jrosenf

How do you keep track of which photos are shot with wet diopters?

This afternoon, I received a Saga Trio lens which allows for 0, +5, +10 and +15 magnification. Having never shot with a wet diopter before, I'm wondering if there's any way to keep track of which photos on a given dive are shot with the diopter. Obviously the diopter info won't show up in the Exif since the camera has no way of knowing it's there.

Seems to me that simply trying to make a mental note would be problematic given the the likelihood of shooting hundreds of photos over the course of a day. Any suggestions or methods that work for those of you using a wet diopter on some of your photos but not others? Thanks!

You would probably have to guess it from the subjects. Keep in mind that the diopters work best if your lens is at 1:1 / minimum focus.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You could take a shot of the diopter each time you put a new one on the housing ?

Make a ID stick from a tongue depressor with a 0 on one end, a 5 on the other end flip it over and put a 10 on one end and 15 on the other. Coat it with epoxy and put it on a string attached to your rig. When you have finished taking some pictures take a picture of the proper end of the tongue depressor corresponding with the diopter just used. Then you will know that the previous pictures were taken with a (XX) diopter.

It will be easier to do this after the pictures as opposed to before the picture. You will have to make this a habit to work.

The other option is to put the proper ID end of the tongue depressor in each shot and crop it out later.

Good luck.

Edited by blibecap
  • Like 1

You may be over thinking this? My world is very simple. I now only use a single diopter lens.

I have a choice of subsee +5 or +10 but have gravitated to only using the +10. Flipping between the lens incurred a little extra task loading (i had a dual flip adapter), but the right answer was always +10. So I stopped using the +5. Problem solved.

If you shoot the same subject using all the different lens then you will be able to visually identify which is which. But I claim you will quickly settle into a comfort zone of only using 1 of the lens.

I'm curious why "the right answer was always +10". I have both and find the +5 is almost always a better choice (magnification is not much less and working distance is greater making lighting easier). Maybe different lenses? I'm using the Oly 60mm macro on m4/3.

I'm curious why "the right answer was always +10". I have both and find the +5 is almost always a better choice (magnification is not much less and working distance is greater making lighting easier). Maybe different lenses? I'm using the Oly 60mm macro on m4/3.

I am using a G16 with a 140mm lens and desire the largest magnification possible. Hence the +10.

Lighting has never been a problem since I rely totally on strobe light. For macro shots I tend to position my strobes on each side of the lens pointing towards each other (and the subject). This approach does not work very well with skittish subjects.

Sponsors

Advertisements