Terrierist

Canon G Series Powershot and SEA&SEA YS 03

Hello all, thanks for reading this post.

I am looking to buy a reasonable (for me!) strobe and am looking for some advice.

I am using a Canon Powershot G series camera and looking to pair this with a Sea&Sea YS03, I don't understand the difference between E-TTL (which I believe the G Series uses) and TTL and note that the YS03 uses TTL.

So, would the YS03 work with a G series Canon is the question!

Thanks in advance for any help.

For you, ETTL is a red herring. You are worried about using a strobe as an optical slave.

TTL means Through The Lens. Basic concept is the camera adjusts the exposure by recording the amount of light coming in "through the lens" and hitting the film or sensor.

When using a flash TTL normally includes a mechanism for the camera to control the attached flash. Each manufacturer developed their own proprietary camera to flash protocol. TTL flash systems provide automatic exposure control.

ETTL is the marketing name for Canons wired digital protocol that is exchanged between the camera and a flash via the cameras hotshoe. You are not using a hotshoe or a wired strobe (or most likely should not be considering this due to cost and complexity.).

A strobe that supports TTL is just an optical slave flash that will mimic the on - off pattern of the cameras builtin flash. a digital TTL cameras flash produces a series of very quick flashes. Modern optical strobes have been designed (mostly) to support multiple quick flashes. Ancient optical strobes do not. Hence new strobes are labelled as "TTL".

Since each camera is different and each strobe is different, some combos do not work together. If you see a dealer providing a camera - strobe package then you can be confident the strobe will work. Often the strobe manufacturer will provide a list of compatible cameras.

Hi,

Just join the forum, and try to give my experience.

I have experience using Canon S110 also Canon G12 with sea and sea YS-03.

The package is very good for newbie like me, because i just set the camera preset, than the flash light follow the setting. It always bright. :)

But, sometime not meet the expectation if you want to get dramatic picture, because YS-03 is full TTL and people use manual setting at the flash light to get the dramatic picture.

Cheers.

Chris.

Sponsors

Advertisements