Sign in to follow this  
Jason_D

1 year with a camera!

Ok, so i got my first dslr camera in December 2015 and I really enjoy taking photos! The reason for getting it was I was spending 4 months backpacking Asia. Anyway, here's a link to my FB page, and a site my brother has made for me.

Most pics taken with a nikon D3200 and an 18-55mm kit lens, but I've now moved to a D7200. Mostly topside so far, but I'mm getting a proper housing for the D7200 soon and hope to add a lot more UW shots soon

https://www.facebook.com/jmdimagery/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

http://jmdimagery.co.uk/

Criticism & advice always welcome.

Edited by Jason_D

You have some cracking topside images, Jason. I love the traffic ones in the city. Terrific. You have quite an eye.

If I might offer a suggestion on the u/w ones. On some of the pics it can be hard to distinguish the critter from the background. Not easy I appreciate and something of a counsel of perfection but I'd offer two suggestions which have really helped me:

- never bother shooting down - shoot up and highlight the critter;

- and then the one I find works best: pick the background and either look for a critter on it or wait for a critter to show up. In this way you can find a backdrop which will show the subject to the best advantage. It might be a single colour coral - say an orange elephant ear sponge; or it might be a shape, say the lines of brain coral. I've found this reduces the problem of the subject getting lost in the background, can produce a more graphic, punchy image - but, yes, you might get to photograph less critters!

Like I say, counsels of perfection but they have really helped me.

Three pics which I hope help illustrate what I mean:

post-2756-0-87654200-1486323669_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-97423600-1486323680_thumb.jpg

post-2756-0-87223300-1486323690_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice Tim. I've seen plenty of times that shooting up is a must, but it's the 1st time I've read about picking the background, and it looks great. I will 100% be trying that!

All of my UW shots were taken before I joined this wonderful forum. I've learnt so much since I've been here, and i can't wait to get my hands on my new housing and get it in the water, even though my 1st dives with it will be in a quarry in England.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements