I've recently purchased the Neewer housing for the Sony a6000. I understand this is a rebranded version of the Meikon housing (cheap! cheap! cheap!). One of the differences between the 2 housings is that the Neewer version does not include o-ring silicon grease. So, I thought, no problem: I'll just go to the hardware store and buy a bit of silicon grease. That'll do the job, right?

Well...subsequent research has revealed that there are different varieties of silicon grease, some of which may damage the o-ring. My question is this: what sort of silicon grease should I use? Where would I get that grease? (Meikon sells a grease, but they oddly do not ship to my zip code--I live in San Francisco, CA, USA.)

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can provide!

Interestingly, the Neewer company responded to the email I'd written them requesting information on how to get o-ring grease with this: "...o-ring grease is not necessary. But if you need it, you could order the grease elsewhere."

Sigh. But Meikon told me that they'd ship to me if I made at least a $20 purchase. So, I bought three tubes of grease from them--I'll be thoroughly lubed up :-)

Ah, but is Trident Silicone Grease good for the Neewer/Meikon o-rings? That's what puzzles me: how can any particular silicone grease be better or worse for a different manufacturer's o-rings? Aren't they all made of the same materials? I mean, I understand that a petroleum-based grease would cause a rubber o-ring to decay, but....a silicone grease?

Sponsors

Advertisements