Great to read about the flexibility introduced with the smartphone connectivity, the Retra guys literally thought outside the box.

One thing not mentioned in Alex’s video is the leak monitor / water tightness test. Hope this is still part of the specs of the production flash.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Yeah the leak detection is still part of the strobe. My video was a one-take-live effort - so I didn't remember everything - or explain everything quite as clearly as I would in an edited, written review. The App is awesome - they already added something for me to test in Egypt and I was able to update both strobes and to have a different function on one of the User modes!

Alex

Yeah the leak detection is still part of the strobe. My video was a one-take-live effort - so I didn't remember everything - or explain everything quite as clearly as I would in an edited, written review. The App is awesome - they already added something for me to test in Egypt and I was able to update both strobes and to have a different function on one of the User modes!
Alex

Great stuff, enjoy the red sea Alex!

Am dying to hear some reviews of the new versions... I haven’t pre-ordered and am keen to do so, but unsure whether to choose the Primes or the Pros. Any hands-on advice comparing both would be greatly appreciated! M

Would love to hear an update as Retra were supposed to ship second half of October :)

Sent them an email last week and they replied within a few hours: 

"First packages are expected to go out at the end of October / beginning of November."

Based on this I am realistically expecting my order in end of November or early December...

My experience with Retra 1.0 was I had the strobes in my hands in western Canada less that 48 hours after they shipped from Slovenia.

It looks like the first severalpairs have been shipped (and received). I have it on good authority that one of WetPixel's' members may be dving with a pair in BC right now ;) 

Hoping for mine before trip to Philippines in Dec.

What is the fastest shutter speed you can use with the E-Opto converter? There is no specs about this on the website.

Why would a LED trigger limit your shutter speed?

It's clear that this so called "E-Opto converter" is only an LED connected to a battery that is triggered by the electronics inside your housing/hotshoe. If you want HSS sync you need special electronics in your housing that mimic a speedlight on a hotshoe and fool the camera to synchronise correctly. Although HSS is an acronym for High Speed Sync the fact is that the system has no basis on speed or how fast the synchronisation is made! Basically it just needs to time the flash correctly and then the strobe does all the works by emitting a special long duration pulse. Here is a nice article explaining HSS: https://www.elinchrom.com/learn/hss-hs.html

Furthermore they say it works only for manual mode, not even TTL. Go figure, since the price is peanuts compared to TTL converters for underwater housings...

1 hour ago, Jerry Diver said:

Why would a LED trigger limit your shutter speed?

It's clear that this so called "E-Opto converter" is only an LED connected to a battery that is triggered by the electronics inside your housing/hotshoe. If you want HSS sync you need special electronics in your housing that mimic a speedlight on a hotshoe and fool the camera to synchronise correctly. Although HSS is an acronym for High Speed Sync the fact is that the system has no basis on speed or how fast the synchronisation is made! Basically it just needs to time the flash correctly and then the strobe does all the works by emitting a special long duration pulse. Here is a nice article explaining HSS: https://www.elinchrom.com/learn/hss-hs.html

Furthermore they say it works only for manual mode, not even TTL. Go figure, since the price is peanuts compared to TTL converters for underwater housings...

I was assuming that the E-Opto worked like the TTL-converters like S&S etc. Now I know better thanks to you.

Thank you Jerry

On 10/18/2019 at 9:56 AM, Jerry Diver said:

If you want HSS sync you need special electronics

What is preventing optical trigger on a front curtain, with a preset pulse duration? If I recall, my D500 allows me to exceed my flash sync (Auto FP), and I just get black banding issues.  If the flash was in a "HSS pulse" mode - shouldn't this get me work? 

I think Canon behaves differently, but as a Nikon shooter... 

*Edit*  maybe the duration is still tied to the pin going low?  

Edited by g3cko

50 minutes ago, g3cko said:

What is preventing optical trigger on a front curtain, with a preset pulse duration? If I recall, my D500 allows me to exceed my flash sync (Auto FP), and I just get black banding issues.  If the flash was in a "HSS pulse" mode - shouldn't this get me work? 

I think Canon behaves differently, but as a Nikon shooter... 

*Edit*  maybe the duration is still tied to the pin going low?  

You could do HSS mode if you put your Speedlite in an underwater housing.

No underwater strobe that I know currently support HSS or the kind of pulse required for HSS, so you could not do that with a TTL cable, even less with an optical converter.

So for the initial question:

On 10/18/2019 at 8:01 AM, Scotzh said:

What is the fastest shutter speed you can use with the E-Opto converter? There is no specs about this on the website.

The answer is on the Retra website: this is a manual strobe trigger. So you can trigger the flash in manual mode, at the highest speed supported by your camera for manual flash mode. This defers from camera to camera, to Retra cannot specify it.

47 minutes ago, Algwyn said:

You could do HSS mode if you put your Speedlite in an underwater housing.

