Just got a message from Retra that they will delay shipping until mid-January 2020. 

Although I am disappointed because I will not have their new strobes for my December trip I am not surprised in the slightest. Recently I spoke with a friend who is working in development of a strobe product in the beauty industry (hair removal is basically strobes) and after inspecting the specifications of the upcoming strobe by Retra he was surprised they handled it on such short term. They must have a team of super focused engineers and super hard working ones too. 

Anyway I am glad to hear they are putting quality before delivery dates because I plan to use the strobes for many more diving trips.

I had the fortunate opportunity to try a set of pre-production Retra Pros on a recent trip in Raja Ampat. As part of a rotation of eager test-divers I used them on 2 consecutive wide angle dives. (Other equipment: D800 and Nikon RS13)

My impression, similarly to other's is as follows:

- WOW - what a lot of light! And nice quality light too (with the softening filters in place)

- Much more powerful, even at 50%, than my trusty Inon Z240s

- That power comes at a cost of eating batteries rapidly; to be "safe" the batteries were changed after every dive as one dive (~ 200 shots using 25%-100% strobe power setting) brought fresh off the charger Eneloop "Black" batteries from 100% (full green) to yellow advisory charge state.

- The led color indicator is a useful way to get rapid info on the state of the strobe/ batteries/ readiness

- I appreciate the ability to program for custom settings and gain info about the strobe via an app, but wonder how useful those functions would really be in the future. With few reference points for comparison what does the number of strobe activations "mean"?

Do I want a set? Absolutely!

Do I want to be an early adopter?  At nearly $1000 USD/ strobe it's a big investment. I would certainly want any/ all the "bugs" worked out especially as service from the USA adds a level of difficulty/ expense.

Edited by DocTock
  • Like 1

Anyone heard back from Retra on the strobes readiness?
Yes, have got a dive trip planned soon (early Feb), and the subject matter would certainly benefit larger strobes :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I've sent them an email a couple days ago and among other things I also got this reply: "We start shipments in mid-January in the week starting with 20th January. We expect all pre-orders will be sent in 4-5 weeks."

Unless you've ordered early on I wouldn't be counting on them for 1st February.

Would be great if the strobes are indeed sent out mid-January. Was unlucky to have one of my strobes flooded just before the initial shipping date, and have been managing with one strobe since then. If I had known about the delay I would have bought a cheap second hand strobe to use meanwhile. C'est la vie! :)

On 11/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, DocTock said:

- That power comes at a cost of eating batteries rapidly; to be "safe" the batteries were changed after every dive as one dive (~ 200 shots using 25%-100% strobe power setting) brought fresh off the charger Eneloop "Black" batteries from 100% (full green) to yellow advisory charge state.

Thank you for the feedback.

With the Original Retra Flash we had 4 lights: 1 red and 3 green. Green lights started to turn off once the battery voltage was decreased. Once the battery was drained only the red light remained.

With the new Retra Flash PRO/Prime we have a multi-color indicator with 4 colors for battery indication: green, yellow, red and a blinking red. These are divided into approximately! 25% steps - we can not determine a super precise percentage because it depends greatly on battery age, temperature, etc. This means that red light is 25%-50% battery and yellow is 50%-75% approximately(!). With a yellow light your will therefore usually have more than half the battery remaining. This may not be enough if you are expecting a longer dive but if you have a shorter dive coming up it could suffice. 

In general the battery consumption is greater with the new Retra Flash PRO because of increased power on the pilot light and the flash output. This means you might need to recharge the standard pack of 4xAA batteries after a photo intensive dive. We recommend black eneloop pro batteries as they offer increased capacity compared with the standard white eneloops. We were getting about 25% more shots in our tests with the black eneloops. 

An extended battery compartment is in the works and will be introduced in the coming weeks once the majority of pre-orders are sent. This new product will increase the number of flashes by approximately 2x and decrease the recycle time by approximately 0.5x. More details once it will be announced.

