primarily wide angle, with video lights on the foreground/subject, correct? You won't get nearly as much noise with this kind of shooting. The background will be much more blue, as it is with the GH3 and GH3, but will be a much cleaner image then trying to shoot with all ambient, or requiring the camera to shift WB across the entire image.

Really thank you. You have a PM

Sponsors

Advertisements