You're welcome.

Please note that the Original Retra Flash has a narrower flash beam and therefore less power is used for snooting. With the Prime/PRO the flash beam is considerably wider and more evenely spread (ideal for wide angle) but this also means that for snooting a higher power level is used to achieve the same result as with with Original.

In any case the new Mounting module will provide much better light output and I guess you already noticed that the pilot light is much brighter with the new models.

8 hours ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

You're welcome.

Please note that the Original Retra Flash has a narrower flash beam and therefore less power is used for snooting. With the Prime/PRO the flash beam is considerably wider and more evenely spread (ideal for wide angle) but this also means that for snooting a higher power level is used to achieve the same result as with with Original.

In any case the new Mounting module will provide much better light output and I guess you already noticed that the pilot light is much brighter with the new models.

I will test it as soon as i can and hope to get rid of my doubts.   

The reason i bought the pro was the more powerfull strobe and the more lumens pilotlight for snooting.  I never thought about physics of the flashbeam that would result in a need for higher flash output by snooting, more battery drain and longer recycle times for my snooting.   

I really loved the original retra for snooting, only there was the known thermal problem when snooting with the pilotlight at his highest setting.  

As last, i think Retra really did a great job and they build very good hardware.  So this is really not a way to bring Retra down or make other people doubt about retra. 

12 hours ago, kevinds said:

I really loved the original retra for snooting, only there was the known thermal problem when snooting with the pilotlight at his highest setting.  

Unfortunately the Original Retra Flash does not have any option to update firmware outside of our workshop but this can be solved if you send the product to us for a firmware update.

The pilot light output of the Prime/PRO is substantially improved for snooting and makes the whole process of positioning and aiming much easier. If a short recycle time is needed the Supercharger is available. For reference please take a look at the macro focused review of the Retra Flash PRO by Mike Bartick: http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/macro-critters-anilao-philippines-retra-flash-pro

If you are snooting, I can really recommend the Supercharger.

I've now used mine for 4-5 dives and it makes a big difference to how much shooting you can do in snoot mode - bearing in mind that, in general, with the Retra Prime, I have to go +2 or even +3 on the Retra power dial with a snoot in place. Less maybe with the Pro. But still heavy on batteries. The Supercharger solves that. It too is beautifully designed and built

26 minutes ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

Unfortunately the Original Retra Flash does not have any option to update firmware outside of our workshop but this can be solved if you send the product to us for a firmware update.

Thanks Oskar. I recently sended my original retra in for a repair. So with a bit of luck, they also updated the firmware? 

Thanks a lot for the link and feedback! 

28 minutes ago, TimG said:

If you are snooting, I can really recommend the Supercharger.

I've now used mine for 4-5 dives and it makes a big difference to how much shooting you can do in snoot mode - bearing in mind that, in general, with the Retra Prime, I have to go +2 or even +3 on the Retra power dial with a snoot in place. Less maybe with the Pro. But still heavy on batteries. The Supercharger solves that. It too is beautifully designed and built

Thanks a lot TimG.  I will certainly do some further testing and will think about the supercharger addon.    

Thanks guys!! 

4 minutes ago, kevinds said:

Thanks Oskar. I recently sended my original retra in for a repair. So with a bit of luck, they also updated the firmware? 

If they were serviced by us in 2020 or 2019 they have for sure been updated and the problem is solved.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, ianmarsh said:

I received a shocking bill from DHL for $419 Canadian. That included Federal and Provincial sales tax, and "Brokerage Fees"

I understand the taxes, no way of dodging those. I wonder if the remaining fees would have occurred if I had bought them through Reef or Backscatter in the US.

ian

@ianmarsh  Hi Ian. I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Retra Pro X strobes from Backscatter (I live in BC). You mentioned $420 in fees from DHL – would I be correct with my math in saying ~$100 of this was duty and brokerage fees (i.e.: not taxes)? Thanks!

1 hour ago, darth mollusk said:

@ianmarsh  Hi Ian. I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Retra Pro X strobes from Backscatter (I live in BC). You mentioned $420 in fees from DHL – would I be correct with my math in saying ~$100 of this was duty and brokerage fees (i.e.: not taxes)? Thanks!

You could use the government calculator here to estimate your import charges:  https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

DHL are well known for exorbitant charges for customs clearance.

Thanks Chris. For those who might find this later – based on the numbers from Ian and the gov calculator I expect to be charged tax,  5% duty, and a brokerage fee (hopefully not exorbitant). I've ordered straight from Retra as the duty charges are based on where the item is manufactured not purchased (so I would be charged the same from Backscatter -- only difference is exchange rate (EU vs US) and a different courier). 