Also keep in mind that if you are using the flash and switch immediately to BATT/TEST mode the battery indication may not be correct as the battery voltage hasn't settled. In most cases to get the best measurement the batteries should have about 30 seconds off time before making the measurement.

59 minutes ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

in the coming weeks once the majority of pre-orders are sent

:dance:

59 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

:dance:

:bananashark: +1 !!!

Did anyone receive any shipping notices from Retra?

The week of Jan 20 was supposed to be the start of shipping pre-orders...

ian

Still waiting on mine since November 2018.

I placed my order on December 11th, 2018; still no word on shipping. This has probably saved me a few thousand dollars - I was > < this close to pulling the trigger on a 30% off deal on an 11-night Maldives liveaboard in the first half of February, and the thing that stayed my hand was knowledge that the strobes are almost guaranteed to not arrive in time for it :cry:

1 hour ago, Barmaglot said:

I placed my order on December 11th, 2018; still no word on shipping. This has probably saved me a few thousand dollars - I was > < this close to pulling the trigger on a 30% off deal on an 11-night Maldives liveaboard in the first half of February, and the thing that stayed my hand was knowledge that the strobes are almost guaranteed to not arrive in time for it :cry:

Phew. Money saved there, eh! :P

2 hours ago, TimG said:

Phew. Money saved there, eh! :P

Every cloud has a silver lining, right? ;) I'm definitely taking them to Eilat first thing though, if and when they land.

33 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:

Every cloud has a silver lining, right? ;) I'm definitely taking them to Eilat first thing though, if and when they land.

Right!

"If".......

First shipments have gone out. It will take 3-4 weeks before all pre-orders are sent so everyone will be getting shipping emails in the next weeks. 

Since seeing Oskar’s post this morning, I have reached out to Retra to get a few more specifics. According to Kristina at Retra UWT, “We are shipping Retra Flash PRO at the moment and the Retra Flash Prime will start shipping by the end of next week.” 

I just got a marketing email from Retra saying that the strobes are shipping, but no actual shipping notification for my order so far. However, looking in Google Play, the strobe companion app is available, and it includes a user manual for the strobes.

I just received a DHL notice from Retra... the stobes were shipped yesterday, due for delivery Feb 4.

They are currently in the air... yipppeee!

ian

I just got my new strobes and physically they are beautiful, even the neoprene sleeves look awesome on them. Hopefully the wheatear this weekend will allow for diving here.
With out yet been shooting underwater, my only complain would be is that it looks easy to scratch the front acrylic. Retra sells protectors to use when not using diffusers or reducers. Those bits are now ordered.
Bluetooth connectivity seems to work well, but I have only been playing with the pilot light intensity. 
Now we have to wait for a new trigger with HSS, it will be interesting to try HSS.
Only time will tell if the new strobes are as reliable as the trusty Inons Z240. I hope they do.

Kind regards,
Joss

• Like 2

Just received notice that mine are shipping on February 3rd. Just in time for my trip to the Blue Heron Bridge and the Florida Keys. Can't wait to try them.

Just got mine today in Switzerland. They seem and feel very solid. Nice compact size. I already download the app in my iPhone.  Hopefully I will be able to test them in 2 weeks or so. 

5A6BCA32-2BCD-4DCB-9331-5FB6D54E78DE.jpeg

F77F2AB1-F37B-496C-83EE-F07EB62519E6.jpeg

74ADE2C6-DCB1-48A4-B8EF-5D8E6876A0BB.jpeg

E785FB2A-E7AA-4AD0-9750-B6FE37746CA0.jpeg

1FB3C34C-140D-4308-A4C9-2363277452EC.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Marcelo Krause said:

I already download the app in my iPhone.  Hopefully I will be able to test them in 2 weeks or so. 

What is the name of the Retra App? I searched it in the App Store, but could not find it. 

Sponsors

Advertisements