No underwater strobe that I know currently support HSS or the kind of pulse required for HSS, so you could not do that with a TTL cable, even less with an optical converter

I'm not sure I see the relevance?   I'm aware you can use topside flash underwater (with a housing and electrical cable), but this thread is about the Retra flash, which mentions "HSS ready" for the Pro/Prime.  

Are you inferring the "pulses" in HSS are controlled by the camera body?   

Sorry, my mistake! Didn't notice that the Retra Pro/Prime are "HSS" ready. We will have to chech how this work when they are released, or when this feature is enabled (maybe through the app).

• Like 1

The retra has no electrical connection, only optical, you can connect to an electrical sync cable with a converter.  So one of two things would be needed to give you HSS - the camera has an onboard flash that it TTL capable or an electrical to optical HSS capable converter would be required to connect up electrically.  Which means it must have the capability to mimic the HSS pulsing via its slave sensor.  If your camera does not have an onboard flash someone would need to develop a TTL capable trigger or electrical-optical adapter for your particular model.  There may be other ways to do it I haven't thought of but that seems to be the basic requirement given the triggering capability of the Retra.

1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

The retra has no electrical connection, only optical, you can connect to an electrical sync cable with a converter.  So one of two things would be needed to give you HSS - the camera has an onboard flash that it TTL capable or an electrical to optical HSS capable converter would be required to connect up electrically.  Which means it must have the capability to mimic the HSS pulsing via its slave sensor.  If your camera does not have an onboard flash someone would need to develop a TTL capable trigger or electrical-optical adapter for your particular model.  There may be other ways to do it I haven't thought of but that seems to be the basic requirement given the triggering capability of the Retra.

I'm not aware of any cameras with an onboard flash capable of HSS, so I'm guessing that a trigger will be mandatory. On my Sony A6300, shutter speed is restricted to 1/160 whenever the flash is up. However, Pavel has posted a while ago that UW-Technics converters will support the Retra HSS mode. 

• Like 1

I received this morning an email from Retra: they are postponing by 2 weeks the start of shipping of the new Retra stobes.

I won't be able to get them for my diving trip in November :(

I am curious.  Maybe they were not more clear, but if they were, is it two weeks from now, or two weeks from the early November estimated ship date?  I am anxious to see some user reports.

As I read what I wrote above, it isn't very coherent.  What is the current expected shipping time frame, if you know...their website still says estimated delivery in October, so that has not been updated yet.

Edited by Draq

Two weeks from initial ship date of end of October / beginning of November.

We should now expect first shipments mid-November

We can only hope.

When I contacted Oskar at Retra to place my order 3 weeks ago, he said they would be shipped mid November. They will arrive very quickly after they are shipped. I am guessing by my lateness in ordering, I am at the back of the  queue.

I feel for the guys (and gals) who are planning trips around now, but Retra has been clear that the shipping dates are guidelines only...

It seems nothing moves fast in the heady world of strobe development, and who knows what the holdups are. I will say that when I received my V1.0 strobes, they were definitely worth the wait.

ian

Indeed, the Retra team has been very clear when I ordered that they could not guarantee delivery on time for my trip. But they also indicated that in that case I could cancel my order and get a full refund.

They informed me as soon as the delay was confirmed. Overall I find that they managed that quite well, despite my disappointment at not being able to test these new strobes during this trip.

It'll be a "one strobe challenge" trip, as one of my current strobes is dead (a YS-D2 ... )

On 10/23/2019 at 6:47 AM, Barmaglot said:

I'm not aware of any cameras with an onboard flash capable of HSS, so I'm guessing that a trigger will be mandatory. On my Sony A6300, shutter speed is restricted to 1/160 whenever the flash is up. However, Pavel has posted a while ago that UW-Technics converters will support the Retra HSS mode. 

Many Nikon DLSR"s with pop-up flash have HSS support.   My D300, D700, D800e and D810 all have it.

PhxAZCraig

Just got this email :(

Dear Photographers

First of all we would like to thank you for your support thus far. The flashgun we are producing would not be made possible without your participation. 

Unfortunately we have some bad news. Despite our best efforts to start shipping the new Retra Flash before the end of October we have run into a delay with the production process. To make the flashgun of the highest possible quality we had to change and manufacture additional tools for the production and assembly process. Although this has added more costs it will unfortunately also take more time to complete the production run. Our main priority is to ensure the products will be of the highest possible quality. 

The good news is that 80% of the production process is completed thanks to our incredibly hard working team. Please see attached images. 
All the housings are assembled and the majority of electronics components have been pre-assembled and tested. Both sets will be paired during the next couple of weeks once all the necessary tools are available. After this we can start with the final assembly and testing before the flash units are packed and shipped. We are estimating the first flashguns will be shipping before mid-January 2020.

We understand that this delay is unexpectedly longer and that many of you will need the flashguns before. We sincerely apologise for the delay. 

Thank you for your ongoing patience and support.

Your Retra UWT Team

Sponsors

Advertisements