21 hours ago, darth mollusk said:

Thanks Chris. For those who might find this later – based on the numbers from Ian and the gov calculator I expect to be charged tax,  5% duty, and a brokerage fee (hopefully not exorbitant). I've ordered straight from Retra as the duty charges are based on where the item is manufactured not purchased (so I would be charged the same from Backscatter -- only difference is exchange rate (EU vs US) and a different courier). 

Hey Darth, (if that is your real name)

Sorry, I just saw this. That was quite awhile ago, but if I remember, DHL charged something like $125 in "Brokerage Fees".

Typically this is a $10 fee if you use Canada Post/ USPS, so I'm not sure what service DHL is providing. The other thing is that this gouging seems to be more related to DHL in the EU. I ran into a similar scenario ordering parts from Seacam in Austria and shipped via DHL. I wonder if it has to do with crossing borders, although that was supposed to be the point of the EU.

On the other hand I recently bought some bike parts (worldwide shortage!) from a shop in Singapore, shipped to my door in 3 days by DHL, and there were no fees apart from taxes. Country of Origin for duty purposes was USA, so not sure if that is something to do with NAFTA, or whatever it is called now.

Anyway, I think the best bet is to use only postal services, rather than couriers. Couriers all have a similar modus operandi of gouging with unspecified charges, Fedex being the worst domestically. FWIW, I do a lot on line, and while postal is slow, the mail always seems to end up on your doorstep.

5 hours ago, ianmarsh said:

Hey Darth, (if that is your real name)

Sorry, I just saw this. That was quite awhile ago, but if I remember, DHL charged something like $125 in "Brokerage Fees".

Typically this is a $10 fee if you use Canada Post/ USPS, so I'm not sure what service DHL is providing. The other thing is that this gouging seems to be more related to DHL in the EU. I ran into a similar scenario ordering parts from Seacam in Austria and shipped via DHL. I wonder if it has to do with crossing borders, although that was supposed to be the point of the EU.

On the other hand I recently bought some bike parts (worldwide shortage!) from a shop in Singapore, shipped to my door in 3 days by DHL, and there were no fees apart from taxes. Country of Origin for duty purposes was USA, so not sure if that is something to do with NAFTA, or whatever it is called now.

Anyway, I think the best bet is to use only postal services, rather than couriers. Couriers all have a similar modus operandi of gouging with unspecified charges, Fedex being the worst domestically. FWIW, I do a lot on line, and while postal is slow, the mail always seems to end up on your doorstep.

Thanks Ian, all good information to know! I had two options ordering the Retra strobes – Backscatter or Retra. Neither offered a postal option so I went with Retra (slightly better exchange rate and I prefer directly supporting small business when possible). We'll see if I get nailed with ridiculous brokerage fees – should know by the end of next week. I'lll post here for others who might also be wondering...

Markus

Update on cost to order Retra Pro's from Retra in the EU: DHL International must be reading this thread – I only got charged tax (12% here in BC) and an $18 border service fee. No duty. Exchange rates are effectively the same for EU and US conversions at the moment – if that's still true when you read this, order from Retra... 

Just got back from a very good week's diving off the island of Saba in the Dutch Caribbean - from the Caribbean Explorer II liveaboard which I can recommend.

Mid-week I jumped in for one of the dives and, to my horror, when switching one of my Retra Primes on underwater (at about 75' and a good way from the boat!). I got the red/blue flashing battery compartment leak detector signal. SCREAM.

Conditions were quite rough, the boat was a good distance away, there was no bubbles coming from the strobe battery door - and I did not want to screw things up for my partner. So I switched the strobe off.... and pressed on. And I noticed a long brown hair wafting and caught in the battery door (mine are grey)

At the end of a 45 minute dive I got back on the boat and, with trepidation in my heart, unscrewed the battery compartment door: a small drop of water slid out. One of the batteries (Eneloops) has just started to corrode and there was a slight corrosion mark on one of the battery terminals at the bottom of the Retra battery compartment. A wash with fresh water, a spray with contact cleaner and a good air dry... and the system looked as good as new; and worked flawlessly thereafter.

Phew.

Lessons Learned? Don't put your photo gear near anyone with long hair; if you have time, quick strobe rinse tank test; the Retra battery compartment system saved the day;  do not, whatever else you might do, suggest to your girlfriend/partner/buddy that "the hair looked like one of yours".

Sponsors

Advertisements