Stapler

Is it a dumb idea to buy a new manual only strobe? And some other beginner questions about the Symbiosis SS-2.

Hello,

I have had an A6000 and been diving for a couple of years but just got into underwater photo. I got an cheap meikon housing with tray. I want to do probably 70% photo and 30% video but mainly dive on trips so I dont want to lug around a lot of gear.

I am looking into the Symbiosis system since it seems to be the only system with both strobe and video light. Since I know next to nothing about uw photo I have some questions I would be grateful to get an answer to. I probably want to buy one strobe now and evantually a second later.

1. Is it a bad idea to buy a brand new strobe without TTL in 2017? I dont know my shooting patterns so maybe I will regret it?

2. The dive lights on sybiosis are 2000lumens at 120 angle. Is that enough for my little camera? Should I just upgrade to the 4000 lumen heads right of the bat? I can prob get a discount on buying the 4000lm head without first buying the 2000lm ones.

3. I havent seen any comparisons of the about the uniformity of the beam on the Symbiosis compared to the competition (Inon Z240, S&S YS-D2). Also this http://wetpixel.com/articles/preview-retra-strobe-by-alex-mustard seems very interesting and they have a good introduction price price. Maybe wait for the Retra?

4. Has anyone tried the dome diffuser on the symbiosis?

5. Floats? My camera+housing+tray seems more or less neutrally buoyant. Now if I add one Symbiosis @ 1kg will I need any float arms? Or just buy normal arms and buy add on floats later.

Thank you!

I have the A6300 and the Symbiosis SS-2. I always use manual mode on camera and flash (I had a pair of Sea&Sea YS-D1, and always used them in manual too). From my experience you get better pictures when using manual mode. You can control, how the pictures turn out. You might want to get the book from Alex Mustard, it has some great tips.

You'll find as many opinions on manual vs TTL as there are days in a year, maybe more. When I was just starting UW photo, I found TTL to be useful in some cases, esp. if you can adjust the exposure on your camera by shooting in manual.. Now I shoot about 30% TTL and the rest manual strobes. Use TTL mostly for macro. I'm not familiar with the SS-2. I use the D1s and love them.

looking at getting the same strobes for my Sony a7ii setup for the fact of strobes and video lights in a cheap affordable package, let me know how you go!

Sponsors

Advertisements