You're welcome.

Please note that the Original Retra Flash has a narrower flash beam and therefore less power is used for snooting. With the Prime/PRO the flash beam is considerably wider and more evenely spread (ideal for wide angle) but this also means that for snooting a higher power level is used to achieve the same result as with with Original.

In any case the new Mounting module will provide much better light output and I guess you already noticed that the pilot light is much brighter with the new models.

8 hours ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

You're welcome.

Please note that the Original Retra Flash has a narrower flash beam and therefore less power is used for snooting. With the Prime/PRO the flash beam is considerably wider and more evenely spread (ideal for wide angle) but this also means that for snooting a higher power level is used to achieve the same result as with with Original.

In any case the new Mounting module will provide much better light output and I guess you already noticed that the pilot light is much brighter with the new models.

I will test it as soon as i can and hope to get rid of my doubts.   

The reason i bought the pro was the more powerfull strobe and the more lumens pilotlight for snooting.  I never thought about physics of the flashbeam that would result in a need for higher flash output by snooting, more battery drain and longer recycle times for my snooting.   

I really loved the original retra for snooting, only there was the known thermal problem when snooting with the pilotlight at his highest setting.  

As last, i think Retra really did a great job and they build very good hardware.  So this is really not a way to bring Retra down or make other people doubt about retra. 

12 hours ago, kevinds said:

I really loved the original retra for snooting, only there was the known thermal problem when snooting with the pilotlight at his highest setting.  

Unfortunately the Original Retra Flash does not have any option to update firmware outside of our workshop but this can be solved if you send the product to us for a firmware update.

The pilot light output of the Prime/PRO is substantially improved for snooting and makes the whole process of positioning and aiming much easier. If a short recycle time is needed the Supercharger is available. For reference please take a look at the macro focused review of the Retra Flash PRO by Mike Bartick: http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/macro-critters-anilao-philippines-retra-flash-pro

If you are snooting, I can really recommend the Supercharger.

I've now used mine for 4-5 dives and it makes a big difference to how much shooting you can do in snoot mode - bearing in mind that, in general, with the Retra Prime, I have to go +2 or even +3 on the Retra power dial with a snoot in place. Less maybe with the Pro. But still heavy on batteries. The Supercharger solves that. It too is beautifully designed and built

26 minutes ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

Unfortunately the Original Retra Flash does not have any option to update firmware outside of our workshop but this can be solved if you send the product to us for a firmware update.

Thanks Oskar. I recently sended my original retra in for a repair. So with a bit of luck, they also updated the firmware? 

Thanks a lot for the link and feedback! 

28 minutes ago, TimG said:

If you are snooting, I can really recommend the Supercharger.

I've now used mine for 4-5 dives and it makes a big difference to how much shooting you can do in snoot mode - bearing in mind that, in general, with the Retra Prime, I have to go +2 or even +3 on the Retra power dial with a snoot in place. Less maybe with the Pro. But still heavy on batteries. The Supercharger solves that. It too is beautifully designed and built

Thanks a lot TimG.  I will certainly do some further testing and will think about the supercharger addon.    

Thanks guys!! 

4 minutes ago, kevinds said:

Thanks Oskar. I recently sended my original retra in for a repair. So with a bit of luck, they also updated the firmware? 

If they were serviced by us in 2020 or 2019 they have for sure been updated and the problem is solved.

Sponsors

Advertisements